Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lost D1 Seats: What should we have done better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost D1 Seats: What should we have done better?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would agreee, but there could be cases where the delay is the passenger's fault. An example might be a USA citizen entering without a valid passport.
that's something that certainly should have been flagged at the airport of origin

a better example might be failure to declare something that a Customs agent finds while inspecting the passenger's luggage
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Regardless, poster stated he was a Diamond. A Diamond is far from an infrequent flyer. Last we frequently get post on FT where the user isnt willing to help theirselves.
Well most of us has been using computers for over 20 years but there's still lots of people don't know how to reinstall the Operating System.

As a DM I'm very good at MR, finding creative routings, getting the most of MQM/MQD/Miles, etc. But thanks to the good service by Delta this has been the first time I have to rebook the tickets. Thanks for the community and all the inputs I do learn a lot from this thread.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
What should you have done differently? Booked a C+ aisle seat for your GF and a middle Y seat for yourself.
We switched seats before boarding and it was me who was squeezing in the middle Y seat. Thanks for bringing it up
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by COYG
Well most of us has been using computers for over 20 years but there's still lots of people don't know how to reinstall the Operating System.

As a DM I'm very good at MR, finding creative routings, getting the most of MQM/MQD/Miles, etc. But thanks to the good service by Delta this has been the first time I have to rebook the tickets. Thanks for the community and all the inputs I do learn a lot from this thread.
I can agree with that. My point was that while you might not have known what could be done, saying something is required. Your OP gave the impression that you never said anything. It doesn't take a seasoned traveler to understand they can't do anything, if they don't know there's an issue. Not understanding what you're entitled to is entirely different issue than not saying anything. We've given lots of info. It'd be wasted though if you dont say "hey I'm on a D1 ticket." This was my frustration (that you cleared up in subsequent post). Sadly we get lots of posts on here of that type of nature. "I never said there was an issue, they somehow should've know I had an issue" type posts.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by COYG
Hi folks, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions.

Yesterday my girlfriend (FO) and I (DM) were on a flight from AMS - JFK - SFO, all for D1. I booked in cash and redeemed my miles for her. Our tickets have a 2:30 layover in JFK so we thought it should be fine. But unfortunately we were stuck in the crowds to pass the border and it had been only 20 minutes before our flight departs, and we've yet to check in the luggage for the connection flight.

Then when we walked to check in our luggage, the agent blindly put us on the main cabin of the next flight without giving us the options, and was pretty reluctant to look into other flights so I did not push her further. I was able to get an aisle C+ seat and my girlfriend got a middle seat in Y, as there had been no D1 seats available in that flight. We ended up squeezing in the small seats home albeit paying for D1 for that segment.

I understood the situation that the flight was full and we should have booked the connection flight with longer layover time. But I'm wondering if there's anything I could do better yesterday in such situation. I was thinking of calling the DM help desk the moment we saw the crowd to change our schedule but not ended up doing so. One thing that's iffy in my case is that my girlfriend's ticket did not come with the same reservation number thus I was afraid that she could not be counted as a companion.

May I know if anyone was in similar situation and what's the best strategy to secure the D1 seat if possible? Any thoughts, ideas and comments are highly appreciated.
I would have asked for a flight the next day in D1 or at least in Comfort Plus with the Middle Seat blocked and the First Class Meals plus any downgrade compensation. Also I would ask the agent if they could bump another D1 Passenger who was upgraded. Paid over Upgrade even if paid with miles its treated like revenue.

Another option would be to go to the DL Sky Club and explain the issue and see what they can do. Also ask for your bags to be offloaded and overnight it and get on a flight later in the AM or early afternoon with Food Vouchers, Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation etc.

For me getting the less expensive product does not fly well with me so I would even delay my return to get the full experience I paid for. Sorry a middle seat would not cut it. At the very least a window and aisle in Delta Comfort (Bulkhead) with the middle blocked out and a Full Hot Catered meal. I would even ask Delta to delay the flight until a proper hot meal, desserts were loaded.

I would have also demanded that we sit together and for all alcohol and BOB purchases to be comped. Your Girlfriend got a Basic Economy experience sitting in the middle seat. They could downgrade a Basic Economy Passenger down to the middle seat!

Last edited by danielonn; Sep 5, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:08 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by danielonn
I would have asked for a flight in La Primer or Business Class on Air France or KLM. There is a nonstop AF flight to SFO and sometimes two a day even if its for the next day they would provide you a hotel and food vouchers plus compensation for the delay.
Considering the OP was already at JFK, this wouldn't have helped much.

But if you get DL to rebook you from D1 to La Premiere ... you should go into politics, or cult leadership, or something.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
and the First Class Meals plus any downgrade compensation.
Even the most accommodating DL agent couldn't do this. Reservations can't cater additional meals, nor will the airport crew ask for additional to be catered. Just not going to happen.

Also I would ask the agent if they could bump another D1 Passenger who was upgraded.
Anyone that would have been "upgraded" in advance of the gate would have to use miles or a certificate. Meaning it was a "paid" upgrade. Even if it was a complimentary upgrade given in advance, again, DL would never ever ever ever ever downgrade a Diamond to accommodate another Diamond.

They have to downgrade/displace/rebook someone - why not the person who is already IROPed?

Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation etc.
Why would DL pay IDB over an immigration delay when they have multiple nonstop and connecting flights with seats open? Again, never going to happen.

I would even ask Delta to delay the flight until a proper hot meal, desserts were loaded.
The JFK agents would probably laugh in your face with such an unrealistic request and remove you from the flight if you pulled an antic like this. Not even connected to reality.

I would have also demanded
Demands usually don't end well for the demanding party. Especially when the airline isn't clearly at fault directly for the delay.

Yes, they are responsible for rebooking you, but its not like OP was on a delay after a mechanical issue.

The moral of the story is - IME, DL is one of the most accommodating airlines out there. But your requests (not demands) to them should be grounded in reality - like rebooking on any other DL1 or First Class itinerary.

Demanding completely unrealistic things will just end poorly and in disappointment for the demanding party. I guess it is demands like this that give frequent flyers a poor image in the eyes of some agents.
nwflyboy and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:35 am

I would have asked for a flight the next day in D1 or at least in Comfort Plus with the Middle Seat blocked and the First Class Meals plus any downgrade compensation. Also I would ask the agent if they could bump another D1 Passenger who was upgraded. Paid over Upgrade even if paid with miles its treated like revenue.

Another option would be to go to the DL Sky Club and explain the issue and see what they can do. Also ask for your bags to be offloaded and overnight it and get on a flight later in the AM or early afternoon with Food Vouchers, Involuntary Denied Boarding Compensation etc.

For me getting the less expensive product does not fly well with me so I would even delay my return to get the full experience I paid for. Sorry a middle seat would not cut it. At the very least a window and aisle in Delta Comfort (Bulkhead) with the middle blocked out and a Full Hot Catered meal. I would even ask Delta to delay the flight until a proper hot meal, desserts were loaded.

I would have also demanded that we sit together and for all alcohol and BOB purchases to be comped. Your Girlfriend got a Basic Economy experience sitting in the middle seat. They could downgrade a Basic Economy Passenger down to the middle seat!

You left out demanding a Porsche ride to the gate. (Gonna assume your post was sarcasm?)
nwflyboy and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfreet
You left out demanding a Porsche ride to the gate. (Gonna assume your post was sarcasm?)
Unlikely. There's an ignore button.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Unlikely. There's an ignore button.
Yes it was sarcasm! Here is my serious answer! I was just trying to get the OP to come to his senses that delays at Customs are more frequent than we might expect and to allow for more time to connect. For instance if a flight arrives into JFK at 3:00 PM I would not fathom to book a flight till 6:00 or 7:00 PM if thts an option or opt to pay for a hotel and overnight it.

I love Global Entry and I know its not for everyone its helped me. Honestly if I were in the OP's shoes I would be speaking up and asking an agent to move me to a quicker line if my flight was delayed. If I knew that my flight was arriving late one would think Delta would automatically switch you to the next flight or at the very least I would be on the phone with Delta the moment we touched down to switch me to another flight in D1 even if its for the next day. I could ten just book a one night hotel stay and not be stressed to try and make my next flight.

When I came in from Iceland the Iceland Air flight was delayed and my Father and I would have missed the AlaskaFlight if it weren't for the helpful agent who whisked us through to our Alaka flight in one hour from the time we left our seats on our Iceland Air flight to the time we sat in our seats on our Alaska Flight our luggage made it. My point is I allowed enogh time but did not know that the flight would leave late from Keflavik. I spoke up to the agent and he called ahead to the gate and they knew we were coming off our delayed flight!

The Flight attendant on Alaska(glad we had the Alaska Comfort Seats) gave us a drink before we took off and made us feel at ease!

The OP may not know that at Customs there are agents(at least at the places where I have been through) that announce if you have a conneting flight leaving at such and such time to go to the "Quck Connectons"lane and some airports like in London Have Fast Trak. I am not sure why couldn't the OP have asked for a Premium Red Coat Services Agent to take him to his new flight using the carts they use for the disability passengers? I would have ordered any servive and tipped them well to make my new flight! They may have been able to hold the OP's flight if others are coming in off the international flight.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The OP may not know that at Customs there are agents(at least at the places where I have been through) that announce if you have a conneting flight leaving at such and such time to go to the "Quck Connectons"lane and some airports like in London Have Fast Trak.
I can tell you that this does not happen at MSP. There are too many connecting passengers; a large majority of the passengers would want the “Quick Connections” lane. There are certain times of day when three (or more, on occasion) wide-body international flights arrive at once. Pax can use Global Entry and Mobile Passports but otherwise there are no options for a faster process through passport control and customs. The only exceptions are the flight crew members, military personnel on orders, and unaccompanied minors.
danielonn likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I can tell you that this does not happen at MSP. There are too many connecting passengers; a large majority of the passengers would want the “Quick Connections” lane. There are certain times of day when three (or more, on occasion) wide-body international flights arrive at once. Pax can use Global Entry and Mobile Passports but otherwise there are no options for a faster process through passport control and customs. The only exceptions are the flight crew members, military personnel on orders, and unaccompanied minors.
So would having an inflated Minimum Connecting Time with extra padding be better insurance along with Automatic accommodation on the next available flight? For instance the Delta App could give options like if my flight is delayed I would like to keep the same Class of Service or be downgraded to Comfort+ with the remaining value credited to my Credit Card or miles?

I think it would be nice if the airline apps could have a feature that uses your GPS to track you like Uber does so that way they know you are in the Customs Hall or have an option to click "I 'm still stuck in Customs so that the airline knows how to get you through".

As I have low vision I do request the cart service/Meet and Assist and with Global Entry am through very quickly.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold

and again it all goes back to situational awareness. I have never flown through JFK from INTL, but having been in that airport for domestic connections, I just KNEW that I would need to book a lot of time for entering the country.

or with more common sense, JFK is the busiest airport in terms of international passengers. just think it through
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:54 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

JFK T4 has a "quick connect" priority line at immigration. I don't know how much faster it is though.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When inbound international flights are very late into DTW, I've been given (as a connecting passenger, maybe a premium cabin seat or status was also a factor) a piece of colored paper upon deplaning that sends me to a special and hopefully faster immigration queue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.