Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First-Time Domestic Flyer: How Do I Get an Upgrade on Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus

Hi there,

Obviously the upgrade business is something most (all?) of you are very proficient in, so please bear with me.

I am a somewhat frequent international flyer based in Paris. My current status is Flying Blue Silver, but will reach Gold this fall.

My boyfriend and I are flying BOS-LGA this September--we bought Main Cabin tickets, in the X fare bucket (he is a Flying Blue member but does not have status).

How do passengers get upgrades in the US? How do upgrade lists work? The Delta app currently says there are 9 First Class and 17 Comfort + seats available, but doesn't say how to "apply" for one. Are Flying Blue members even entitled to complimentary upgrades?

Again, apologies for what may be a "dumb" question to all of you, but it's my first time flying domestically in the US.

Thanks!

Wassim
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:15 am

I am not an expert on how you would get an upgrade with Flying Blue. All I can tell you is that it's a super short flight where the class of service almost doesn't matter and this is from someone who only flies in front. I don't make much use of my Delta status because I don't wait for upgrades. I just pay from the get go. LGA-BOS or vice versa is one of the only routes I would fly where I wouldn't bother paying for it because it's too short to care. I know that doesn't necessarily answer your question but just wanted to be sure you realized that you're in the air for around 35 minutes.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonkie23
I am not an expert on how you would get an upgrade with Flying Blue. All I can tell you is that it's a super short flight where the class of service almost doesn't matter and this is from someone who only flies in front. I don't make much use of my Delta status because I don't wait for upgrades. I just pay from the get go. LGA-BOS or vice versa is one of the only routes I would fly where I wouldn't bother paying for it because it's too short to care. I know that doesn't necessarily answer your question but just wanted to be sure you realized that you're in the air for around 35 minutes.
Thanks for replying! Yes I am aware of how short the flight is and that the difference in service will probably just be a bottle of water, if that.
Just wanted some more information about upgrades in general--I'm sure the information will come in handy at some point in the future, ideally for a longer flight!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

Things to Know about Upgrade Priority:
"Partner airline elite members will be eligible for day-of-departure upgrades only, with the exception of Aeromexico Club Premier members, whose upgrades can clear in advance or on the day-of-departure. "

You may already be aware of this, but there are no complimentary upgrades for DL or partner elites on long-haul international Delta One flights (only domestic/short haul First Class and domestic Delta One flights are complimentary upgrade eligible for elites).
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
If you bought your tickets from Delta (ie 060 ticket), then you should be able to select your upgrade preferences on the website or the Delta app (if upgrade eligible). You probably will get an offer to pay for the upgrade, which may be an attractive option
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:37 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
From what I could find on the Delta website, given that you will have Skyteam Elite Plus status, you will not receive complimentary upgrades, but you will get priority security, bag tags, boarding, etc. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

Things to Know about Upgrade Priority:
"Partner airline elite members will be eligible for day-of-departure upgrades only, with the exception of Aeromexico Club Premier members, whose upgrades can clear in advance or on the day-of-departure. "
As far as I can tell, partner airline elites are only eligible for companion upgrades--if they're traveling with a companion who is a Delta elite/Medallion.
Read the "How to upgrade with travel companions" section of that linked page, specifically:
*Partner airline elite members are only eligible for Companion Upgrades on paid tickets and Companion Certificates.

Normally a companion has to be a SkyMiles member, but it looks like they'll also let the companion be eligible if s/he is a partner elite member.

Of course I could be mis-interpreting this, but there's also nothing on the FlyingBlue website to suggest its elites are eligible for complimentary upgrades on Delta.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ijgordon
As far as I can tell, partner airline elites are only eligible for companion upgrades--if they're traveling with a companion who is a Delta elite/Medallion.
Read the "How to upgrade with travel companions" section of that linked page, specifically:
*Partner airline elite members are only eligible for Companion Upgrades on paid tickets and Companion Certificates.
My read is that that paragraph is a restriction on companion upgrades as a partner elite (i.e. award tickets are not eligible in that case), not a statement that partner elites are *only* eligible for upgrades as companions. The other language in the "Things to Know about Upgrade Priority" section (and quoted above in this thread) stands on its own.

​​​​​​In this case the distinction is moot because OP is traveling with a companion, but arguably worth clarifying for people coming across the thread later...
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
How do passengers get upgrades in the US? How do upgrade lists work? The Delta app currently says there are 9 First Class and 17 Comfort + seats available, but doesn't say how to "apply" for one. Are Flying Blue members even entitled to complimentary upgrades?
You are both in one ticket or in separate tickets?

If you are alone in one ticket, you will be able to be put in the automatic upgrade list, but the very bottom of the list. In some transborder flights, the upgrade chance is quite high.

If you have a companion on the ticket, you will not be able to get upgraded unless there is no other Delta medallion and the flight is overbooked (happened once on my flight LGA-YOW, where I was the only elite plus on the comfort+ cabin and they upgrade me and my colleague to First.

Originally Posted by jackvogt
From what I could find on the Delta website, given that you will have Skyteam Elite Plus status, you will not receive complimentary upgrades, but you will get priority security, bag tags, boarding, etc. Hope this helps.
Flying Blue members are eventually eligible for complimentary upgrades to both cabins but behind all Skymiles medallions, when only the member himself in the PNR.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
BOS-LGA is a Delta Shuttle flight, so you'll get enhanced service on the flight regardless of what seat you're in. Free alcoholic beverage and snack thats more than pretzels for everyone. There's also a separate checkin area in BOS along with free coffee and newspapers in the gate area. It's nothing too spectacular so even if you miss out on the upgrade, know that all you're really missing out on on a bigger seat in the front of a ERJ-175 or 717.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hi there,

Obviously the upgrade business is something most (all?) of you are very proficient in, so please bear with me.

I am a somewhat frequent international flyer based in Paris. My current status is Flying Blue Silver, but will reach Gold this fall.

My boyfriend and I are flying BOS-LGA this September--we bought Main Cabin tickets, in the X fare bucket (he is a Flying Blue member but does not have status).

Again, apologies for what may be a "dumb" question to all of you, but it's my first time flying domestically in the US.

Thanks!

Wassim
OP could follow the widely published advice on how to get free upgrades: Dress up, give the airline agent a bribe, suggest that you know all of DL's top executives, show the airport agent your blog, and say that it's your honeymoon, you're pregnant, your grandmother just died, and it's also your birthday. This is your best chance of getting an upgrade on a business oriented and elite-heavy route like BOS-LGA.

BTW, if the OP is currently Silver, but will reach Gold in the fall, doesn't this mean that at the time of the DL flight in September, OP will be Silver? DL doesn't base upgrades on the status you might earn in the months after your DL flight.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
You are both in one ticket or in separate tickets?

If you are alone in one ticket, you will be able to be put in the automatic upgrade list, but the very bottom of the list. In some transborder flights, the upgrade chance is quite high.

If you have a companion on the ticket, you will not be able to get upgraded unless there is no other Delta medallion and the flight is overbooked (happened once on my flight LGA-YOW, where I was the only elite plus on the comfort+ cabin and they upgrade me and my colleague to First.

Flying Blue members are eventually eligible for complimentary upgrades to both cabins but behind all Skymiles medallions, when only the member himself in the PNR.
We are both on the same ticket, which from my understanding afteryour message means the chances of being upgraded are close to zero.

Obviously I know that there is very little difference in service on such a short flight, so this post was more about familiarizing myself with the upgrade culture in the US.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP could follow the widely published advice on how to get free upgrades: Dress up, give the airline agent a bribe, suggest that you know all of DL's top executives, show the airport agent your blog, and say that it's your honeymoon, you're pregnant, your grandmother just died, and it's also your birthday. This is your best chance of getting an upgrade on a business oriented and elite-heavy route like BOS-LGA.

BTW, if the OP is currently Silver, but will reach Gold in the fall, doesn't this mean that at the time of the DL flight in September, OP will be Silver? DL doesn't base upgrades on the status you might earn in the months after your DL flight.

Haha! Yeah, I don't think I want an upgrade on a 40-minute flight *that* badly.

And yes you're correct, I will be Silver at the time of this flight--sorry if that wasn't clear in my original post.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saxman66
BOS-LGA is a Delta Shuttle flight, so you'll get enhanced service on the flight regardless of what seat you're in. Free alcoholic beverage and snack thats more than pretzels for everyone. There's also a separate checkin area in BOS along with free coffee and newspapers in the gate area. It's nothing too spectacular so even if you miss out on the upgrade, know that all you're really missing out on on a bigger seat in the front of a ERJ-175 or 717.
Thank you for the information! I wasn't aware of the separate check-in area... good to know!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Just a note for OP - upgrade culture has changed drastically in the past decade. Delta is nearing it's goal of having ~80% paid F (albeit often at absurdly low prices).
BearX220 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.