Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

HELP! Booking Honeymoon with Miles or Waitlist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! Booking Honeymoon with Miles or Waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by langbr01
..Speak to DL regarding GUC upgrade availability to Asia gateways (PEK, PVG, ICN etc) from Detroit. Then you can either book a flight (miles or revenue) that connects to your final destination in Asia. You should be able to pick up tickets inexpensively in economy....
As above get as close to BKK DSP as you can and separate tickets. SIN TPE HKG ?
ICN is a reasonable distance from DSP BKK, it wanting to pay separately.

Great Circle Mapper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Mu...tional_Airport

As post above, how long in the future will make a difference to availability.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:37 pm

Hello I am candicemarie912 fiancé. She couldn’t post anymore today.

She didnt pick global certificates as her diamond choice. We know now for next year!

We leaving on November 8th (DTW-BKK) and returning on November 25th (DPS-DTW). Our dates are pretty much set in stone although we might be open to leaving on the 7th. We are going to Chiang Mai for the lantern festival on the 11th.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Candicemarie912
Unless anyone can help me feel better that there is a good chance I’ll get upgraded if I buy a economy ticket.
I don’t think anyone has addressed this, but there is very little chance that you will get upgraded if you buy an economy ticket, assuming you are referring to a complimentary upgrade. There are no complimentary upgrades on international flights (except some North American/South American destinations, which don’t apply here). The only situation when that could occur is an OP-UP, when economy is overbooked.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pnjankow
We leaving on November 8th (DTW-BKK) and returning on November 25th (DPS-DTW). Our dates are pretty much set in stone although we might be open to leaving on the 7th. We are going to Chiang Mai for the lantern festival on the 11th.
Those dates make it harder for awards (close in)
Have you considered the time zone/date line changes in your planning? And the overall travel(flying) duration?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:21 pm

I think what we are trying to figure out is should we bite the bullet and pay the absurd amount of miles to guarantee D1? Or book an economy ticket with the hope they will have upgrade availability and use miles to get D1. Because she is Diamond and we have a Delta Amex, are the chances worth it? Right now there are barely any taken seats in D1. What’s the likelihood that if there are still a bunch open, that they will open the window for mile upgrades.

DL doesn’t seem to be any help when we call. Every agent says a different thing. Some say to keep checking if it’s possible up to upgrade with miles (right now there are no class fares that allow that). Another agent said those class fares probably will not open up so we won’t be able to upgrade using miles.

It seems like doing round trips from DTW-ICN or PVG/PEK would be the same amount of miles/cash than if we just book DTW-BKK and DPS-DTW. From the US to any Asia city, we are looking at around 350K in miles one way.

This is such a long flight and due to health issues do not want to end up in an economy or even premium economy seating if we can find a way to spend a reasonable amount of miles. I think we are okay with spending around 500K in miles and $5000 but double seems crazy.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Hello I am candicemarie912 fiancé. She couldn’t post anymore today.

She didnt pick global certificates as her diamond choice. We know now for next year!

Either of you, private message me for additional details about this, but this would be the ideal case for an award booking service, of which there are many discussed in other forums here, or searchable online.

The secret to not overpaying in Delta miles is to use partners. US-Thailand is 85,000 miles each way, per person, in business class. I can find availability for you now, but it leaves November 6 from LAX instead of DTW. This is with five minutes of quickly searching. The route would be something like, LAX-PVG-ICN-HAN/SGN-BKK. China Eastern for the LAX-PVG, then your choice of China Eastern or Korean from PVG-ICN, then Vietnam Air ICN-HAN/SGN-BKK.

I find it a lot of fun to fly other SkyTeam partners. If someone teaches you what/how to search, or you hire a service to do it (its like $200 per person max, good investment to not overpay by 6 figures in miles) you should be able to get tickets for 170K roundtrip per person in business, but it won't be "Delta One" it'll be business class on Delta's partners.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:31 pm

I think we are okay with spending around 500K in miles and $5000 but double seems crazy.
You can spend one or the other. Honestly, there are cheap DeltaOne fares and SkyTeam partner sales from Canada that come up, from other cities that come up, for less than $5K or about that for two tickets.

Or like I said, a lot less in miles with no co pay. Please, don't overpay!
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mattya9
You are correct. You actually have up to 72 hours to stay in China as long as you have proof of your connecting/ongoing flight.

You might also look into China Eastern business class tickets. It's usually not hard to find $2500/person round trip tickets from the US to SE Asia destinations. Not sure how concrete your plans are in terms of arriving in BKK and leaving from DPS though. Plus you would earn a ton of RDMs, MQMs, and MQDs to help get you qualified for DM next year.

OPS
WRONG: The China TWOV rules are far more complex that this, although for certain itineraries you can now stay for 144 hours at most places.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:37 pm

Let me amend my previous posting to say that, from ICN-BKK, routings on AirChina via Taipei also come up.

There are flights from Vancouver, Canada, to Bangkok, with 1 stop. There is a 12:30 am departure on Saturday November 9, where there are two seats left for 85,000 miles each in business class.

I would book these online, then call in and ask them to add the Delta domestic DTW-XXX-YVR flights in front of it. You will have to look for flights DTW-XXX-YVR with availability in OZ class, and then it will price as a through flight for 85,000 miles.

This should be perfect for you all. Or, worse case if they can't add it to the same ticket, buy DTW-XXX-YVR for the ~11,000 miles in economy and get the Diamond upgrades. But, you get up to 4 segments one way, and DTW-XXX-YVR-PVG-BKK is exactly that .

Last edited by btonkid12345; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:07 pm

Option 1: 12:30 AM departure from YVR on Saturday September 9. There are only 2 seats left on this outbound, and 2 seats left on the return, which is perfect for you - DPS to DTW on Nov 25!
mayhem likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:09 pm

Option 2: 12:20 PM departure from YVR on Saturday September 9. There are only 2 seats left on this outbound, and 2 seats left on the return, which is perfect for you - DPS to DTW on Nov 25! Grab one of these now before the seats disappear!

Then, find DTW-XXX-YVR in OZ to add to the front of it, call, ask for International Reissues, and feed them those flight numbers. Should be an even exchange or a small add/collect of taxes/fees (probably a $5.60 AY charge).

[I personally would do DTW-SEA-YVR, DL2682 to DL5706, on Friday the 8th. Arrives at 11:55 p.m. Then, do a ~12 hour layover to the noon departure out of YVR. These two flights have OZ available in First Class inventory.
rabingham89 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
I would advise you to read some reviews of China Eastern before you confirm an itinerary. They often have a good long hall J hard product but soft product can be lacking. There are some limitations which may include a language barrier, food quality/options, limited IFE, cigarette smoke smell etc.

You also should prioritize how important it is to earn MQM's on the trip. If your looking for the absolute cheapest way to get their in a bed.. MU is a great option (award or revenue).
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by langbr01
I would advise you to read some reviews of China Eastern before you confirm an itinerary. They often have a good long hall J hard product but soft product can be lacking. There are some limitations which may include a language barrier, food quality/options, limited IFE, cigarette smoke smell etc.

You also should prioritize how important it is to earn MQM's on the trip. If your looking for the absolute cheapest way to get their in a bed.. MU is a great option (award or revenue).
Completely agree. I want to stress that November is a ways out, so Delta would reaccommodate on their own metal if any changes occur between now and then, which could change the amount of China Eastern flying. Or, Vietnam Airlines flies CDG-HAN on their new A350, so OP would just have to find US-CDG partner space and then put it together that way [maybe Virgin, from one of their US destinations to LHR, LHR-CDG, CDG-HAN, HAN-BKK.

I believe OP is either Platinum or Diamond, so if there is no redeposit fee, GRAB THE SPACE NOW and read later. You can always redeposit for no fee if you are Platinum or Diamond.
langbr01 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Completely agree. I want to stress that November is a ways out, so Delta would reaccommodate on their own metal if any changes occur between now and then, which could change the amount of China Eastern flying. Or, Vietnam Airlines flies CDG-HAN on their new A350, so OP would just have to find US-CDG partner space and then put it together that way [maybe Virgin, from one of their US destinations to LHR, LHR-CDG, CDG-HAN, HAN-BKK.

I believe OP is either Platinum or Diamond, so if there is no redeposit fee, GRAB THE SPACE NOW and read later. You can always redeposit for no fee if you are Platinum or Diamond.
However, if you try to route USA to Asia through Europe, DL will charge it as two separate award tickets. It's not a legal routing even though it can make sense. IME even in IROPs DL won't route through Europe using a combination of DL TATL connecting to AF/KLM in order to avoid a full day delay in getting to Asia, even at the airport on the day of departure when the problem in caused by a MX on a DL operated flight. YMMV.

I very much agree with the advice to grab space now and possibly change later (assuming that the miles are coming from a DM/PM account) if you find something better. However, I'm skeptical about whether agents can costlessly add segments to award tickets without rebooking the entire direction based on current married segment availability.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, I'm skeptical about whether agents can costlessly add segments to award tickets without rebooking the entire direction based on current married segment availability.
The system isn't marrying the partner flights. And the reissue desk or even a Supervisor can manually add legs.

I never guaranteed it would be costless. I said, if the connecting flights are available in OZ class on Delta, and it doesn't make it more than 4 segments in a one way direction of travel, it should price as a through award. Worst case, they can buy DTW-YVR separately and do well using complimentary upgrades with one of the two being DM [and still stay well under spending 500K SkyMiles with almost no cash outlay]

I recently wanted MSP-SEA-LHR-BEY. SEA-LHR-BEY was pricing as 85K miles, but the DM Desk agent got a Global Ticketing Support Agent who insisted on pricing MSP-SEA as a separate fare on the same ticket. So at first, he came back and said it was 130K miles. I gently pushed back, and the DM Desk agent said he pushed the "price" button again, and it priced as a through fare for him at 85K miles. LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.