Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-LAS or JFK-LAX-LAS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
JFK-LAS or JFK-LAX-LAS

Am I crazy to want to book the connection in order to max out my flatbed chances as a PM (probably using a RUC) if the times are similar? My wife thinks so. FT please give me a sanity check...I don't get to use D1 product much (really, ever) as most of my travel is east coast.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Are you crazy? Not at all. I would probably consider doing the same as long as the RUC was confirmed in advance and your personal schedule allowed for the additional flight and connection time.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I also would only do this if you can confirm the RUC in advance. If you're hoping to clear off the waitlist it might happen, but there's a much better chance you'll be sitting in Y with an extra 2 or 3 hours of travel time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by royevans75
Am I crazy to want to book the connection in order to max out my flatbed chances as a PM (probably using a RUC) if the times are similar? My wife thinks so. FT please give me a sanity check...I don't get to use D1 product much (really, ever) as most of my travel is east coast.
First, I certainly don’t think you are “crazy.” However, personally I wouldn’t do it unless it was the red eye on the way home. Flight time is maybe 30 mins longer, plus an hour connection plus and hour back to las. For me, not worth losing at least 2.5 hrs each way in Vegas. You are basically adding 50% (or more if something goes wrong) to the travel time. Can you just take the jfk-las flight with flatbeds?
btonkid12345 likes this.

Last edited by El Boocho; Aug 20, 2019 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Boocho

First, I certainly don’t think you are “crazy.” However, personally I wouldn’t do it unless it was the red eye on the way home. Flight time is maybe 30 mins longer, plus an hour connection plus and hour back to las. For me, not worth losing at least 2.5 hrs each way in Vegas. Plus you are adding 50% (or more if something goes wrong) to the travel time. Can you just take the jfk-las flight with flatbeds?
In theory, I COULD take the JFK-LAS with flatbeds - the timing actually works. I just feel that given the fact that there's one a day, and that it's on a 757, my odds of clearing (even at gate) are super slim
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
I also would only do this if you can confirm the RUC in advance. If you're hoping to clear off the waitlist it might happen, but there's a much better chance you'll be sitting in Y with an extra 2 or 3 hours of travel time.
My flights would be Sun AM - Tues AM, so I'm hopeful upgrade chances are solid...its a major conference in vegas which is why I feel chances of that route clearing are slim.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Not crazy, but others have mentioned maybe do the LAS LAX JFK route on the way back, take a red eye and go for D1 there?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
No one on FT thinks you’re crazy. I’d do it for the MQMs alone! (But only if I could clear the upgrade in advance.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Not crazy at all!

I did JFK-PHX-LAS on AA side to get some more BA TPs. If you think your reasoning is valid, it's not crazy imo.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by royevans75
Maybe it’s your wife who is crazy. The FT and AvGeek motto is “why fly direct when you can connect?”

As others have mentioned, I’d do it if you could clear the RUC in advance. But if you’re having to waitlist, I wouldn’t, personally (if that was my only motivation). If the extra MQMs are also a motivating factor I would consider this routing for the extra MQMs. (I’m also really lucky that my wife not only lets me play these games with the routing and other factors but being a PM herself is willing to play them too to boost or maintain status ).

Petdog likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:14 pm

Not crazy, just a matter of personal preference and weighing costs and benefits.

As a general matter, I much prefer a direct flight and shorter travel time. And at my most frequented work travel location I typically stay at a boutique inn I like instead of earning points/stays at a Hilton or Marriott chain. I don't think I'm crazy.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Be aware of the plane you are on. Most of the D1 capacity on these routes is on the 767. While it is good to have when I fly JFK to LAX or SFO I wouldn't necessarily seek out that product. It is a dated and cramped version of a lie flat seat
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Be aware of the plane you are on. Most of the D1 capacity on these routes is on the 767. While it is good to have when I fly JFK to LAX or SFO I wouldn't necessarily seek out that product. It is a dated and cramped version of a lie flat seat
Thanks - was aware but figured it sure beat C+!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
.....but it does have 100% direct aisle access, which D1 on the 757 doesn't.

Call DL and ask which flights will clear into D1 using the RUC now. Then make your decision. Buy your ticket by phone and have the agent confirm your upgrade at the same time.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....but it does have 100% direct aisle access, which D1 on the 757 doesn't.

Call DL and ask which flights will clear into D1 using the RUC now. Then make your decision. Buy your ticket by phone and have the agent confirm your upgrade at the same time.
Good advice - thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.