Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hours on a remote stand at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by strickerj

With all due respect, none of this really makes sense to me - are not all employees representatives of the airline? Why should the onus be on the customer to know which ones are reliable and which aren’t? In this case, the customers acted upon the information provided to them by a representative of the company. To suggest they’re at fault for doing so is ludicrous, IMHO.
The housekeeper in a hotel also performs check-in and check-out. The cook in a nice restaurant is also your server. The guy running Space Mountain also dresses up as Darth Vader.

Oh, please. The notion that all employees perform all company roles and even semi-functioning humans cannot differentiate is asinine.
ijgordon and HDQDD like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by ekozie
The housekeeper in a hotel also performs check-in and check-out. The cook in a nice restaurant is also your server. The guy running Space Mountain also dresses up as Darth Vader.

Oh, please. The notion that all employees perform all company roles and even semi-functioning humans cannot differentiate is asinine.
Those aren’t anywhere near analogous. Most passengers would think the advice the FA offers in an IRROP situation would be reliable.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Ah, back at it again. This time the delay was 22 hours. Passengers said it was hell. But it didn't cancel, so everything is cool... 🙄

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartandhp
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Ah, back at it again. This time the delay was 22 hours. Passengers said it was hell. But it didn't cancel, so everything is cool... 🙄

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartandhp
I’m sure that one was especially frustrating because the rolling delay meant passengers couldn’t get a hotel room (even at their own expense) without risking the flight leaving without them. Call it “you leave, you lose”.

Also, MSN censored the word “hell”?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
In fact near the end of the month, if we had any poor performing flight that was about to be on the DOT list of worst performing flights in a month* anything and everything would be done to make sure said flight was on-time for the rest of the month. Including, but not limited to, staging crews and aircraft just to operate a flight, trading away other GDP slots to prioritize its arrival (almost all of these were into airports like EWR that are operationally terrible even on a good day).

*Note: It looks like this metric may have been changed since my day, now I think it's flights that are late >50% of the time.
Hmm, I thought they just changed the flight number and maybe moved the schedule by a few minutes.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, I thought they just changed the flight number and maybe moved the schedule by a few minutes.
Nah, that’s what they do for the next month. . I think there are limits on how close in you can issue a schedule change without impacting completion rate.

The vast majority of the flights that end up on that list are regional carriers who often get the short end of the stick with substitutions during GDPs.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
The only time (and I emphasize, only time) I've gotten "jammed" on DL was during the meltdown last month where New York was on lockdown due to storms. Even then, there was "wiggle room" in terms of "If I had been willing to route via MSP".

Probably the bigger issue with major delays, TBH, is that computer systems do an awful job of dealing with space that opens up during a mass delay (e.g. confirming pax onto already-late flights after scheduled departure time). If there was room to slide pax forward in the mix that might go quite a distance towards dealing with messy situations. I've seen this sort of thing turn into a mess on DL and B6 on separate occasions* and it can be deeply absurd on Amtrak**

*B6 out of JFK a few years ago with a two-hour delay and pax trying to shuffle between flights to SFO; and DL in YUL two months ago and in ORF some time before that during a computer meltdown that was forcing manual processing.

**For example, when trains are running around 24 hours late due to weather out west (if there's space on the previous day's train, allowing pax to swap would sure be nice, particularly if it would turn around and save their connection), but also when the Silvers are totally borked coming into Richmond. I can assure you there are times when I'd switch to space on those trains if they would let me, but the **** computers won't allow it.

Edit: NGL, given the choice between a 6+ hour "rolling delay" and either a "hard delay" (e.g. the flight gets pushed back X hours) or a cancellation, I'd often take the latter. That said, this summer seems to be particularly bad due to the 737 MAX fiasco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.