Wiki Posts
Search

Rochester, MN airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Rochester, MN airport

I have to pick someone up there and I am wondering if they have a cell phone lot? Also I will be coming from the east on I-90. Is it easier to take the exit off of the interstate or go into town on Hwy 62? Might have the wrong hwy number but the one that goes into Rochester?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Probably quicker to take 90 to 52 to 63, but just plug into your GPS.

The first 30 min of parking is free, there are also businesses, hotels, and a restaurant close you could hang out at if it's longer.

https://flyrst.com/transportation/curbside-pick-up-and-drop-off/
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: NW GE
90 to 52 to 63 will be about the same as 90 to 63 (within a minute or two).

No cell lot but there is so little traffic at RST that you can likely park at the curb (staying in your car) indefinitely. If someone does tell you to move you can just pull forward and then stay to the right and stop on the side of the road heading towards the FedEx terminal. Or even just wait in the rental car return lot which is never full. The airport loop is one way so you’ll have to circle around when your friend arrives.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a small but modern airport. I don't think there would be a need for a cell phone lot.

I can't imagine how or why going through downtown would be a good idea.

BTW, there's some road construction around Rochester and IIRC some of the major exits from I-90 are closed and posted with detours. Google the mn511 traffic conditions website for real time information. If you're coming from Wisconsin, IIRC there's also a one lane stretch of I-90 near the border/river, on the MN side. Depending on where you're starting and the time you're driving, it might make sense to plan some detour to avoid at least some of the mess.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can't imagine how or why going through downtown would be a good idea.
Neither route would take you through downtown (I know OP said hwy 62(sic) to town, but I think he means the rochester exit). 90 is south of RST which is south of nearly all of the city of Rochester.

To elaborate on above, the Hwy 63 exit is the exit after Hwy 52 on I-90 Westbound, BUT if you take 52 exit then you'll have to get on Hwy 63 and go a bit south (stoplight at the exit) to then get to the airport. Were it me I'd just go I-90->Hwy63.

This is probably the most discussion that RST will ever get on this forum.
yohanson and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
The parking there is dirt cheap and, I believe someone pointed out that the first 30 minutes are free. I think the weekly parking fee is under $50 if that tells you anything about parking costs there.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Audie
Is it easier to take the exit off of the interstate or go into town on Hwy 62? Might have the wrong hwy number but the one that goes into Rochester?
Other people have given you the correct directions, but just wanted to say Hwy 62 is the crosstown in the cities, so a bit of distance from RST Will get you close to MSP though.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
US 53 is the highway from the Twin Cities southeast to Rochester, while US 63 goes north-south near Rochester. The airport is slightly west of US 63, fairly far south of the city of Rochester given that it's a small city and a small airport.

The expressway near MSP airport is MN 62, a STATE highway. It connects at its eastern end to MN 55, which (going southeast, as in the other direction it goes to Minneapolis) takes you to US 53.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Ok I live 3 miles from RST. Here is what you do. Take Exit 209 off I90 north toward Rochester. This is Hwy 63 north. The very next Exit off Hwy 63 is the RST Exit....go around the roundabout and over the freeway bridge about a mile (west) then left turn into RST. If you need a place to park over the 1/2 hour free parking, go to the Lyft/Uber lot at the north end of the main lot and sit there... no charge. Easy, beats MSP 10 x over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.