Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Unable to check you in" (see Delta agent)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Unable to check you in" (see Delta agent)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Do I just live in a parallel world? Guys. This is 100% normal at most airports Delta services. You can longer do mobile / online checkin at most international Delta outstations. At large hubs they do questions at the gate, but at most smaller ones they do it at check-in now.

OP is probably fine, unless EDI is one of the airports that Delta does questions at the gate rather than checkin. If it is, then we can suspect that it is SSSS - but treating that as the default assumption is ridiculous given how DL is dealing with the new rules.
This. I get it a lot. No SSSS. US passport. Sometime just doc check for valid visa, for example. Just arrive at the airport a little earlier and get it sorted out, whatever the reason behind the message.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Uh oh... did I finally get flagged as the dreaded quadruple ssss?
Redundant or did you mean ssss ssss ssss ssss?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Do I just live in a parallel world?
Was this a rhetorical question?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen the "cannot due to government regulations" exSIN where everyone must answer questions before getting a boarding pass on flights to the USA.

In some airports you can print the boarding pass even though there are security questions, such as CDG and IIRC HND. Also IIRC the same was true at NRT when the security questions were answered on DL kiosks rather than with a security or airline agent.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BenA
It’s likely a SSSS (no special documentation or action needed on your part, just a little extra patience for extra security screening).

Could also be a global upgrade that’s cleared but not properly reissued; if you were waitlisted for an upgrade of some kind, it’s worth calling to see if the ticket needs to be reissued.

But those two are pretty much the extent of the reasons for this error, and SSSS is the most likely. Don’t panic - it’s annoying, but routine.
While SSSS flagging is a leading cause of this kind of situation, it and cleared upgrades are not the only two reasons that inhibited check-in happens. Of my inhibited international check-ins for US-bound flights using my usual US passports in the last 19 months, most or all have had nothing to do with SSSS flagging and nothing to do with upgrades. In some cases, it was due to me getting PreCheck, and in other cases it was something other than any of the previously-mentioned types of situations.

Most of my US-bound DL flights from the Schengen area work just fine for me getting mobile phone or other OLCI boarding passes before I get to the airport. And then I do the USG-mandated Potemkin Village “security” charade interview at the DL boarding gates since I am usually skipping the check-in/transit counters where DL’s security contractors are doing the interviews for many/most DL passengers flying to the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 25, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I remember getting this once ex-MNL, and it was because at the time, MNL was one of the few DL stations that did not issue boarding passes after online check-in. You'd have to check in at the airport, and then afterward you'd get your boarding pass.

Not sure if this is still the case today but I wonder if there are still any DL stations that require all passengers to check in physically.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by indufan
Redundant or did you mean ssss ssss ssss ssss?
Guilty as charged, of redundancy.

GC
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Akiestar
I remember getting this once ex-MNL, and it was because at the time, MNL was one of the few DL stations that did not issue boarding passes after online check-in. You'd have to check in at the airport, and then afterward you'd get your boarding pass.

Not sure if this is still the case today but I wonder if there are still any DL stations that require all passengers to check in physically.
SIN had been permitting one to go almost to the end of OLCI and then be unable to get a boarding pass until the airport.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
I had this in Madrid as a US Citizen and Global Entry participant. They just had to ask me a few questions since I was traveling alone. I wouldn't worry too much and I doubt it's SSSS
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have had my passport verified by Delta multiple times, and yet I still can't check in online for international flights because they have to see it. Again and again and again. I don't know what I did to anger the travel gods, but I've just learned that this is normal for me when I fly international. It always happens to my other half, too, so we're used to it by now.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I have had my passport verified by Delta multiple times, and yet I still can't check in online for international flights because they have to see it. Again and again and again. I don't know what I did to anger the travel gods, but I've just learned that this is normal for me when I fly international. It always happens to my other half, too, so we're used to it by now.
I've been told that an agent cannot verify the passport for your profile--it must be done at an airport kiosk. This step has failed for me multiple times, although I always try again if I have time at the airport. Before the outbound portion of my most recent international trip, the kiosk apparently accepted my passport scan (finally), but we will see what happens on my next trip.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
I did get the SSSS in Singapore in June 2019

But an SSSS on a Delta boarding pass in Singapore was not bad. The security people were very nice (unlike TSA in Detroit who seemed to be mean to everyone). They only had me remove electronics from my carryons and used an explosives sniffer on my hands and legs.
A few weeks later, we flew on Delta again domestically and I had TSA PreChk back on my boarding pass.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been told that an agent cannot verify the passport for your profile--it must be done at an airport kiosk. This step has failed for me multiple times, although I always try again if I have time at the airport. Before the outbound portion of my most recent international trip, the kiosk apparently accepted my passport scan (finally), but we will see what happens on my next trip.
Ever since I renewed my passport a couple of years ago, I cannot “verify” it for my profile. I’ve tried many times, but while the passport is readily accepted in GE kiosks, Delta’s kiosks refuse.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
As others are noting, this can be much more routine than the extra security issues being described above. I have received it for two recent trips to Mexico and one to Canada, coming and going. My passport renewed earlier this year and I have not been able to tease in the spelling and parsing of my name back into the app. So when a passport is needed to travel, it is always flagged to be checked at the ticket counter and I get a paper BP. Pre-Check comes through when applicable, as do Clear and Global Entry when applicable.

My own strategy now is not to screw around with name changes, in fear of triggering "ssss" or similar extra steps (which I suffered through for two years in the mid-2000's, until I got a TSA Redress Number to finally click in). Now, I will happily take a trip to the ticket counter for a smooth experience elsewhere in the process.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good to know! LMK what happens next, please? Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.