Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Potential change in operating carrier. Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential change in operating carrier. Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
SQ all the way. Wouldn't even take the time to look at Delta when flying to SIN. Take your money and run to SQ if you get the chance-Enjoy.
moondog, apodo77 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
After doing more extensive research tonight I am inclined to push for a full refund and rebook with Singapore Airways. Finding a much better schedule ANC-SEA-SIN-SEA-ANC. Nonstop out of SEA, all booked via SQ. I would sacrifice earning DL miles, but it might be the simplest solution. Very similar fare as to our original tickets. Have never flown SQ, so it could be a fun excuse to give them a try.
I recently flew the EWR-SIN SQ n/s instead of the three-segment itinerary DL was offering me (something like LGA-DTW-NRT-SIN) and I would absolutely do that again vs the DL itinerary, based solely on scheduling convenience. (While I enjoyed the flight, I think SQ is somewhat overrated by FT, but that's a topic for another thread.)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bennos
I recently flew the EWR-SIN SQ n/s instead of the three-segment itinerary DL was offering me (something like LGA-DTW-NRT-SIN) and I would absolutely do that again vs the DL itinerary, based solely on scheduling convenience. (While I enjoyed the flight, I think SQ is somewhat overrated by FT, but that's a topic for another thread.)
I tend to agree. SQ (and I extend this to CX as well) are fine airlines and I enjoy them by and large, but I don’t think they are appreciably better than Delta in business class. International first is nice and all, but most of us aren’t flying it unless on points redemptions, and the gap is much, much smaller in the J cabin. I’ve had mediocre to poor service on both SQ and CX, so the oft cited crew difference doesn’t even really feel like a differentiation to me.

People often say F is a cabin that exists to convey a halo effect on the rest of the product, and I think nowhere is that more true than EK, SQ and CX.
bennos and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd put AF and LH/LX on the list too.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
It’s reassuring to hear SQ is a fine/acceptable choice. I have read about it being somewhat overrated too and while I was certainly looking forward to my first D1 experience, if this schedule change does in fact occur I’m fairly certain we will go the SQ route solely for convenience and timing alone. I did discuss the long connection (11 hrs) in ICN then onto MSP and ANC with my husband so I could maximize MQMs, but he wouldn’t hear of it.

I’ll admit it is a bit scary booking a pricey ticket on a carrier where one has no prior experience and no status.

Still no official change to my itinerary. I’ll update once/if it does occur. Possibly in this next round of Saturday schedule changes.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SQ treats everyone very well in the air and not so well after the flight, for example if there are baggage problems or if one wants a shower in an arrivals lounge, although those with top tier SQ status (revenue based) are treated even better in the air (and on the ground *before* the flight).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:57 pm

[left][QUOTE=flyerCO;31307665]
Originally Posted by Culvetr

DL will rebook you via ICN/PVG. As you've already cleared into J, they'll keep you in J for those segments. I'd then ask to go from ICN/PVG to DTW/ATL in that case.

just got the call from delta. “Narita is discontinued, they rebooked us direct to Seoul from JFK and Back in business w Korean but changed times”

should we we be able to get any available flights instead of the ones delta selected? We have SQ connections that do not work with the new flights
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=Culvetr;31314645]
Originally Posted by flyerCO

just got the call from delta. “Narita is discontinued, they rebooked us direct to Seoul from JFK and Back in business w Korean but changed times”

should we we be able to get any available flights instead of the ones delta selected? We have SQ connections that do not work with the new flights
Call and they'll rebook you via ICN/PVG at preferred time. BTW who said it was discontinued? It still is loaded in schedule. Did they maybe say it wasnt flying that day instead? DL has been good about announcing when they pull out of a market.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:44 pm

My wife (DM) actually got the call. “Discontinued” was the word she used but she could’ve been paraphrasing.

I definitely don’t want to stay on the a380. I would be open to the 777 or 787 w/ apex suites. Any opinions on how they compare to the Delta one suites?

While looking at options I see an AF connection thru CDG. This only shows up as a one way and doesn’t appear when I look at RT. Do you think delta would put us on? One has a 13 1/2 hour stop in Paris that we would enjoy.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Let us know how it goes and what options you take. Still waiting on an official change from DL for our itinerary on Sep 18. Sounds like they are starting to notify people. Hopefully we should get a notification in the next day or so before the SQ price goes up.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

OP here again: Decided to take a chance and call DL this evening based on the post by Culvetr and his flight notification by DL about the discontinuation.

The agent at the GM desk was helpful and took the time to research the SIN-NRT segment. He said that my PNR looks like all is fine, but something “strange” was happening with the availability. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes as he called Revenue Management. They told him there was a pending equipment change for the 18/19 and should be finalized within 24 hours. He seemed somewhat skeptical about that and told me to keep a close eye on it over the next few days to see what happens.

So back to the waiting game. I can still see the seat map in the app on my reservation and looks like the D1 cabin, which a few days back showed 12 seats occupied (including mine) now shows only 8 occupied. Makes me wonder if they are calling the DMs/PMs first before notifying the GMs or making the change official.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Culvetr
My wife (DM) actually got the call. “Discontinued” was the word she used but she could’ve been paraphrasing.

I definitely don’t want to stay on the a380. I would be open to the 777 or 787 w/ apex suites. Any opinions on how they compare to the Delta one suites?

While looking at options I see an AF connection thru CDG. This only shows up as a one way and doesn’t appear when I look at RT. Do you think delta would put us on? One has a 13 1/2 hour stop in Paris that we would enjoy.
In several attempts, I've been unable to get DL to rebook me through Europe to Asia during IROPs, both (on the day of travel) on the DM line and in an airport SC. It seems that this is not just an illegal routing to do with a single fare component (paid with money or miles) but even as a way to avoid 24+ hour arrival delays.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In several attempts, I've been unable to get DL to rebook me through Europe to Asia during IROPs, both (on the day of travel) on the DM line and in an airport SC. It seems that this is not just an illegal routing to do with a single fare component (paid with money or miles) but even as a way to avoid 24+ hour arrival delays.
I've had it twice. Once to BKK, once to SIN. They did it only cause there was no close partner seats westbound same day. Both times also were ex-YYZ. The ticketing was the issue. Apparently the system sees this as a RTW ticket and tries to prohibit it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
OP here again: Decided to take a chance and call DL this evening based on the post by Culvetr and his flight notification by DL about the discontinuation.

The agent at the GM desk was helpful and took the time to research the SIN-NRT segment. He said that my PNR looks like all is fine, but something “strange” was happening with the availability. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes as he called Revenue Management. They told him there was a pending equipment change for the 18/19 and should be finalized within 24 hours. He seemed somewhat skeptical about that and told me to keep a close eye on it over the next few days to see what happens.

So back to the waiting game. I can still see the seat map in the app on my reservation and looks like the D1 cabin, which a few days back showed 12 seats occupied (including mine) now shows only 8 occupied. Makes me wonder if they are calling the DMs/PMs first before notifying the GMs or making the change official.
It may be that a refurbished 767 may operate those dates or an A339 due to rotation
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Update: Woke up this morning to a voicemail from DL saying that the SIN-NRT segment is indeed not operating on Sep 18. We were rebooked thru PVG leaving at 12:55 AM, 5 hr 25 min connection in PVG then onto SEA on the A339-neo (which is what we were originally booked on before they pushed them back). From SEA onto ANC. This was an itinerary I was not seeing online, but furthermore I do see it as an option when searching for awards (this was a paid ticket though, so never thought to check the award box for alternative routings).

I convinced my husband to accept this routing rather than rebooking with SQ so I can indeed experience the D1 suites and earn MQMs to push me to PM status.

I was rebooked into 2J on the MU segment as I was originally in D1. My husband who was in C+ was rebooked into Economy (X) on MU. So far I have not had any luck in getting his seat assignment to stick on the DL website. I obtained the PNR from DL and tried to access his reservation on the MU website, but it just never will finish loading. He might have to just wait until the airport to get a seat unless anyone here knows a workaround. Luckily my business class seat confirmed and to be honest he doesn't really get worked up over seats like I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.