Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Potential change in operating carrier. Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential change in operating carrier. Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Thanks for the thorough info! VERY helpful!

I think we will just stay in the airport in PVG. 5 hr 25 min is too close for my comfort to leave the airport, especially being unfamiliar.

I am a bit confused on the transit requirements at PVG. Is there anything special we need to do to prove we are eligible for the transit? I do not want to be denied boarding in SIN. Since we are simply transiting PVG and connecting to DL onward to SEA and ANC, my reading is that we are eligible as our transit is less than 24 hours and we will not be leaving the airport boundary.
You'd have enough time for a Maglev ride and small stroll but I wouldn't try to do much in Shanghai if you have about five and a half hours. [OTOH I don't think you want to spend that long in the airport if you have a choice.] It takes some time to get out of the airport. Also, don't expect much from the MU lounge, although I think I saw showers. However, there have been recent reports of people not being allowed to leave the airport for stays under about 8 hours using TWOV = transit WITHOUT visa (note that it's not the same as a transit visa, which seems to cost as much as a regular visa) unless there's a (short) overnight hotel reservation. Check the big sticky TWOV thread in the China destination forum here on FT for details about recent experiences at PVG.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It takes some time to get out of the airport.
Rarely more than 15 minutes IME, and 6a is about as fast as it gets.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by bennos
Previously, the CoC had very clear language specifying that you are entitled to a refund if an operating carrier changed, you are downgraded, or there is a 90 minute+ change in schedule. That language appears to have all been rewritten. The 90 minute+ refund eligibility is still there in Rule 20. Refund for downgrade is sort of implied by Rule 20, but refund for operating carrier is at best ambiguous.

Rule 2 now says "Delta may substitute alternate Carriers or aircraft, change its schedules, delay or cancel flights, change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket as required by its operations in Delta’s sole discretion. Delta’s sole liability in the event of such changes is set forth in Rule 22." Rule 22 discusses refunds, but doesn't obligate them in this context. It'd probably take a lawyer to figure out if you are now entitled to a refund for operating carrier change, but if you are, then you are now also entitled to a refund if your seat assignments are changed...
I had a change in operating carrier for an upcoming flight in October and was refused a refund.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
I had a change in operating carrier for an upcoming flight in October and was refused a refund.
HUCA
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If I had 5+ hours in PVG I'd definitely take the Maglev... even though I've taken it before. There's almost nothing else like it in the world.

If you end up needing to clear immigration anyway, it's a no-brainer.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnbp
HUCA
Definitely HUACA. DOT rules require a refund when operating carrier changes. This is true even if it's a regional carrier to another regional carrier.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Definitely HUACA. DOT rules require a refund when operating carrier changes. This is true even if it's a regional carrier to another regional carrier.
I'd guess that this is a fringe case, but does this also apply to foreign carriers operating to/from the US? For example, what if a frequency from LHR-ATL changes from Virgin to Delta?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by rucksack
I'd guess that this is a fringe case, but does this also apply to foreign carriers operating to/from the US? For example, what if a frequency from LHR-ATL changes from Virgin to Delta?
Not a fringe case at all. That's an operator change, very black and white.
rucksack likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rucksack
No issue as involves US flights. The rules apply to tickets issued by US carriers, even if all flights are outside the US and any ticket purchased from a US directed website, even if no US flights. Ie ticket bought at us.ceair.com even if wholly within China.
rucksack likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Not a fringe case at all. That's an operator change, very black and white.
Thanks for the info. When I said 'fringe case,' I meant in the sense of something that doesn't happen often, rather than something that's a gray area. I imagine that it's fairly uncommon to have a change in operating carrier for a long-haul international flight since it would have to involve a schedule change between JV partners. Though, it's happened to me before, so maybe it's not so uncommon after all.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Complain to DOT. My impression is that this rule isn't documented correctly in internal DL materials for phone agents.
flyerCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.