Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Close to NAN on DL??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
How do people that don't know about FT travel?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
VA is not a small airline. They dont do much long haul, but they do plenty of short/medium haul. They also have a perfectly fine First class for routes like SYD/BNE/MEL-NAN.

As for AUH-SYD, AFAIK it's all codeshare on EY now.
VA does not have first class. Has business class.
VA SYD/BNE/MEL-NAN is mainly B737 or can be A330 aircraft. B737 business class a domestic product: not the same as long haul or A330

Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadi_I...tional_Airport
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
VA SYD/BNE/MEL-NAN is mainly B737 or can be A330 aircraft. B737 business class a domestic product: not the same as long haul or A330

Great Circle Mapper
While called business class, it's a US domestic F type product, not a Euro J type product.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Great Circle Mapper
Yep. To unpack my statements:

- The statement about size is related to the reliability of their long haul ops. The fleet size there is still very small - basically just five aircraft. They’ve got plenty of 737s for regional ops and those seem to be pretty stable.
- Looks like a little over a year and a half ago, they completed adding a domestic first style business product to all the 737s. Until that happened, they usually ran economy only 737 aircraft to NAN with a few rows of what amounted to Eurobusiness, so at least now there’s a premium cabin to connect onto if you’re looking for one. Nice improvement over when I last flew them.
- While they were doing the reconfiguration to the new J seating, they handed over SYD-AUH to EY to create enough slack in the fleet, and I believe it never came back. So yes, not an issue anymore - I was hoping that would be seen as more a funny anecdote of how there’s a truly wrong way to get to Nadi by going across the Atlantic than a serious statement.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: EBD
So, Korean Air will pull out of Fiji and thus Delta have rebooked my SkyMiles C award from Stockholm (ARN) to Fiji (NAN) in December from:

ARN-AMS-ICN-NAN
to...
ARN-AMS-ICN-SYD (!!)

How creative do you experts think I can be in terms of rerouting to reach NAN instead of SYD?

There are plenty of good options on Star Alliance that I would be happy to be rerouted to...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Douglas
So, Korean Air will pull out of Fiji and thus Delta have rebooked my SkyMiles C award from Stockholm (ARN) to Fiji (NAN) in December from:

ARN-AMS-ICN-NAN
to...
ARN-AMS-ICN-SYD (!!)

How creative do you experts think I can be in terms of rerouting to reach NAN instead of SYD?

There are plenty of good options on Star Alliance that I would be happy to be rerouted to...
At a minimum, you should have no problem getting DL to route you on Virgin Australia for the final leg to at least get to your destination.

You may also have success getting as far as HKG/SIN/NRT on something like KL/AF and then asking them to book you on FJ the rest of the way if it saves significant time.

I think NZ via AKL - which I assume is the *A option you are referring to - may be a fairly tough sell... but you’ll never know until you ask.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA

At a minimum, you should have no problem getting DL to route you on Virgin Australia for the final leg to at least get to your destination.

You may also have success getting as far as HKG/SIN/NRT on something like KL/AF and then asking them to book you on FJ the rest of the way if it saves significant time.

I think NZ via AKL - which I assume is the *A option you are referring to - may be a fairly tough sell... but you’ll never know until you ask.
*A or OW are out unless VA is totally sold out. Like most airlines they dont go outside partners unless no options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.