Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How early can I check a bag at ATL for international flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond

Greetings... my son has a flight from ATL to Brussels Monday that leaves about 6:00pm. I am catching a flight at 9:30am. We are staying at a hotel by the airport. Can he go to the airport with me and check his bag for the 6:00 flight? He is then going to leave and see some sights before coming back or should he just leave them at the hotel and pick them up when he comes back to the airport around 3? Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
ATL generally will take a bag at any time, same day. Note he doesnt need to goto international terminal. DL can check bags at domestic for international flights.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ATL generally will take a bag at any time, same day. Note he doesnt need to goto international terminal. DL can check bags at domestic for international flights.
Conversly, you can check in and use the international terminal for your domestic flight. On a monday morning you might have a better time checking in and going through security at the international terminal rather than the domestic terminal.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lmsalman
Conversly, you can check in and use the international terminal for your domestic flight. On a monday morning you might have a better time checking in and going through security at the international terminal rather than the domestic terminal.
However, be careful to check the opening times for CLEAR and/or PreCheck at ATL F if applicable.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, be careful to check the opening times for CLEAR and/or PreCheck at ATL F if applicable.
6:30a - 9:30a and 12:30 - 5:30p. There is no CLEAR at the int'l terminal.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Sometimes regular F is shorter than the line at domestic that requires you to be BOTH pre-check and Clear. I was shocked last Friday morning at how long that line was, spilling out into an area of switchbacks in the terminal. Guess it's been a while since I traveled on Friday morning.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:32 pm

In November 2018, I attempted to check a bag in Atlanta for a 10pm flight 8 hours early and was declined. They enforced the 4-hour rule. There is no guarantee this will work, and Atlanta does not have a left-luggage option.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lmsalman
Hotel shuttles only drop of at domestic terminal. OP and son would need to then board a bus to goto international terminal.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hotel shuttles only drop of at domestic terminal. OP and son would need to then board a bus to goto international terminal.
All the hotel shuttles will drop you at the international terminal if you slip the driver a double sawbuck...

I've done it a few times.
tvnwz likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
All the hotel shuttles will drop you at the international terminal if you slip the driver a double sawbuck...

I've done it a few times.
I tried once and driver refused as they're fined for going there if caught.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.