Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hate new Delta.com booking system!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Hate new Delta.com booking system!!

I don't know what's going on at the mothership but every change made to Delta.com is getting worst and worst. Before I can quickly open up a search result flight option and look at individual segment, operator and aircraft in a clean small dialog. Now... it opens up a giant, overly colorful and animated popup! Does Delta do any user study group before launching these crazy updates?
sdadept, gretchendz, KRSW and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by wlau
I don't know what's going on at the mothership but every change made to Delta.com is getting worst and worst. Before I can quickly open up a search result flight option and look at individual segment, operator and aircraft in a clean small dialog. Now... it opens up a giant, overly colorful and animated popup! Does Delta do any user study group before launching these crazy updates?
of course they do ... but they probably populate the groups with 20-something techie types and people who are nose-down in screens 16 hours a day, rather than people who understand that how a user interface WORKS is far more important than how it LOOKS
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've noticed recently in my flight results that about half the time, the fares go from left (basic economy) to right (first class), the order they've historically been in. But now it is just as likely that the fares are reversed, with first class being to the left, and moving to BE on the far right. So maybe we are the user study group!!
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
they are trying to dumb it down and its making it harder for knowledgeable travelers to book. I hate it too.
SYRRDU likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ajggiant
I've noticed recently in my flight results that about half the time, the fares go from left (basic economy) to right (first class), the order they've historically been in. But now it is just as likely that the fares are reversed, with first class being to the left, and moving to BE on the far right. So maybe we are the user study group!!
I have been noticing the same thing. It seems to be 50/50 which booking engine appears when I search for flights over the last week or so. And, it seems with the new one, if I select both outbound and return segments, then try and view the seat maps from the "review your selection" screen, all the seat maps are completely grayed out. As a result I will have to look at the seat maps for the outbound flights on the outbound flights page, and then the same for the return on the return flights page. Frustrating.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:14 pm

Easy but likely temporary fix... remove the "-2" from the URL to get the old flight search tool back. And be sure to ask for the features you want back in the feedback tool at the bottom of the new search engine page (i.e. searching by fare class, etc)

Here's an easy link to the old search engine:
https://www.delta.com/flight-search

New search engine:
https://www.delta.com/flight-search-2
arunhn, ab2013, wlau and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by bruininabag
Easy but likely temporary fix... remove the "-2" from the URL to get the old flight search tool back. And be sure to ask for the features you want back in the feedback tool at the bottom of the new search engine page (i.e. searching by fare class, etc)

Here's an easy link to the old search engine:
https://www.delta.com/flight-search

New search engine:
https://www.delta.com/flight-search-2
Great tip! Thanks!!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Simply put, most people don't care about aircraft or operating airline, and consider that information to be clutter
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767

of course they do ... but they probably populate the groups with 20-something techie types and people who are nose-down in screens 16 hours a day, rather than people who understand that how a user interface WORKS is far more important than how it LOOKS
20-something techies have their own script to pull data directly from Matrix ITA API. This UI is designed for boomers that are confused by more than 3 buttons on their VHS remote.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have moved ALL of my travel bookings to the Amex portal, much easier and cleaner, and you still earn Skymiles.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes the new interface has a significant amount of wasted space, and requires additional navigation to acomplish the same tasks such as customizing search results or looking for details about a flight such as distance, meals etc.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdadept
they are trying to dumb it down and its making it harder for knowledgeable travelers to book. I hate it too.
They are making it harder for knowledgeable travelers to book, but impossible for inexperienced travelers to book. On Monday, I was trying to coach a friend through the booking process for a trip we are taking together - after getting completely frustrated, I wound up just getting my friend's login info and did the booking for him. And of course the new website does not work on all browsers, which just makes things even more frustrating. It would be interesting to be an internal person at Delta and be looking at the before and after data to see how many people book at DL.com vs OTAs.
KRSW and sdadept like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Well I've just done a side by side by trying the two different URLs shown above, and this was the first time I've seen the new booking interface. I used the same airports and dates for the search, and would say I'm not a fan of the new one. Other than it matching the design of the new homepage introduced last year, it seems like a pretty dumbed down update to make it easier for the leisure traveler. Larger baby-boomer friendly fonts, more colors, and the seat map and details pages spell out the differences between each cabin. Whether or not people actually find this easier to use remains to be seen I guess, but it really this doesn't seem like the end of the world. Anyone with any basic computer literacy should be able to figure it out, get the info they need, and make a booking.

Interestingly, the old booking page had reversed the order of fare classes with first on the left c+ middle, and main cabin on the right. The new version booking had them ordered in the traditional main cabin left to F on the right.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I too hate the new website. I used to be able to tab through all of the fields to enter in my search perimeters, but now I have to click stuff, very annoying. I've also noticed that more often than not, I'm not able to click on links and go anywhere. This is specifically when navigiating around my profile and the new nav bar at the top.

Also, Virgin Atlantic has an identical search feature on it's site. Just a different color palette. Not at all surprising given they're owned by DL.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
The online experience for booking tix for the family is horrible. I go to the Diamond line for those bookings. They usually screw something up, but I get it corrected within a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.