Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adds 'S' as New Comfort+ Booking Code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I just stumbled across this on the Delta agency website. I hadn't heard anything about it yet and it seems to have gone live today. Apologies if I missed FT leaking this info early

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-s--class.html

They are adding a new rbd (S) for Comfort+ bookings; looks like it will be a lower class than W. Fare basis will use I in place of C. Looks like this went live for published inventory today.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta - Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum; GE
What was S before?

It’s interesting that a good number of test markets involve tickets departing Dothan, AL.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by bacrs
What was S before?

It’s interesting that a good number of test markets involve tickets departing Dothan, AL.
It was an economy fare. But it hasn't been used in some time (or at least I haven't been booked into it forever). It fell between "H" and "M" in the old fare class hierarchy.

Sounds like Delta will begin doing variable price C+ bookings rather than the current "Cost + X" approach.

Good news for those who like to booked paid C+ tickets. Bad news for anyone who wants to snag a C+ upgrade (it doesn't affect me as I never get C+ prior to the gate anyways).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:37 pm

I saw this a few days ago. I have a Sabre subscription and can see many buckets. Here is an example:

DL/** 4006 SAT MSP 18 JUN J1 C1 D1 I1 Z1 W0 S1 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

Why is S=1 while W=0? Well, there is one unassigned C+ seat on this plane but since the flight is sold out in Y (Y=0) it is not bookable. If you try to book this flight it is sold out in Y and C+. The other day I saw S8 with Y0. My kids were booked on that flight and when I pulled up the seat map of their reservation there were 8 unassigned C+ seats. Of note, there were two C+ seats held back for airport assignment that were not captured in the S total.

I do not believe you can book a ticket in S. Also, I believe this is upgrade code to C+ for Medallions booked in Y.

Hope this helps. I believe this is correct. But an open for further insights.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by happydad100
I do not believe you can book a ticket in S. Also, I believe this is upgrade code to C+ for Medallions booked in Y.
The upgrade class has been S​​​​​​U for a while:

Comfort + "Upgrades" appearing as SU class, rather than WU class.

SU fare class?

So I think the upshot of the announcement is that by adding S, they'll be selling cash (vs award) tickets in C+ in two different buckets now?
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sounds like Delta will begin doing variable price C+ bookings rather than the current "Cost + X" approach.
I doubt they will abandon the differential pricing scheme for C+ fares; I assume this just lets them better capacity control the C+ cabin (i.e. if it's booked to N-3, they might only sell a higher W fare even though U or X is available).

Originally Posted by happydad100
Two-letter S* codes for various types of non-paid C+:

Dual character ‘S’ class will still be utilized for Comfort+ upgrade certificates. Due to a GDS limitation of only being able to display a single class of service, travel agents will see ‘S’ class for all of the following 'S’ class booking options, even though they may be booked as a dual character class of service:
  • Revenue (S)
  • SkyMiles Award (SN)
  • Complimentary Medallion upgrade (SU)
  • SkyMiles Global or Regional upgrade (SY)
  • eNCI upgrade certificate (SY)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

S is currently used for Comfort+ award bookings ( they stopped using it for revenue fare bookings some time ago). They will be using SN for C+ award fares instead of just plan S which frees it up again for revenue fares.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL
Wonder if the C+ SDC policy will require fare bucket inventory in the near future.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
It was an economy fare. But it hasn't been used in some time (or at least I haven't been booked into it forever). It fell between "H" and "M" in the old fare class hierarchy.

Good news for those who like to booked paid C+ tickets. Bad news for anyone who wants to snag a C+ upgrade (it doesn't affect me as I never get C+ prior to the gate anyways).
For some partners like KLM, it was once S for "standard" coach fare, which was a pretty high fare class but not FULL Y, so I suspect it corresponded to how DL used S in Y B M S H Q K S L U X V E.

I was wondering how long it would be before DL had more than one class for C+.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Wonder if the C+ SDC policy will require fare bucket inventory in the near future.
My thoughts exactly.
MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rucksack

My thoughts exactly.
......but will DL still retain the underlying coach fare classes for C+? [If anything, I suspect that DL is doing more of this even though they insist that the instant upgrade fares, which aren't very obvious when purchasing tickets, will be treated like premium cabin fares in IROPs etc. I ran into this recently when I was trying to change a deep discount FC ticket and the new flight I wanted only had M+ coach inventory, which forced it to be rebooked into C rather than Z which was available. Others have been reporting issues stemming from underlying coach fare codes for PS tickets on certain longhaul international routes.]
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For some partners like KLM, it was once S for "standard" coach fare, which was a pretty high fare class but not FULL Y, so I suspect it corresponded to how DL used S in Y B M S H Q K S L U X V E.

I was wondering how long it would be before DL had more than one class for C+.
DL stopped using S for revenue fares awhile ago and has been using it for C+ awards. They forgot to remove it from some of the list of revenue fares in some places.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 17, 2019 at 8:56 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
There's more than one FC booking class (5, in fact) and they don't require original booking inventory for FC.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL stopped using S for revenue fares awhile ago and has been using it for C+ awards. They forgot to remove it from some of the list of revenue fares in some places.
I think @MSPeconomist was making a point about how DL fare classes “used” to be. I think they’re aware that “S” was no longer used for Main Cabin revenue fares...

Originally Posted by xliioper
There's more than one FC booking class (5, in fact) and they don't require original booking inventory for FC.
Yes, but the policy for F was clearly by design. The policy for C+ (I think) emerged out of necessity due to the impossibility of explaining “underlying fare basis” to average consumers.

Last edited by rucksack; Jun 17, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rucksack

I think @MSPeconomist was making a point about how DL fare classes “used” to be. I think they’re aware that “S” was no longer used for Main Cabin revenue fares...

Yes, but the policy for F was clearly by design. The policy for C+ (I think) emerged out of necessity due to the impossibility of explaining “underlying fare basis” to average consumers.
I just booked an award ticket and chose C+ on the outbound leg only. I could have sworn the class on the receipt was listed as S when I bought the ticket a couple days ago. Now it says SW. I'll be disappointed if they change the SDC rules, because I spent an extra 1000 Skymiles for C+ rather than Y just for the improved SDC availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.