Wiki Posts
Search

MSP international arrivals in November

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
MSP international arrivals in November

Travelling AMS-(Delta hub)-LAS in November. Before Thanksgiving, something like 13-20 Nov.
Which is the best Delta hub airport to choose in terms of:
- Immigration lines
- Weather
My options are MSP, DTW and ATL.
MSP seems a good option. I expect Immigration lines may be shorter than ATL, say. But weather in November may be tricky.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by mikem004
Travelling AMS-(Delta hub)-LAS in November. Before Thanksgiving, something like 13-20 Nov.
Which is the best Delta hub airport to choose in terms of:
- Immigration lines
- Weather
My options are MSP, DTW and ATL.
MSP seems a good option. I expect Immigration lines may be shorter than ATL, say. But weather in November may be tricky.
November in MSP is when the palm trees are starting to lose their leaves . I wouldn't worry, some of us live here (and travel) year round. The immigration lines are typically pretty short. Two weeks ago it took me 20 minutes from the plane to the Uber.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Try to avoid the AMS-MSP flight that arrives in the early afternoon. There is a stretch in the general time span from noon to 2pm when flights arrive almost simultaneously from AMS, CDG, and HND.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
You don’t say if you have GE. I have good experience at DTW. ATL can be challenging with reclearing security.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I don't have GE. I am a UK passport holder and will have an ESTA electronic visa.
I recently renewed my passport, so won't be able to use an APC kiosk as this will be my first entry into the USA on a new ESTA.
So I will be queueing up with masses for Immigration. And I will be travelling Economy, one of the last off the plane.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

I don't have GE. I am a UK passport holder and will have an ESTA electronic visa.
I recently renewed my passport, so won't be able to use an APC kiosk as this will be my first entry into the USA on a new ESTA.
So I will be queueing up with masses for Immigration. And I will be travelling Economy, one of the last off the plane.
I guess I'd still avoid ATL. The key I think will be how many other flights are arriving at about the same time.
How long is the connection?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
I guess I'd still avoid ATL. The key I think will be how many other flights are arriving at about the same time.
How long is the connection?
The flight arrives in the busy 1200-1400 period that CarmenOM mentions.
But I have 2h30 for the connection, which should be plenty of time.
And as a KLM Gold I will have access to the lounge at MSP.

I think I will give MSP a try. If it goes well, I may decide to pay a visit to the twin cities one day.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:03 pm

With 2:30 for the connection, I think you have nothing to worry about.
There are 2 lounges at MSP -- one between the F and G concourses (recently renovated, no views), the other in the middle of the C concourse (much as it was when NW built it 20 or 30 years ago). I prefer the environment in C -- but the food may be more abundant/varied in F/G. MSP is spread out, but easy to get around.
As I recall from living in St Paul and making connections more recently, the west coast flights often leave from the mid-to-high G gates. Which are about the same distance from both of the clubs -- although it may seem the C club is more distant. Some of the MSP flyers may have other thoughts.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
MSP is def the easiest port of entry of your choices. Yes, the lines back up at the peak time, but the CBP agents are courteous and the line moves quickly. The TSA agents at recheck are friendly (that statement would be an oxymoron at JFK). You exit security pretty close to the SkyClub between concourses F & G. It is as painless an experience as is possible (for the US) owing somewhat (I believe) to people in that part of the US are just inherently nice.

BTW, while the agents in the SkyClub are friendly and very helpful, don't expect too much from the lounge itself. It is pretty average in the offerings and can get quite crowded in the late afternoon.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:37 pm

Coming back from LHR, to MEM, husband went thru ATL, and I went thru MSP ( we departed LHR about the same time). I got thru MSP in 10 minutes, it took him more than 60 minutes in ATL. Son was with us in London, and he lives in Detroit and flew to DTW.. He works for an airline, and often flies back to DTW. It's a great airport. I am not a fan of ATL. Just my 2 cents.. MSP was great.
mikem004 likes this.

Last edited by stan1162; Jun 11, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:15 pm

Good news for you: Passengers with a new or recently renewed ESTA no longer have to go to the visa line; they can use the kiosks.
mikem004 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
\ My options are MSP, DTW and ATL.
And that is the proper priority order. Avoid ATL.

Early November is too early to worry about major weather disruptions. There is a non-zero chance but that is business as usual.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:15 pm

A little additional information, relevant to this thread, gleaned from a meeting I attended this morning:

Increasing categories of passengers can use the kiosks, including ESTA, visa holders, green card holders, etc.

The future of travel screening, for the airlines and CBP, is biometric facial recognition; biometrics will eventually replace the current CBP kiosks. The airlines will initiate this change first, then CBP will follow when the airlines are fully utilizing the technology. This is no longer in the hazy future; it’s coming soon.

There is a national shortage of CBP officers. Staffing levels at individual airports, including MSP, fluctuate as officers are temporarily assigned for up to 60 days to the US southern border.
mikem004 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.