Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta no longer has any Boeing planes on order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta no longer has any Boeing planes on order

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: DL Plat
its because of the ME3
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Thank God the 737-900 are all in house. Now the LOOOOOOOOOOONG (and much-anticipated) countdown to retirement. Horrible machine in the Delta configuration.
SJC ORD LDR and HDQDD like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I don't really care where the planes come from (Airbus or Boeing) as long as they are safe and operationally reliable. Would I like to support an American company (Boeing)? Sure I would, but I don't believe in buying things you don't need or that don't work well for specific routes and markets just to support a specific brand. I'm sure Boeing will produce a plane that Delta is interested in in the future and I wouldn't be surprised if AA or UA order more Airbus' in the future (depending on where things go in the next however many years). Delta clearly has a strategy of picking up old planes at discounted rates. I am sure there will be 737s that are brought into the fleet sooner or later.
Totally agree. As consumers, competition is good. Both A and B are good companies, but unless you're a stockholder of one or the other, their supply chains are so global now, it doesn't really matter. Personally, I generally like Airbus narrow-bodies more than Boeing's because the A32x is half a foot wider than the 737's. You can notice that small difference. In the wide body World, I like Boeing better. I think their offering is superior to what Airbus has at the moment. The 777 and 787 are amazing airplanes. Overall I generally like Boeing's Cockpit design better.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Thank God the 737-900 are all in house. Now the LOOOOOOOOOOONG (and much-anticipated) countdown to retirement. Horrible machine in the Delta configuration.
I'll fly a Delta 737-900ER over an American "Oasis" 737
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Given Delta Tech Ops abilities, I suspect that DL can keep the small subfleet of A332s running for a long time.
Would it make sense for DL to perhaps opportunistically buy or lease some medium-time A332s as they come off first lease with others? There's a decent number that were delivered new 10-14 years ago. While their operating cost per seat mile is a little higher than the 333s, if the capital expenditures can hit a sweet spot, they have range and good cabin comfort. Could serve a fill-in role as 767s bump up against the next heavy checks, couldn't they?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Austin787
I'll fly a Delta 737-900ER over an American "Oasis" 737

I ACTIVELY book away from both products. Why are the 739s always so hot inside?

I actually find myself looking for Airbus product now on any airline I fly. They are generally more passenger friendly. My secondary carrier is UA. The 787 is atrocious in Y at 9x. Thank God DL kept 9x in the 777. I won't fly that on UA or AA at 10x. Yes, I usually fly premium cabin and it doesn't matter so much, but IRROPS happen. Not a risk I am willing to take. I hope that the 797 (if that happens) will take some lessons from Airbus. They have designed cabins where it is not easy for airlines to cram in an extra seat. Ultimately I know it comes down to the airline configuration (I find UA's 739s MUCH-better than DL's with a mid-cabin lav and a break in the sea of seats), but Airbus has predicted the penny pinching in the industry and set it up where it is not practical (except by bottom-dwelling ULCC) to increase seating abreast.

Last edited by bubbashow; Jun 12, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Sadly, the 737-900 is the most common type in the fleet (and the plane that does all the frequencies to ATL, JFK, and DTW from my home airport). Eventually there will be 227 A321s (both ceo and neo), but that's still several years away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.