Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Concourse D gates appallingly filthy and run down -- worse than a bus station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Concourse D gates appallingly filthy and run down -- worse than a bus station

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I've been to D in Atlanta.

I've been to a Greyhound station

Trust me, the Greyhound station is worse. There was not the smell of stale urine at the Delta gates!
That's some endorsement!
ATL - We're Better the Bus Station!
ryw and defrosted like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ajl1239
And the trash and filth at so many gates. It's not just about rundown buildings, but about being dirty.
I may not travel there as much as you do, but I just don't see this to the extent you are portraying it to be. I have seen it, I have inadvertently sat in goo before, but that is because people are gross, but they clean it up, it happens everywhere not just ATL.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
That's some endorsement!
ATL - We're Better the Bus Station!
Depends on the bus station!
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've been to all of those domestic airports and to well over 50 countries. ATL strikes me as one of the world's worst (major) airports, particularly given the rude and chaotic TSA/CBP experiences there. And the trash and filth at so many gates. It's not just about rundown buildings, but about being dirty.

The ATL Next thing is nice, but they're spending millions to build an elaborate canopy, even as the conditions inside the airport -- Terminal D, the domestic rotunda, and many other places -- are appalling. Why is a canopy a priority?

The Marta/international connectivity issue is indeed an ATL issue. Excusing that problem because Atlanta has a problematic history with public transportation is absurd. ATL -- and by extension Delta -- simply doesn't view its international flights as worthy of world-class infrastructure.
I go to or through ATL dozens of times a year, and have also been to numerous other cities and countries, but I have a very different opinion than you. I'd encourage you to actually look into ATL Next a bit to see that it's far more than just the canopies (which themselves are intended to make the O/D experience better in several ways, again as part of a much larger and lengthier project).

That said, you're entitled to your perspective which clearly isn't going to change, and you're also entitled to avoid ATL if you really feel it's that bad. Certainly many of us avoid other airports for reasons of our own, as well.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This guy must just be a troll or else doesn't travel much.

Atlanta airport is not an impressively beautiful airport. That said, it isn't a dump either. The whole airport is very nice in comparison to a lot of other major airports. Most of LAX, ORD, LGA, JFK and large parts of EWR and IAD are significantly worse than the ATL airport. Looking out of at the top-10 US airports by passenger volume, I'm strained to find a single airport that is significantly better than ATL. The only airport that I can say is truly differentiated is perhaps Denver, and that is mostly because it is a comparatively new airport (only having opened in 1995). CLT, DFW, SFO, and SEA are probably on par with Atlanta depending on which concourses/terminals you're looking at. The rest are noticeably worse.
KBMIFlyer, emrdoc and gooselee like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
post some pics
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't think the OP spends a lot of time at bus stations. Now had this thread been about SLC I might have been more inclined to agree but as someone who's at ATL several times a month (often using D to go to such wondrous destinations as ABY, AEX and CSG) I disagree with the premise of this thread.

Also, D has the Chipotle so that's something to be happy about
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
100% agree. It is disgusting how quickly SEA became an absolute dump. 5 years ago, I would have said SEA was one of the most enjoyable airports to fly through. Now the only airports that I think compare to SEA are LAX and EWR. People in SEA are addicted to littering, whether it be in the airport or on the highways, and the garbage just piles up and sits until it rots.
SEA is fine except during mid-afternoon at the south satellite. I mean, its crowded and all, but it has almost doubled in volume in 10 years, what does one expect? The bus thing is kind of annoying, but that isn't a cleanliness issue, the buses are pretty nice. I was surprised to see Norwegian loading up a 787 with buses the other day.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by davidlhanson
Wouldn't discourteous passengers (even perhaps for the broken seats) be a major cause of what you describe at ATL? Messes of crumbs and liquids, and fast food waste everywhere are the result of piggy passengers, IMHO.
Ultimately it's up to the airport to keep up with 'piggy passengers'. It's not like they only fly from one terminal.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The (non-DL) T-gates were much worse than D the last time I ventured over there (admittedly ~2 years ago).

Personally, I don't really care what the airport looks like as long as it functions well. Por ejemploe: JFK has some nice concourses, but I for dang sure wouldn't book a connecting flight there when ATL is an option.
Come on back to the T gates, they have been redone.. and the whole of the T gates is fresh and new
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I really think gate maintenance is the airport's responsibility, not Delta's. The situation described sounds pretty dismal, but I suspect Delta is just as disgusted as you are.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:26 pm

I agree that the airport overall is not world-class and is frankly appalling for the busiest airport in the United States.

They recently "renovated" the walkways between terminals -- if you don't take the train -- and totally screwed up the HVAC! Some are freezing cold and some are hot and humid. And the art/theming is a weird mix of local Georgia history (grotesquely elevating the Confederacy), African art and, and fake rainforest.

And then there's the outdated Marta station. And the fact that the international terminal has no public transport at all apart from a local bus -- you have to take a shuttle to the domestic terminal's Marta station.
Yes, I can't believe they did not install a real rainforest!!!
gooselee and defrosted like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I've been to all of those domestic airports and to well over 50 countries. ATL strikes me as one of the world's worst (major) airports, particularly given the rude and chaotic TSA/CBP experiences there. And the trash and filth at so many gates. It's not just about rundown buildings, but about being dirty.

The ATL Next thing is nice, but they're spending millions to build an elaborate canopy, even as the conditions inside the airport -- Terminal D, the domestic rotunda, and many other places -- are appalling. Why is a canopy a priority?

The Marta/international connectivity issue is indeed an ATL issue. Excusing that problem because Atlanta has a problematic history with public transportation is absurd. ATL -- and by extension Delta -- simply doesn't view its international flights as worthy of world-class infrastructure.
You sound like you just have sour grapes. ATL is far from the worst, filthiest, rudest airport.

I fly through ATL about 20 times a year, most of my flights (DCA) end up out of T. I don't mind A or B, E or F. The renovations in the concourses are nice. If you don't like the HVAC in the walkways between concourses, take the train. I routinely walk it and don't have any complaints. Have you not seen the newly renovated T, A, B gates?

ATL is one of the most efficient airports I've ever been in. When you take into account the number of flights DL funnels through ATL on a daily basis it's amazing. Is the airport perfect? Of course not, but it's hardly the dump you are implying.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Yes, I can't believe they did not install a real rainforest!!!
That's not what I was calling for, although Singapore has proven it's possible.

My point was that the walkways between terminals are weird and poorly planned.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
That's not what I was calling for, although Singapore has proven it's possible.

My point was that the walkways between terminals are weird and poorly planned.
This isn't Singapore, this is a largely domestic-serving US airport. And the walkways are far more efficient than a lot of what you find in the US.
emrdoc and gooselee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.