Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Concourse D gates appallingly filthy and run down -- worse than a bus station

Delta Concourse D gates appallingly filthy and run down -- worse than a bus station

Old Jun 4, 19, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I recently departed -- about 21:00 -- from the end of Delta's Concourse D gates (26 June) and was absolutely shocked by the filth and run-down gates. Delta considers itself the "premier airline" of the United States, but it's maintaining its concourses like this at its "hometown hub" -- really?

Here's what I saw:
  • A row of collapsed seats (i.e. one side was on the ground)
  • Ripped and torn seats at almost every gate
  • Plugs with "doesn't work" and "works" hand-written in black marker
  • Fast food waste everywhere (cups, bags, trash, etc.)
  • Crumbs and liquid mess everywhere
  • A new-ish seat with yellow tape awkwardly covering it and the words "broke seat" in hand-written marker
This seems to be a combination of Delta poorly maintaining their gates and ATL doing a horrific job of keeping their airport clean.

ATL brags that it's "the world's busiest airport" and Delta brands itself as the premier legacy carrier. My recent experience on Delta's ATL concourse D, however, was, worse than any major bus station in a developing country.

I'm frankly embarrassed for Delta and, as an American, embarrassed that visitors from abroad to our "busiest airport" have to encounter these conditions.

Atlanta and Delta should both be ashamed.
golfr and altabello like this.

Last edited by ajl1239; Jun 4, 19 at 8:07 pm
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
It would be helpful if the thread title specified the airport.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:07 pm

Concourse D has historically had narrower walkways based on its original intent of only O and D traffic for non-hub carriers. It is the worst of all the Concourses. Even the D SC only has one unisex bathroom. The other Concourses are all much nicer.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
It would be helpful if the thread title specified the airport.
You're right. Mods can edit the title. Sorry, I can't.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Concourse D has historically had narrower walkways based on its original intent of only O and D traffic for non-hub carriers. It is the worst of all the Concourses. Even the D SC only has one unisex bathroom. The other Concourses are all much nicer.
This isn't a "narrow walkway" issue, but a filth and chaos issue.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Sounds a lot like ORD Concourse E!
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Aren't those mostly the CRJ-200 gates?

Maybe they don't want you to get your hopes up for the comfort level you are about to experience on board?
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; UA 1K; AS 75K
Used to be.

Now you'll find DL mainline at the 4 former NW gates on E and occasionally 717 ops on the north end of E, to go along with CR9 CR7 and yes the CRJ. 10 years ago for DL it was CRJ and even SF3 central.

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post

Maybe they don't want you to get your hopes up for the comfort level you are about to experience on board?
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post

Yes, my filthy MD-88 should match the airport, I guess.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ajl1239 View Post

ATL brags that it's "the world's busiest airport" and Delta brands itself as the premier legacy carrier. My recent experience on Delta's ATL concourse D, however, was, worse than any major bus station in a developing country.

I'm frankly embarrassed for Delta and, as an American, embarrassed that visitors from abroad to our "busiest airport" have to encounter these conditions.
Unfortunately, these types of conditions are par for the course when it comes to airports in many of America's most important cities - LAX, ORD, LGA, EWR, and ATL are all absolutely decrepit.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Only one has the small SC and one bathroom. The other "basement" location on D is hands down my favorite SC. (Generally not crowded with I believe 7 bathrooms)
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Par for the course with large US airports. But yes, Concourse D at ATL is the worst and needs to be bulldozed. Makes LGA look like Buckingham Palace.
FlyingNone and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 10:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
Par for the course with large US airports. But yes, Concourse D at ATL is the worst and needs to be bulldozed. Makes LGA look like Buckingham Palace.
That is just not true. Concourse D is bus stationesque, for sure, but LGA is the ultimate bus station. LGA is equally challenged when it comes to comfort and aesthetics.
emrdoc and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:10 am

Programs: DL PM
I haven't been through "D" in ATL since last December (I think). To me it was sufficiently maintained. Sure, it isn't as polished as "F" or the recently renovated "B" in ATL. It is narrower than the other concourses and used to be regional, but now it is a combo of regional/mainline. Personally I think ATL is one of the best maintained airports in the US. With the worst being SEA.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:19 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Wouldn't discourteous passengers (even perhaps for the broken seats) be a major cause of what you describe at ATL? Messes of crumbs and liquids, and fast food waste everywhere are the result of piggy passengers, IMHO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: