Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Go for this Offer?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Should I Go for this Offer?

Just received an offer in the mail for the Gold Delta SkyMiles credit card from American Express. It's for 60,000 SkyMiles for 2k spend in 3 months. All I have to do is apply on their website (or call) using my SkyMiles number.

The thing is that I've already earned a bonus on a Gold Delta SkyMiles card back in 2013.
Also, I had done an app-o-rama (5 cards, none of them Amex) exactly 3 days before I received this Amex offer in the mail.

If I apply for this card, will I be approved and receive the bonus?

I don't want another hard pull on my credit report for nothing.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Not 100% sure, but I think you're ok for the bonus. There's usually a 12, or 24, month "waiting" period before you can receive the bonus again.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:58 pm

Delta changed it to one bonus per card per lifetime.... I think back in 2014 or so
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by KRUXED
Delta changed it to one bonus per card per lifetime.... I think back in 2014 or so
Ok, my bad. I may be thinking of a Chase CC.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arkangel
Ok, my bad. I may be thinking of a Chase CC.
Negative. I was denied a Chase Sapphire Preferred card in my last app-o-rama. When I received the rejection letter, it mentioned that the reason for the denial was that I had received a CSP bonus "less than 48 months ago".

Last edited by joer1212; Jun 2, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Update: I read somewhere that the 1 bonus per lifetime American Express rule doesn't apply to targeted offers, so I applied for the Delta card, and was instantly approved. Hopefully, they'll honor the 60k miles they promised.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like a generic open bonus offer to me. It's right on Delta's website --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nal-cards.html

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Looks like a generic open bonus offer to me. It's right on Delta's website --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nal-cards.html

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
How will I know for sure if I'll get the bonus? Should I call Amex to find out? I'd hate to spend 2k on the card, only to find out it was for nothing.

By the way, doesn't American Express now warn you if you won't be eligible for the bonus before you proceed with the application? The fact they didn't warn me this time (they have at other times) is what got my hopes up.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:09 pm

In my experience, the delta agent was the best to tell me which cards I was still eligible for a bonus. Amex just tries to get you to sign up for a card
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

In my experience, the delta agent was the best to tell me which cards I was still eligible for a bonus. Amex just tries to get you to sign up for a card

I'll have to give them a call, then. I hope I didn't open this account in vain. I find it very sneaky and misleading on Amex's part to mail me a flyer with my Delta Frequent flyer number printed on it, promising me 60k miles, if they're not going to honor it. In my book, that's a bona fide targeted offer, and should be excluded from the once per lifetime bonus rule.

By the way, this is the warning American Express should now give you when you're not eligible for a welcome bonus. I didn't get this warning, so I am somewhat hopeful that I'll get the bonus:

https://millionmilesecrets.com/news/...welcome-offer/

Last edited by joer1212; Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL agents are frequently a source of misinformation (as has been documented here many, many times). I would challenge them to whether they can see something definitive, or if they are just guessing.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL agents are frequently a source of misinformation (as has been documented here many, many times). I would challenge them to whether they can see something definitive, or if they are just guessing.
That's what I suspected. I guess the only way I'll find out for sure is to just spend the 2k on the card, and see if they credit the 60k bonus.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
AMEX has been known to send offers without the once per lifetime bonus language. See eg recent discussion in the last page or two of this thread:

Ongoing offers for Delta American Express cards

Even with the lifetime language, I've seen posts in the AMEX forum suggesting they only keep ~7 years' worth of data.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
AMEX has been known to send offers without the once per lifetime bonus language. See eg recent discussion in the last page or two of this thread:

Ongoing offers for Delta American Express cards

Even with the lifetime language, I've seen posts in the AMEX forum suggesting they only keep ~7 years' worth of data.
Regardless, I likely would have gotten a pop up warning stating that I am not eligible for the welcome bonus if Amex wasn't going to honor the 60k miles.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:18 am
formerly smoaky

Unless you get a pop up when you apply I think you might be OK? Is that what happens to other folks who have had the card before? Is the offer NLL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.