Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying Extra for Comfort+ to do Same Day Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

On the flight I'm looking at, it's about $30 more for comfort+, but the flights I actually want to take are about $100 more. Is there any reason (other than no comfort+ being available day of, which seems unlikely) why I wouldn't book the comfort+ on the cheaper flight? There are multiple options for the flights I want to take, so I'm not too worried about no seats being available. I don't really care about the benefits of comfort+ and have never not gotten it on these flights as an upgrade anyway. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is special about the flights you want to get on? Is the fare higher for them because they consist of a broken fare? They may not be a valid routing for the cheaper fare you are purchasing. You may have difficultly SDC'ing onto them if the routing is not valid for the fare.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
a lot of regulars here use that logic when debating whether to buy the upgrade to First, and it almost always comes up when someone asks if it’s “worth it” to take an FCM offer ... SDC-ability seems to be a big part (like 99+%) of OP’s value proposition here
Old May 29, 2019, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was a discussion about what fare class availability is required to do SDC in C+ given that W fares seem to have an underlying coach fare basis. OP should check DL's current published rules even if just to have an argument when an agent refuses and says to just try SDS.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there was a discussion about what fare class availability is required to do SDC in C+ given that W fares seem to have an underlying coach fare basis. OP should check DL's current published rules even if just to have an argument when an agent refuses and says to just try SDS.
C+ fares can SDC onto any flight with open C+ seats. The issue seems to be if there's no C+ seats. Then some agents insist you need the same coach fare class that underlies the C+ fare.
rogo likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
C+ fares can SDC onto any flight with open C+ seats. The issue seems to be if there's no C+ seats. Then some agents insist you need the same coach fare class that underlies the C+ fare.
This. Same issue with FCM SDC, where some uninformed agents insist it is not a FC ticket.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by xliioper
What is special about the flights you want to get on? Is the fare higher for them because they consist of a broken fare? They may not be a valid routing for the cheaper fare you are purchasing. You may have difficultly SDC'ing onto them if the routing is not valid for the fare.
I assume broken fare means pricing the connection as two one ways? That doesn't appear to be the case.

Not sure on the reason for the price difference, it was x for the cheaper ticket and q for the more expensive ones.

Anyway, I waited and was able to get the flight I wanted for 10 dollars more than the cheaper one, so no need to deal with the sdc this time, but appreciate the help for the next time I see this on a personal trip.
​​
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I assume broken fare means pricing the connection as two one ways? That doesn't appear to be the case.

Not sure on the reason for the price difference, it was x for the cheaper ticket and q for the more expensive ones.

Anyway, I waited and was able to get the flight I wanted for 10 dollars more than the cheaper one, so no need to deal with the sdc this time, but appreciate the help for the next time I see this on a personal trip.
​​
Yes, it means pricing the connection as two one-way fares combined together instead of a single fare for both flights. There will generally be two different booking classes shown when this happens (although if both flights book into the same class, the website will merge them and show them as one even through there are actually two fares involved). This often happens on routes with non-stop service with more than 3 or 4 daily non-stop flights. The published fares for these routes will almost always require flying one of the non-stop flights, but delta.com will frequently display broken fare connecting options (which will almost always cost more than the non-stop options on a single fare because of the separate fares involved) to provide additional alternatives.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by xliioper
The published fares for these routes will almost always require flying one of the non-stop flights, but delta.com will frequently display broken fare connecting options (which will almost always cost more than the non-stop options on a single fare because of the separate fares involved) to provide additional alternatives.
My experience has been that delta.com does not return broken fare connections. For instance, a dummy booking RIC-LGA will only return direct flights because the routing rules for every fare require non-stop. However, RIC-BOS will return non-stop and 1-stop fares, but since only T fares and higher allow a 1-stop routing, those fares will be more expensive that the V and X fares which require direct flights.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajggiant
My experience has been that delta.com does not return broken fare connections. For instance, a dummy booking RIC-LGA will only return direct flights because the routing rules for every fare require non-stop. However, RIC-BOS will return non-stop and 1-stop fares, but since only T fares and higher allow a 1-stop routing, those fares will be more expensive that the V and X fares which require direct flights.
I suppose it depends on the route. I see it on numerous routes out of DTW. For example DTW-BOS, DTW-LGA, DTW-BNA, DTW-LAX, DTW-CLT, etc. The fares on these routes all require non-stop routing, but delta.com includes broken fare connecting options in the flights listings.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 3, 2019 at 9:14 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM
That's interesting...I wonder if broken fares are allowed through certain connections and not others. ATL comes to mind as perhaps a restricted connection.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can purchase a broken fare as two separate tickets or alternatively call DL and ask to have the segments and fares you want combined (if possible) on a single ticket/PNR. A competent real live human TA can do this too.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cheapest fares often have combination restrictions (such as an A-B-A routing requirement or no side trips permitted). If that is true, they cannot be combined with other fares that don't meet these routing restrictions on a single ticket and the only way to book the fares is on separate tickets. For example, you can't nest the cheapest RDU-BOS fare within a cheap DTW-RDU fare on a single ticket as that would be considered a side trip which is prohibited. You can only book the fares on two separate tickets. The broken fare options in the fare listings are upfared to whatever fare that allows combining the fares on a single ticket. This is why when you want to take advantage of cheaper international fares out of JFK, you have to book the positioning flights from your home airport on a separate ticket.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 3, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:44 am

OK so if I pay the $29 upgrade to Comfort on my current ticket does that change my fare class so I can SDC to an earlier flight?

I currently have a U fare. Expert Flyer shows nothing available in that fare bucket but W is available on every earlier flight.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, if done before T-24. In that case you're upgrading to an actual C+ fare. Within T-24, you're just paying a fee to take a seat in another cabin, not the difference in fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.