Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles Name Issue: Buying ticket for myself

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles Name Issue: Buying ticket for myself

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Question SkyMiles Name Issue: Buying ticket for myself

Hello everyone! I have a SkyMiles account with a bonus from an AMEX Delta Gold, so I'd like to book a flight for August.

My SkyMiles account was created by AMEX when I opened my card. The issue is that I have two last names, and somehow the system shorted the last one, missing some letters.
I contacted Delta and they have the weirdest way to update it, send an email thru a contact link with my passport/id and ask them to change it. It can take all the way up to 30 days.

However, I need to book a flight for August, and prices are already going up. I plan to use my bonus miles from the card, so, can I just select "I'm not travelling" when making the reservation and then put the correct info on the ticket? Will I run into any issue?

Thanks!
James.

Last edited by Pottetan; May 24, 2019 at 2:11 pm Reason: Missed month of travelling
Old May 24, 2019, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Pottetan
My SkyMiles account was created by AMEX when I opened my card. The issue is that I have two last names, and somehow the system shorted the last one, missing some letters.
I contacted Delta and they have the weirdest way to update it, send an email thru a contact link with my passport/id and ask them to change it. It can take all the way up to 30 days.
Ugh. The name change can be incredibly frustrating. I had to resort to sending a fax (yes, in this day and age) to get a correction a few years ago, dunno if the situation has improved.

Here's a relatively recent thread, with a link to some other threads in the 4th post, which may give you an idea of the experience that awaits you

However, I need to book a flight for August, and prices are already going up. I plan to use my bonus miles from the card, so, can I just select "I'm not travelling" when making the reservation and then put the correct info on the ticket? Will I run into any issue?
That shouldn't cause a problem. If you have elite status you might miss out on those benefits, although you could also possibly add the number afterward (not sure if there will be an issue if the names don't exactly match)

Good luck and welcome to FT!
Old May 25, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.........send an email thru a contact link with my passport/id and ask them to change it. It can take all the way up to 30 days..............
Sounds pretty normal to me although 30 days is a little long.

................I need to book a flight for August, and prices are already going up. I plan to use my bonus miles from the card, so, can I just select "I'm not travelling" when making the reservation and then put the correct info on the ticket? Will I run into any issue?........
No issue. You can add your Skymiles number later after name change. Your flight is not until August, you have plenty of time.
Old May 25, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Name changes are a process because of the significant fraud potential. As with many time ranges, customer service estimates are generally much longer than the reality.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It seems to me that you could book a ticket under your current Sky Miles profile, with the incorrect name, and then ask Delta to correct your name in both your profile and also on your ticket when you send in the name request.

You can't be the first person to request a name change who also has outstanding tickets so I have to believe this is part of the SOP. I'm rather certain that people who get married and change names often already have honeymoon tickets booked, for example.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Hey - all OP has to do is book the ticket with the correct name, right? A SkyMiles member can spend their miles on anyone's ticket. Why wait?
Old May 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
Hey - all OP has to do is book the ticket with the correct name, right? A SkyMiles member can spend their miles on anyone's ticket. Why wait?

In any event, the ticket will have to be corrected after the name is correct in DL's system so that it is attached to OP's account. This is why I think OP should go ahead and book with current incorrect name under the current profile. I am guessing that the ticket will be automatically corrected upon the name change request being granted.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It seems to me that you could book a ticket under your current Sky Miles profile, with the incorrect name, and then ask Delta to correct your name in both your profile and also on your ticket when you send in the name request.

You can't be the first person to request a name change who also has outstanding tickets so I have to believe this is part of the SOP. I'm rather certain that people who get married and change names often already have honeymoon tickets booked, for example.
OT but there are reports of people having trouble with tickets if they change their names upon marriage. Ticket names cannot be changed and your travel documents on the day you travel need to match the name on the ticket. In reality, this can mean traveling under the maiden name for the honeymoon as who has the time or desire to change the passport (or driver's license) between the wedding and the time one leaves for the honeymoon, even if it were feasible to do this quickly. (Excuse me while I leave the reception to go to DMV....)
Old May 25, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
. Ticket names cannot be changed
Yes, they can, to correct a mistake or for a name change, following the proper procedures. Tickets cannot be transferred, but that's another issue. To correct a name, the ticket needs to be reissued.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...on-policy.html
Old May 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I had a similar, but not quite the same, problem a year ago. I booked a revenue flight for a minor family member and his mom. I used the bane we all call him, which I thought to be his legal name. We decided to create him a skymiles account after booking. His legal name, used to create his SM account, and the name I used on ticket were slightly off. I called and they were able to correct the ticket without problem at no additional cost.

I've also seen where AFKL will add MR/MS/MRS to ones last name on the reservation but it's never caused a problem with TSA or Delta.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Hello everyone! I have a SkyMiles account with a bonus from an AMEX Delta Gold, so I'd like to book a flight for August.

Thanks!
James.
Step 1) Book your ticket, now, with the correct name on the ticket.

Step 2) Begin the process of correcting the name on the SkyMiles account. If this takes 30+ days, it does not matter since the flight won't attempt to post to the Sky miles account until August. Flights only credit to a SkyMiles account once you've flown them. By the time you travel, your SkyMiles account will match your ticket (which you never changed because the ticket was originally booked with the correct name) and since the names now match the flights will post just fine.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, they can, to correct a mistake or for a name change, following the proper procedures. Tickets cannot be transferred, but that's another issue. To correct a name, the ticket needs to be reissued.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...on-policy.html
They might refuse since there was no reason to book it incorrectly to begin with.

OP simply needs to book it under his correct name. If on off chance the name isn't fixed before he flies, once it is he can request credit for any flights that didn't post.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
It's only anecdotal, but I have booked tickets with every combination of First Middle Last, F. Middle Last, FM Last, Middle Last, and Middle F. Last, on a variety of airlines and I've never been questioned in checking in, boarding, or at security. In fact, I flew on EY recently with only Middle Last and no one said a word. Maybe I've just always been lucky, and I think I've finally resolved the name changes so they are all consistently FIRST MIDDLE LAST, but I've definitely never had issues.

But try to get miles for a ticket where the ticket name and account name don't match, and then you'll find trouble. And yes, they do suggest fax machines. Fax machines?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by paterwdb
It's only anecdotal, but I have booked tickets with every combination of First Middle Last, F. Middle Last, FM Last, Middle Last, and Middle F. Last, on a variety of airlines and I've never been questioned in checking in, boarding, or at security. In fact, I flew on EY recently with only Middle Last and no one said a word. Maybe I've just always been lucky, and I think I've finally resolved the name changes so they are all consistently FIRST MIDDLE LAST, but I've definitely never had issues.

But try to get miles for a ticket where the ticket name and account name don't match, and then you'll find trouble. And yes, they do suggest fax machines. Fax machines?
OP problem is that name is spelled incorrectly on SM account. His isn't problem with only one name showing up.

Also, FWIW, a middle name is technically considered another first or given name. Its why theres no issues with only one showing up or both showing up joined together.

As for last part, once account name is fixed can get credit. No different from forgetting the number to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.