Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Sent To Wrong Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mot29
My last misdirected bag was before scanning - my bag to LIM (Lima) went to ILM (Wilmington). Was tagged correctly. Arrived on the next night's flight and was at my hotel when I woke up.
I did get an upgrade to business class on the flight. Maybe that's why the bag was sent to
I cannot recall ever having a misdirected bag. I have had bags that missed their connection, I have had bags that simply were not loaded, and I had a bag thrown onto a carousel at a connection point (SEA). In the last case, by the time the baggage crew picked it off the carousel it had missed its flight to FAI.

Back in the day, ASA was really good at leaving bags behind.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
@DCAFly — did you not see (or comprehend) that OP explicitly mentioned spending ~$100 for replacement clothing?
Yes I saw that. Did you not see or comprehend that my post was hypothetical? Though I meant to say "What if" at the start of my message ("what is" was a typo) - I was just wondering what Delta would do if someone had to go out and spend a lot of money on clothes because of the misdirected bag. You could easily rack up hundreds of dollars in justifiable costs if you were left without work clothes for a few days.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:41 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I was once flying LAX-PDX and the check-in agent tagged my bag to PHX. I caught it before it rolled down the belt and out of sight.
I recently flew BOS-LHR-XXX (same airline and ticket) and the agent insisted that I'd have to collect and recheck my bag at LHR, and get my next boarding pass there too as the computer wouldn't give it to her.

Turns out that she was reprinting the bag tag and boarding pass of the previous passenger, which I only noticed after she handed them to me.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Yes I saw that. Did you not see or comprehend that my post was hypothetical? Though I meant to say "What if" at the start of my message ("what is" was a typo) - I was just wondering what Delta would do if someone had to go out and spend a lot of money on clothes because of the misdirected bag. You could easily rack up hundreds of dollars in justifiable costs if you were left without work clothes for a few days.
I'm not arguing the validity of your hypothetical; it just didn't seem particularly relevant to OP's stated situation

my only similar experience was on UA -- my wife and I took an early morning LAX-SEA flight; we were attending a wedding that evening, and the checked bag with our good clothes didn't arrive ... we spent an hour or so at the downtown Nordstrom, submitted receipts for probably $250 apiece, and received a check for the full amount within a couple weeks, no questions asked

before anyone starts with the "shouldn't have checked it" lectures, the trip was about a month before we moved back to Seattle from SoCal; our carry-on allowance got eaten up by stuff that we didn't want to risk UA or movers mishandling, plus our cat that we were bringing along to leave with her parents for the interim (there's a whole 'nother story about THAT misadventure ...)

ok, back on topic ...
Old May 23, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by mot29
My last misdirected bag was before scanning - my bag to LIM (Lima) went to ILM (Wilmington). Was tagged correctly. Arrived on the next night's flight and was at my hotel when I woke up.
I did get an upgrade to business class on the flight. Maybe that's why the bag was sent to
I briefly worked for Midway Airlines (JI, the second incarnation) that was based at RDU. We had ATA do our ground handling at EWR. They also flew to Chicago MDW from EWR (see where this is going...). One night in RDU we open up a 737 from EWR and it's full of not only bags in the wrong city, but bags on the wrong airline. I suppose that conversation went something like this:

Ramp Lead to new guy: "Go get the Midway bags".
New guy to the bagroom: "Hook me up with the Midway bags".
Bags for Midway airport were given instead of Midway airlines...and nobody caught it.

Since ATA didn't even fly to RDU and JI didn't fly to MDW, we took the 737 load of MDW bags to WN. They were kind enough to put them on their next flight, and we called ATA@MDW and let them know. It's hard to believe, but stuff like this happens. Even with Tech, people still do dumb things.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Widgets

It’s possible if they have someone else’s reservation pulled up.
or went to the wrong printer & grabbed the wrong IATA bag tag.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by MNvikesNM
Still curious as to why DL's scanners let them load the bag onto the wrong flight. Unless for some reason they chucked the bag onto the plane without scanning it and scanned it on arrival. No idea how their system works, so just pure speculation....Good job DL!
The bar codes on the bag tags help to convey the bags to the appropriate ‘make up’ area or carousel. Any given make up carousel feeds 4-8 flights. Workers pull bags from that carousel & onto the proper bag cart. An error there is plausible. That’s a manual process & by then the bags are already scanned for the last time until they land at the next city. (Some carriers have scanners on their ramp vehicles to catch such an error but that’s not widespread yet.). At the arrival city, bags often go through an inbound scanner on their way to the carousel & it’s possible that’s where it was first discovered. Any chance you could post a screenshot from delta.com of your bag’s journey? It should detail how often it got seen by scanners & tracked...
Old May 24, 2019, 4:52 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
My recent LAX-AMS-CDG flight diverted over the US to ATL. I rebooked via phone as we landed ATL-CDG directly. We told the gate agent to make note of the new reservation and to pull the bags since I wasn't sure what was going to happen to the diverted original flight.

Got to CDG, no bags (AF wasn't so nice but eventually got us a claim). No info ever given, no updates on the online system. Had two nice shopping days in Paris. Bags arrived to the hotel (I kind of wanted another day of shopping LOL). Submitted the claim, got a call about 45 minutes later and they reimbursed the large claim (two people, though we did buy only onsite items at ), no questions asked. I don't think we got any miles for the lost bags (got some for the diversion, plus a ATL hotel reimbursement)

I was a little shocked that there was no info about where the bags were, since they should be scanning them at some point, like offloading at ATL, since I believe the flight got a new plane 6 hours later, and needed to reload onto another DL flight, if it just followed the original routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.