Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Non-stop MSP-ICN, now rebooked thru DTW...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

We booked the new non-stop flight from MSP-ICN on Jan 10th. Got an email today they rebooked us with a connection to DTW....I checked the there is no non-stop flight from MSP-ICN on Jan 10 or Jan 11 - those are the only 2 days of the year there is not a non-stop flight. Is this just a computer glitch? I called Delta and they just said there is non flight that day and do I want the DTW connection. I imagine (hoping) that this was a computer glitch and they will reinstate this flight that day, but of course, they will not put us back on that flight and will instead keep us on the connecting one. We got good seats too - bulkhead premium select. This happened once before to a MSP-TYS flight that mysteriously vanished and then reappeared 2 months later by which they put me on a connecting flight to ATL. I hate these Saturday updates on Delta!!
Old May 18, 2019, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
We booked the new non-stop flight from MSP-ICN on Jan 10th. Got an email today they rebooked us with a connection to DTW....I checked the there is no non-stop flight from MSP-ICN on Jan 10 or Jan 11 - those are the only 2 days of the year there is not a non-stop flight. Is this just a computer glitch? I called Delta and they just said there is non flight that day and do I want the DTW connection. I imagine (hoping) that this was a computer glitch and they will reinstate this flight that day, but of course, they will not put us back on that flight and will instead keep us on the connecting one. We got good seats too - bulkhead premium select. This happened once before to a MSP-TYS flight that mysteriously vanished and then reappeared 2 months later by which they put me on a connecting flight to ATL. I hate these Saturday updates on Delta!!
They may know from experience that that is a slow weekend (though a quick Google for "holidays in Korea" didn't turn anything up, but that's the sort of thing I mean) and that's why there is no non-stop those 2 days out of the entire year.

Or it could just be a temporary Saturday glitch. Your options are something like:

1. cancel for full refund
2. call back and propose an alternate routing of your choice (anything in reason should be accommodated, and even some things not necessarily within reason depending on how you ask and the agent you get)
3. do nothing, wait and see what happens
3a. if the non-stop comes back you have a really strong case for getting put back on it since that's what you booked originally
3b. otherwise (1) and (2) should still be on the table even at a later date
xiphoid76 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Called and they said they could move us a day earlier...the connecting flight has only a 39 minute connection in DTW which we don't want. I think we will move to a day before now and then watch and see when they put that flight back on the schedule. I can't imagine there would only be two days of the year that they would not have this non-stop flight.
Problem is when they put that flight back on, if we don't catch it early enough, we won't get the good seats we had.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL frequently does schedule reductions around holidays and for slow winter travel months. Far more likely there will be additional reductions (on this, and other routes), than they will restore flights on those dates.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Also, Saturday is schedule change day. It's possible the flight could be back tomorrow with an equipment change or something of that nature.
xiphoid76 likes this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; May 18, 2019 at 10:51 pm
Old May 18, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Around the time of the CES in Las Vegas. Could DL be using the planes to operate ICN-LAS as they have in past years?
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by mot29
Around the time of the CES in Las Vegas. Could DL be using the planes to operate ICN-LAS as they have in past years?
This would be my guess as well, as CES ends 01/10/2020.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
This would be my guess as well, as CES ends 01/10/2020.
Was just about to post this as well. Very likely MSP-ICN is becoming LAS-ICN or even LAS-NRT for a few days.
FlyBitcoin and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You also could do nothing and wait and see what else happens the next couple of months -- there is no reason you have to cash in your schedule change chip now
Old May 18, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
wow, never thought about that at all - that makes sense though. We decided to go to DTW the night before and then sleep at the Westin and go on the newly booked ICN flight. It prevents a 39 minute connection or waking up at 3:30 am to catch our flight. Also prevents having to take another day off work. Actually we now get to start vacation a little early and we love the Westin at DTW. Plus we were able to get the bulkhead premium select seats we wanted for the ICN flight.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Glad you made the change and did not stick with a connection you don't want. It's CES and that will not be cancelled. They have a track record of knowing those one-off CES TPAC nonstops make an insane amount of revenue.

IIRC, even ATL-PVG lost a couple of frequencies in January for CES.
One day it was gone. Another day it went ATL-LAS-PVG and they didn't even price out the entire flight. Just the ATL-LAS portion for ATL originating passengers.

And yes, agree 100% on the Premium Select bulkhead seats. Doing those ATL-NRT this winter.
xiphoid76 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
wow, never thought about that at all - that makes sense though. We decided to go to DTW the night before and then sleep at the Westin and go on the newly booked ICN flight. It prevents a 39 minute connection or waking up at 3:30 am to catch our flight. Also prevents having to take another day off work. Actually we now get to start vacation a little early and we love the Westin at DTW. Plus we were able to get the bulkhead premium select seats we wanted for the ICN flight.
Ain't it great when things work out?!?! CES just ripples into hotels and airfare and car rental like ocean waves, it ramps up before the last one ends! Glad it turned out well and you can start your holiday even earlier!
xiphoid76 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by daloosh
Ain't it great when things work out?!?! CES just ripples into hotels and airfare and car rental like ocean waves, it ramps up before the last one ends! Glad it turned out well and you can start your holiday even earlier!
Two years ago I was able to get a great D1 fare for the positioning flights LAS-ICN-LAS on a new 350. Like $1900 rt. Last year I didn’t see anything like that; I expect that as DL has increased service to ICN they’ve figured out ways to build the CES specials into the schedule and not have to run positioning flights at good fares.
As I recall D1 was had lots of non-revs taking advantage of the unusual flights and the chance to check out the 350. It was very cold in Seoul, but still a fun trip.
daloosh and xiphoid76 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.