Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 11:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nonrevs clear after all paid passengers are taken care of.
On oversold situations, which i don't think the OP is referring to.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
AF sometimes offers buyups to Business at the gate. The price varies and also depends on the original fare you purchased. I once was able to pay $318 to upgrade from PE to Business on a MSP-CDG flight. I have also upgraded from PE to Business for 25K SkyMiles. You have to call DL or AF (which is DL if you call from the US) to do that; it’s not always available.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
On oversold situations, which i don't think the OP is referring to.
No, nonrevs clear after all revenue pax have boarded on all flights, regardless if it is oversold or not. Nonrevs (aside from those flying space positive, who I think just board with their zone) are assigned to whatever open seats are left after all other pax have boarded. They will first be given any open premium seats, and then coach seats.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Recurve
OPUP is Operational Upgrade, It basically means if you are in a cabin that is oversold and they can't convince people to VDB then they will upgrade you to J to give your W/Y seat to another passenger.
Minor nit to pick here, generally if Y is oversold and J has empty seats, they'll try op-ups before VDB.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No, nonrevs clear after all revenue pax have boarded on all flights, regardless if it is oversold or not. Nonrevs (aside from those flying space positive, who I think just board with their zone) are assigned to whatever open seats are left after all other pax have boarded. They will first be given any open premium seats, and then coach seats.
Perhaps my comment was not clear.

OP is asking for chances for an upgrade, but doesn't have any instruments so basically is hoping for a freebie. In this situation, DL/AF will fill the front cabin with Nonrevs before upgrading passengers with no upgrade instruments.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

OP is asking for chances for an upgrade, but doesn't have any instruments so basically is hoping for a freebie. In this situation, DL/AF will fill the front cabin with Nonrevs before upgrading passengers with no upgrade instruments.

I think what was being replied to is being confused. SDQ commented they wouldn't do upgrades because Nonrevs would fill the cabin. Nonrevs only get given a seat once all paid passengers are taken care of. If Y is oversold, Y passengers will be upgraded to D1 before a nonrevs is given that seat. Basically nonrevs have nothing to do with a passenger getting upgraded.
jdrtravel and SDQBound like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:53 am

I don't think that's actually accurate.

In a normal situation, where there's no oversell, nonrevs will clear into J until it's full then into Y. Nobody without an instrument will get an upgrade, even if there are zero non-revs.

In an oversell situation (where Y is oversold but J isn't) then revenue passengers will get op-uped to J until all Y revenue passengers have been accomodated. If there are any remaining J seats at that time, then non-revs will be cleared into them.
MSPeconomist and SDQBound like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I don't think that's actually accurate.

In a normal situation, where there's no oversell, nonrevs will clear into J until it's full then into Y. Nobody without an instrument will get an upgrade, even if there are zero non-revs.

In an oversell situation (where Y is oversold but J isn't) then revenue passengers will get op-uped to J until all Y revenue passengers have been accomodated. If there are any remaining J seats at that time, then non-revs will be cleared into them.
This is what I meant to say. Perhaps I should have said "...and will not upgrade passengers with no upgrade instruments."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.