Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

‘We fly more Boeing airplanes ... and we look forward to flying more’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Marketplace from APM has a wide ranging interview with Ed Bastian in their Corner Office podcast feed. Nothing especially noteworthy, but a couple interesting nuggets.

Link: https://www.marketplace.org/shows/co...ig-on-airports

In response to a question about the Boeing MAX debacle, Bastian voiced strong support for Boeing and its planes. He pointed out that Boeing flies more Boeing planes than any other manufacturer and “look forward to flying more in the future.” Given all the teeth gnashing about whether Delta will buy another Boeing, I thought it was interesting.

The other interesting ting thing he talked about was that by 2024, Delta will have 30 gates at LAX. He said before the move to T2/3, they had just 15. Currently, there are 21 gates at T2/3, so will be interesting to see how the balance materialize.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
That was a good "non-response" answer. Delta had been flying a lot of Boeings for awhile, now they're buying a lot of Airbuses. If Boeing can get its act together and make a good business case, Delta will buy more Boeings. Airlines need to have good relationships with pretty much every manufacturer out there: a competitive market is good for aircraft purchasing. What I'm reading into it is that as long as Delta flies airplanes, Delta will be buying airplanes and that Boeing will be one of the manufacturers under consideration.
The other aspect to this is that he's quietly warning Airbus not to take Delta's business for granted. Yes, Delta and Airbus have a great thing going right now, but Delta will act in Delta's best interests.
strickerj, NobleHouse and Ldnn1 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Marketplace from APM has a wide ranging interview with Ed Bastian in their Corner Office podcast feed. Nothing especially noteworthy, but a couple interesting nuggets.

Link: https://www.marketplace.org/shows/co...ig-on-airports

In response to a question about the Boeing MAX debacle, Bastian voiced strong support for Boeing and its planes. He pointed out that Boeing flies more Boeing planes than any other manufacturer and “look forward to flying more in the future.” Given all the teeth gnashing about whether Delta will buy another Boeing, I thought it was interesting.

The other interesting ting thing he talked about was that by 2024, Delta will have 30 gates at LAX. He said before the move to T2/3, they had just 15. Currently, there are 21 gates at T2/3, so will be interesting to see how the balance materialize.

It really only makes sense to say that, as there are only 2 practical companies to buy larger planes from. No point to needlessly antagonize one of them. Boeing picked the fight over the C-Series not Delta. Even if EB has no plans to buy from Boeing, keeping them as an option is still the best way to get better discounts from Airbus.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I think you need to look at when the Airbus purchases were made. I believe all of the Airbus orders were finalized under Richard Anderson. Ed may not be as much of an Airbus fan as Rich.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
I think you need to look at when the Airbus purchases were made. I believe all of the Airbus orders were finalized under Richard Anderson. Ed may not be as much of an Airbus fan as Rich.
I hope (and believe) that a company as large and successful as Delta isn't making any decisions of this scale based on what company the CEO is a fan of.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
I thought the A321neo order wasn't finalized until December 2017?
Old May 16, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by SamOF
I hope (and believe) that a company as large and successful as Delta isn't making any decisions of this scale based on what company the CEO is a fan of.
Yes, but it is not unlikely that different CEOs have different perspectives on priorities. That could include cost focus, customer comfort focus (which, let's be clear, in the narrowbody market is a clear nod to Airbus), ease of doing business focus, and so on. Cost ultimately is the single most important driver of course, but secondary factors may have different degrees of consideration depending on the CEO or the strategy direction of the airline.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The fact of the matter is, and as much as I'm a fan of Boeing airplanes and especially the 787, the planes Delta is buying from Airbus are better planes from a passenger perspective, at least sitting in coach. I currently will book on an Airbus over a similar Boeing now if times/schedules/connection cities allow. The Airbus narrow bodies have 18"+ seats (18.7" on the A220!) while it's only 17" on the 739. The wide bodies are also minimum 18" where the 787 operators are going 17" and squeezing in 3-3-3. The A350, A330-900 and A333/332 are fantastic planes from a customer's perspective. I'm just glad Delta didn't go the route of AA/UA with 3-4-3 in the 777 remake.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ethernal
Yes, but it is not unlikely that different CEOs have different perspectives on priorities. That could include cost focus, customer comfort focus (which, let's be clear, in the narrowbody market is a clear nod to Airbus), ease of doing business focus, and so on. Cost ultimately is the single most important driver of course, but secondary factors may have different degrees of consideration depending on the CEO or the strategy direction of the airline.
Oh, absolutely. I was interpreting "fan" as more like "If it ain't boeing I'm not going" fanboy-dom. If by fan it means considered preference of one companies' product/pricing/terms, that's very different.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Originally Posted by SamOF
Oh, absolutely. I was interpreting "fan" as more like "If it ain't boeing I'm not going" fanboy-dom. If by fan it means considered preference of one companies' product/pricing/terms, that's very different.
I did intend "fan" to mean preference. Certainly not a "boeing-ain't going" person.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
...He pointed out that Boeing flies more Boeing planes than any other manufacturer...
Can't argue with that.

Sorry to nitpick.

Anyway I agree with other posters about why say anything negative about Boeing, both for negotiations with Airbus plus they don't want to stir up public mistrust of the Boeing aircraft Delta does fly.
strickerj and windscar like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM
I was hoping that Kai was going to ask Ed about Delta's current stance on the Export-Import Bank and perhaps the C1000/A220 shenanigans as a follow-on to the Boeing fleet question.

Also, an update on the refinery in PA would have been interesting.

I was surprised that Ed was so forthcoming about Delta's APAC strategy, sounds like the region accounts for less than 20% of annual revenue and it's not an area for which they're looking to expand necessarily.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
... The other interesting ting thing he talked about was that by 2024, Delta will have 30 gates at LAX. He said before the move to T2/3, they had just 15. Currently, there are 21 gates at T2/3, so will be interesting to see how the balance materialize.
The renovated T2/3 will have 27 gates. I guess he is also counting on a few at Bradley, but not certain how that plays out as still have gate shifting by others with the MFC opening (and I assume the closure of the Nest).

Would be nice if it actually happens early (one article a while back said 2021 was possible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.