Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Md-88 atl <> yyz

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:41 am

The only saving grace about the Mad Dogs are the 2 exit row seats without seats in front of them (26A and 26E IIRC). Other than that, won't miss them!

I'm no AvGeek but perhaps they fly out of ATL disproportionately is because the DL maintenance hub is there so reliability is less of a concern??
Old May 20, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I suspect a good part of keeping the Mad Dog house in ATL is that the planes are the right size to consolidate old regional jet routes and reduce problematic airspace congestion at a mega hub
Old May 20, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by woodje12
I'm no AvGeek but perhaps they fly out of ATL disproportionately is because the DL maintenance hub is there so reliability is less of a concern??
Well, part of it is that they aren't available for use out of SLC under normal conditions.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:08 pm

Love the Mad Dog...

...Especially in Row 1 where it’s so very quiet.

They seem plenty clean to me.
indufan, pgh234 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Another MD-88 incident:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...614Z/KATL/KBWI
engine fire
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by lindros2
Another MD-88 incident:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...614Z/KATL/KBWI
engine fire
There's a whole other thread specifically about that?

A Delta flight was forced to make an emergency landing after an engine failure
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by dcadwell
There's a whole other thread specifically about that?

A Delta flight was forced to make an emergency landing after an engine failure
My response was "why is Delta still using these on the YYZ route". Which persists today. As I was on a flight to YYZ. Same old ricketty fire-prone MD.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
My response was "why is Delta still using these on the YYZ route". Which persists today. As I was on a flight to YYZ. Same old ricketty fire-prone MD.
I guess the question is why would DL not be using them to YYZ? It’s as good a route as any for an MD-88...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
I guess the question is why would DL not be using them to YYZ? It’s as good a route as any for an MD-88...
Seriously. ATL-YYZ is 20 miles less than ATL-JFK - we're not talking long-haul here. It's no different than ATL-SYR (also operated via MD-88s) or similar.

Maybe if DL was still operating MSP-MIA or ATL-PUJ like the olden-days I could see your point.

lindros2 seems to take this flight a lot. Do you like the frequency? Because if you do, then say thank you to the MD-88. Switching to an A321 (as an example) would probably mean cutting the flights from 7 to 4 (2 from straight capacity reduction, 1 from demand reduction as a result of leakage from connecting schedule competitiveness).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:10 pm

Fire-prone? Getting a bit worked up over a engine failure that could happen on any aircraft, aren't we.
pgh234 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:25 am

Much quieter than 737's, unless your in the back (and then, much louder).
5 across seating, so only one side of the aisle even has a middle seat to get stuck in.
No in flight entertainment, but every one I've been on was less than 90 minute flight. And they do have WIFI w/ movies available.
I've gone from Seattle to Memphis about 20 times in the last 12 months, most of those flights were a 737 or 757 at the Seattle end and MD-88, MD-90 or 717 on the Memphis end (connecting through MSP, LAX, ATL or DTW, I like changing scenery), I've been late or stuck pretty equal number of times each way, haven't noticed any difference based on model of plane.
I prefer the smaller planes, just cause they are quieter.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I surmise that any future MD-88 incidents will be re-posted here to reinforce the fact that the OP still does not like them on his or her frequented ATL-YYZ route.
cerealmarketer and AANYC1981 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.