Wiki Posts
Search

TPAC itinerary buy-up offers

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
TPAC itinerary buy-up offers

My trips to Asia now require intra-Asia segments on either CI or KE since DL axed TPE. With that, I cannot find a consistent pattern on availability of TPAC segment buy-up offers (to either D1 or PS), and I don't know if that's due to aircraft or fare class. For example, I have seen buy-up offers when traveling on 4-class 777 but not on 359 even on both flights the lowest fare class (G/Z) is available. Another trip I have seen buy-up offer when the lowest PS fare class G is available but not on the other flight when the lowest PS fare class is A.

I assume buy-up offers shall be always available when all segments of trip are DL-coded, but not when partner flights are involved. Any thoughts?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assume you are talking about the FCM offers? While they are consistently offered domestic flights these days (although I've seen them go away on flights when FC starts getting close to full), I don't believe there is yet any consistency in offering them on international routes and there is really no way to predict whether they will be offered or not. I'm pretty certain that, as you noted, flights must be both DL marketed and operated to qualify for FCM offers.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hsnu84053
With that, I cannot find a consistent pattern on availability of TPAC segment buy-up offers (to either D1 or PS), and I don't know if that's due to aircraft or fare class.
That's the whole point - it's supposed to seem "random." They don't want to dilute the pricing for their premium cabins by allowing people to always expect a discounted buy up or by establishing any pattern.

In reality, the only pattern is the buy up is offered at a discount when DL's algorithms think they otherwise won't sell the seat on that particular flight for a higher fare.
hsnu84053 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Have you tried just pricing C straight up on either ci website or via a third party site?

I know in the past DL often could not sell the cheapest fares on CI.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by hsnu84053
I assume buy-up offers shall be always available
This is exactly what DL doesn't want - for a customer to assume a buy up (other than the fare difference) will ALWAYS be available
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I have traveled to Asia about 5 times in the past 6 months and never got an offer.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
That's the whole point - it's supposed to seem "random." They don't want to dilute the pricing for their premium cabins by allowing people to always expect a discounted buy up or by establishing any pattern.

In reality, the only pattern is the buy up is offered at a discount when DL's algorithms think they otherwise won't sell the seat on that particular flight for a higher fare.

Hmm, I'm not sure this is true anymore. The domestic "offers" are not really anything special anymore and are often more expensive than paying the fare difference to F. And they are now almost always available. Perhaps this is still somewhat true for international, but it seems like DL is quickly moving in the direction of making buy-ups available online. Upgrade offers during check in would be a different story and more akin to what you describe here.
hsnu84053 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hmm, I'm not sure this is true anymore. The domestic "offers" are not really anything special anymore and are often more expensive than paying the fare difference to F. And they are now almost always available. Perhaps this is still somewhat true for international, but it seems like DL is quickly moving in the direction of making buy-ups available online. Upgrade offers during check in would be a different story and more akin to what you describe here.
Yes, but I think the OP is referring to cases where the PS fare at booking is 2x the main cabin fare, but it offers a "special" buy up for $299 one way or something.

The F offers you're talking about are always around the fare difference, and aren't usually anything special. If they program the same for transpac, it would be more readily available and likely increase prices.

I think the OP is talking about $299 PS buy ups and $699 Delta One buy ups that are only when it works in Delta's (anticipated) favor.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

I saw this in the current (May) SkyMiles Magazine. I was intrigued because this seemed inconsistent with the principal discussed on this thread and others about Delta protecting its international D1 price points. Does anyone have experience using miles to upgrade on TPAC flights? Is there value to be had here?
Old May 2, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ProfRB

I saw this in the current (May) SkyMiles Magazine. I was intrigued because this seemed inconsistent with the principal discussed on this thread and others about Delta protecting its international D1 price points. Does anyone have experience using miles to upgrade on TPAC flights? Is there value to be had here?
Mileage upgrades for TPAC are still alive and well; they’re just inventory controlled and may not be available on all flights. LAX-PVG is probably the easiest TPAC route for D1 upgrades right now.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB
Not really inconsistent because what they are advocating in the magazine is either the cash fare difference as an upgrade, or to use a boatload of miles to secure the upgrade.

There can be some value on upgrading with miles, but each person's perspective on the relative value is varied. Generally, these offers start at 45,000 miles one way, if mileage upgrade availability exists, and this price is usually for high main cabin fares or any Premium Select fare.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Mileage upgrades for TPAC are still alive and well; they’re just inventory controlled and may not be available on all flights. LAX-PVG is probably the easiest TPAC route for D1 upgrades right now.
Are they (LAX-PVG) available at time of purchase, and for how many miles?

I stopped playing the miles upgrade game years ago when DL made it almost impossible. But always interested in whatever works.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Are they (LAX-PVG) available at time of purchase, and for how many miles?

I stopped playing the miles upgrade game years ago when DL made it almost impossible. But always interested in whatever works.
Highly recommend the Mileage Upgrade Award wiki/thread, but 70k for K class and above, 45k for Y/B/M, and 45k for Premium Select.

I paid $700 for a RT premium select fare on this route, so would suggest looking out for good deals there. You cannot clear at booking but you can immediately after — and you can exercise your 24hr cancellation period if something goes wrong. I would suggest working through dates with a rep before you book to find availability.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
I would suggest working through dates with a rep before you book to find availability.
This. Since you can't search for upgrade inventory online (for these type of upgrades) it's best to just call to try to book the flight so the one agent can do it all at once. I suggest looking online to get a sense of the routing and time options that are available, and make sure that the agent checks all of them to see if there is availability.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:54 pm

Thanks dl and jd.

I had no idea the DL PS fares were that cheap. Even at the easily found $1200 or so, that plus 90K miles is a good price. Plus, I could survive PS on the return (eastbbond) if I had to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.