Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to WestJet connection in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by itravelalot
Thanks.

It's kind of crappy that Delta and WestJet haven't finely tuned the benefits, as Delta has done with Aeroméxico.

For the sake of discussion, is there actually a policy that WestJet waives bag fees? I ask because on the return when I check-in for the first segment, operated by WestJet, I don't want to get into a fight at 5 a.m. at an airport terminal counter with an agent.

I'll have to call WestJet and Delta to ask if there's a paid upgrade. I would be willing to pay $30 or something for the extra-legroom seats on WestJet.
Sorry, can't point to a written policy. However when they ask about paying, I simply point out in a DL elite. They may or may not ask to see digital card. Either way they then waive the fee.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I flew back into YYZ last week and there's no need to collect your luggage now if you're connecting to a Westjet flight. You still need to collect if you're connecting to Air Canada.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I flew back into YYZ last week and there's no need to collect your luggage now if you're connecting to a Westjet flight. You still need to collect if you're connecting to Air Canada.
Are you sure? Last visit bags transferred WS to WS. However they didn't transfer if coming in on OAL. Agents said it was a common mistake lots made assuming ot transferred. This in part due to announcements overhead, advising bags transferred. (It did say only WS/WS if you listened the whole way)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
There are no published benefits that are reciprocal between the carriers according to an emailed response I recently received from a WestJet lead in guest relations (other than the posted mileage earn/redeem rates).

In practice, I've found most major stations will allow DL Gold or higher to use WestJet's premium check in (which given the carriers consistent issues with reservation glitches, manual check-in needed etc, this can be a life saver).

Several folks on here have reported no checked bag fees when there is a DL segment or DL coded flight in the itinerary, which had been consistent with my own experiences.

​​​​​Certainly when fying DL:WS on same itinerary then your Medallion baggage benefits would apply - through to your final destination - per normal policy of the originating station. I doubt it if flying wholly within Canada on a WS issued ticket however.

There are no preferred seating benefits, no waiver on the charges, no upgrades.

Connecting in YYZ has become easier more recently for transborder to domestic, though delays, ATC, etc are another story.

Try to get your WestJet PNR if you're interested in scoring a potential cheap upgrade to Plus 24 hours out through OLCI.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by itravelalot
I'd be flying Toronto to Halifax (and vice versa). I can't imagine it's worth paying more than $50 for the up-front seating, whatever WestJet calls it? It's not like a meal is served.
Free food and beverage is included with WestJet Premium, including hot meals dependant on route and time of day, and decent free bar selection, Prosecco etc.

By the time the last of the new seat upgrades is completed, WestJet Premium will essentially be aligned with US carriers First Class.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you sure? Last visit bags transferred WS to WS. However they didn't transfer if coming in on OAL. Agents said it was a common mistake lots made assuming ot transferred. This in part due to announcements overhead, advising bags transferred. (It did say only WS/WS if you listened the whole way)
I believe all checked bags automatically transfer now at YYZ just like with Air Canada.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

I believe all checked bags automatically transfer now at YYZ just like with Air Canada.
Look forward to it on my next trip up to Canada.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Has anyone connected DL to WS at YYZ lately? Have things improved at all since the partnership was enhanced or do bags still need to be claimed and re-checked? Delta is offering a 80 minute connection to a domestic WS flight that is the only flight of the day. Seems really dicey and also the only option they're selling.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Has anyone connected DL to WS at YYZ lately? Have things improved at all since the partnership was enhanced or do bags still need to be claimed and re-checked? Delta is offering a 80 minute connection to a domestic WS flight that is the only flight of the day. Seems really dicey and also the only option they're selling.
I arrived at YYZ on DL just a few hours ago. An agent came onboard and said WS connections did NOT need to claim bags as long as it is a same day connection. 80 minutes sounds tight but doable. Customs was very busy but lines moved relatively quickly. Toronto is the most delayed airport in the world these days but Delta ops seem insulated from the domestic mess.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NHFL9
You'll need to collect bags and drop with WS, just like do when entering US (from non preclearance airports). There is a WS recheck belt just outside customs. No need to go to checkin for WS. However you still need to goto checkin area to clear security and get to domestic flight gate. This has nothing to do with partnership, rather the layout of YYZ T3 is issue.Its just not setup for easy connections.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I arrived at YYZ on DL just a few hours ago. An agent came onboard and said WS connections did NOT need to claim bags as long as it is a same day connection. 80 minutes sounds tight but doable. Customs was very busy but lines moved relatively quickly. Toronto is the most delayed airport in the world these days but Delta ops seem insulated from the domestic mess.
Thanks! Beyond helpful!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I arrived at YYZ on DL just a few hours ago. An agent came onboard and said WS connections did NOT need to claim bags as long as it is a same day connection.
I went through there last month and the same thing. There were signs saying that DL to WS did not need to claim bags.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Paplover
I went through there last month and the same thing. There were signs saying that DL to WS did not need to claim bags.
Glad to hear they finally got working. For awhile the signs were up, but you were still being required to collect and drop. It really wasn't a big issue anyway sibce WS had recheck belt just outside customs. Plus fact have to go upstairs to checkin area to get to gate anyway. T3 @ YYZ really needs some easy path for those connecting passengers. There's one for domestic to transborder, but no other.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm planning a trip where I want to fly one way out to St. John's, Newfoundland (YYT) and then work my way back to Cleveland via bus, ferry, more buses, and then an overnight sleeper on the VIA Rail "Ocean", followed by two Amtrak segments (Montreal-Schenectady and Schenectady-Cleveland).

Delta is currently marketing a one-way fare of $296.40 CLE-ATL-YYZ-YYT for the date I want in early September, with 84 minutes of scheduled layover at YYZ.

Anybody have any current experiences to share on the Delta to Westjet connection at Toronto? This will be my first trip ever through YYZ, the last major international airport in North America that I have yet to visit.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ND76
I'm planning a trip where I want to fly one way out to St. John's, Newfoundland (YYT) and then work my way back to Cleveland via bus, ferry, more buses, and then an overnight sleeper on the VIA Rail "Ocean", followed by two Amtrak segments (Montreal-Schenectady and Schenectady-Cleveland).

Delta is currently marketing a one-way fare of $296.40 CLE-ATL-YYZ-YYT for the date I want in early September, with 84 minutes of scheduled layover at YYZ.

Anybody have any current experiences to share on the Delta to Westjet connection at Toronto? This will be my first trip ever through YYZ, the last major international airport in North America that I have yet to visit.
I connected DL to WS back in February, heading LGA-YYZ-YYC. YYZ had minimal lines at immigration - maybe 5 mins, tops - and checked bags automatically transfer, as noted above (the GA came on board and announced that, and there were signs all over confirming it in the terminal). What's a little confusing is that you end up landside after immigration along with everyone else and you take the escalator/elevator back upstairs and enter domestic departures via security along with everyone off the street. I wasn't sure if it'd missed a specific connection hallway along the way - so just bear in mind that that's how it works. The security line had nobody in it, but obviously that's a wild card.

Nothing really to report beyond that - pretty straightforward.
ND76 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.