Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta just took my Paid Confirmed D1 seat away (GUC) and put me in a 757

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald

i booked HNL-GRU in D1 early January using GUC’s. I’m not sure this is solely a GUC issue since it pertains to a Domestic leg on the return do started a new thread. I think this may be a broader policy issue....
When the agent helped me with the booking the return leg from GRU-ATL-HNL was the easy leg, confirmed immediately in D1. The outbound leg was HNL-SEA-JFK-GRU and the SEA-JFK was not confirmed in 1st. That was okay so I booked.

On 4/4 Delta sends an email confirming seat assignments, on DL837 (ATL-HNL) I’m 5A. On 4/11 they advise of a schedule change (2hr earlier departure, still have 3 1/2 hrs between GRU arrival and HNL flight) and again confirm 5A seat assignment on the D1 flight.
on 4/14 they advise me of a schedule change, 837 crossed out and a replacement (2 min earlier) with new flights in D1 to LAX and then a First seat in a 757 to HNL. Clearly an inferior itinerary, so I then checked online. DL837 was still scheduled at the same time and had 25 seats in D1 available. BTW,The fares were not even that high....so what gives? What happened to my “Confirmed “ 5A seat now showing available on the seat map?

I just got off the Diamond line and after 25 min, including a Supervisor “check”, I was told “too bad”. Yes there were plenty empty seats but none available for a GUC at this time. I asked what happened to my confirmed seat, she said she couldn’t answer that question. I could waitlist that DL837 D1 flight or keep the confirmed Firsts , that was my choice.
I then asked the agent if she had dealt with Delta taking a confirmed seat away from a Diamond before, and shuffling them to inferior flights (longer duration, poorer seat configuration and service). She awkwardly said Yes, but by that point everything was awkward. This has never happened to me before and I’ve been Diamond since inception and used GUC’s throughout. They’re admittedly getting harder to use, but once paid and confirmed with a seat assignment I assumed we had a “contract”.

What gives with Delta’s new policy of after (multiple times) having confirmed a seat let’s go ahead and screw the loyal Medallion member trying to use the GUC’s Delta offers as its premier benefit?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Hawaiino
What gives with Delta’s new policy of after (multiple times) having confirmed a seat let’s go ahead and screw the loyal Medallion member trying to use the GUC’s Delta offers as its premier benefit?
Lots of schedule changes etc. are processed and oddities are observed on Saturdays. Maybe there was a blip and the flight went away, so you were rebooked through LAX, and then the flight got reinstated. Obviously, the automated rebooking handled your itinerary in a stupid way and you got screwed, but that's hardly the same thing as having a policy to deliberately screw over Medallions hopefully you used less drama in your conversation on the phone.

IMO you got a bad agent/supervisor combo. You had a confirmed upgrade, they should be able to force the space and put you back again. I'd HUCA.
Mr. Tickets and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
You can politely ask for your agent to check with Global Ticketing Support. That's an internal help desk that can manually force things through. You won't talk to them directly, but the agent can confer with them while you're on hold. On rare occasions, I've been transferred to manual reissues domestically, but most of the time you'll just be on hold while they work it out. Patience and politeness.
btonkid12345 and DiverDave like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by av8rsamr
You can politely ask for your agent to check with Global Ticketing Support. That's an internal help desk that can manually force things through. You won't talk to them directly, but the agent can confer with them while you're on hold. On rare occasions, I've been transferred to manual reissues domestically, but most of the time you'll just be on hold while they work it out. Patience and politeness.
Definitely this. And bad agent and supervisor combo.

the bad combo happened to me a few days ago - very sweet agent, but totally misinformed. Supervisor stood her ground, and said the person above the Supervisor confirmed what they both said.

This was to use a voucher to pay an award taxes and fees. Which they had done a few hours earlier, but deducted miles from the wrong SM account. They insisted it couldn't be done.

Next call, first agent made a call to a support desk and I was all set within a few minutes. No Supervisors, no exceptions - just regular policy. Just some well meaning but incompetent people, I guess - but always kill them with kindness.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Write down what you intend to say in three short declarative sentences, so that you do not get into a sideshow about your policy concerns. End those with, "can you help me fix this?"
jalves, DeltaFan4Now and ryw like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was your ticket reissued in D1 or was the GUC upgrade just confirmed? That seemingly can make a difference and I suspect that with your FC waitlist on the domestic segment in the other direction, DL has been waiting rather than reissuing into D1 for only the one direction (or reissuing both directions and arguably not permitting the GUC in that direction to potentially cover the segment where you're still booked in coach).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald
I'll begin by offering a Mahalo for your various inputs....and an additional factoid. I rated the phone agent a "5" in the survey. We had a pleasant but difficult conversation over the situation, and she was appropriately apologetic...not sheepish like she knew something she couldn't talk about, more like an experienced Pro who knew her limits and was facing an intractable Supervisor. By the time I got to Flyertalk I'd had a few glasses of wine, which makes me both more clever as well as loquacious (though did it reach " Drama Queen" status?) . Hence the post as written.

I've printed out all the Itineraries and have them stacked and ready for a call, which will be tomorrow morning HST. By the time I finish work stuff and get to this kind of stuff I'm in the deep night shift in MPS or wherever the call center might actually be. While late at night or early morning phone agent support has usually been good for ticketing I feel I've usually done better with Supervisor issues, or in this case requesting the Global Ticketing Support, during the day shifts.

Was your ticket reissued in D1 or was the GUC upgrade just confirmed? That seemingly can make a difference and I suspect that with your FC waitlist on the domestic segment in the other direction, DL has been waiting rather than reissuing into D1 for only the one direction (or reissuing both directions and arguably not permitting the GUC in that direction to potentially cover the segment where you're still booked in coach).

I
believe this may be the case. Don't know how to research this but what I have available, the website and emails, does not provide enough information. The original Flight Receipt dated 1/14 showed the ticket issued and with no seat assignments. I remember discussing preferred seat locations with the agent and selecting 5A. I did go on the website later and saw the various seat assignments, including 5A in D1 from ATL/HNL on DL837 but didn't print it out (my bad). On 4/4 I received a Delta Reservation Itinerary with all the D1 or First confirmations (O) excepting SEA/JFK which was still DC with Upgrade Requested. Then the shenanigans described above began on 4/7 and 4/14 with emails titled "Schedule Changes that Impact Your Trip".

Just went on the website and for a HNL/ATL itinerary on 7/9-7/17, to determine the load on the flight in question, DL837 has (Z) fares available.....5A is still available....I know (O) is not (Z) but it's the closest thing I know of for comparative purposes

We'll see what the morning brings....
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can find whether a new ticket was issued (although not why it was reissued) by comparing ticket numbers or looking for a new ticket receipt (with ticket number--not just the PNR or itinerary email)in your email. The delta.dumb website should show you the current receipt (with ticket number), IIRC as a PDF while you should have a receipt from the time the ticket was purchased that shows the original ticket number. IIRC there was a way to click on the ticket number and see the whole history of previous ticket numbers ("exchanged for"), but that functionality might be gone.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Hawaiino
By the time I got to Flyertalk I'd had a few glasses of wine, which makes me both more clever as well as loquacious (though did it reach " Drama Queen" status?) . Hence the post as written.
It seemed a tad rant-y, but alcohol is a valid excuse

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
It seemed a tad rant-y, but alcohol is a valid excuse

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
The thread title is a bit confusing in that some DL 757 aircraft have a D1 rather than FC cabin, with real D1 seats in a 2-2 configuration but set at a slight angle and slightly staggered to facilitate aisle access for passengers in window seats. IIRC these birds have 16 FC seats.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Write down what you intend to say in three short declarative sentences, so that you do not get into a sideshow about your policy concerns. End those with, "can you help me fix this?"
I actually find it more helpful to start with, "I don't know if you can help me with this ..."
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I actually find it more helpful to start with, "I don't know if you can help me with this ..."
NO, that makes it too easy for the recipient to just respond with something like "you're right, I can't help."

It's more effective to take a more positive attitude that while you're asking for a favor you expect it to be granted/possible rather than being negative about your expectations when you ask.
LAX-1K likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, that makes it too easy for the recipient to just respond with something like "you're right, I can't help."

It's more effective to take a more positive attitude that while you're asking for a favor you expect it to be granted/possible rather than being negative about your expectations when you ask.
That is the traditional method of doing it. I know. I'm just saying what has worked for me. And I've never had anybody say "no". The CSR aren't that bad.
In fact, I think by asking if they can help you are in a sense doubting them and they want to see if they can handle this challenge.

If you want to use traditional psychology think of it as telling a person you are going to give them a challenge, versus giving them a challenge without informing them in advance. Which one do people prefer?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even without the ticket reissued...I've been told either Supervisor and or GTS can see some sort of validation text in the PNR, where if the UG was available and any agent put it in your record - even without confirming it with a reissue - they can subsequently see the upgrade storage confirmation text in their system

This is all they needed once when my overseas D1 was taken away and they gave it right back the next AM
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:10 am

Of course they can see the upgrade, but IME once the ticket has been reissued DL views it as a premium cabin ticket, while if it hasn't been reissued yet YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.