Wiki Posts
Search

Does Delta reuse plastic cups

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:28 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Does Delta reuse plastic cups

Wondering if they really get recycled or maybe they get washed and reused.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
They certainly don’t get washed and reused given they are collected with all the other trash. It would be very difficult and expensive to sterilize a used plastic cup, and in any event I’d be surprised if it weren’t a health code violation in most jurisdictions.

There is a very good chance that they are sent to a recycling facility, but if you do a little research that far from guarantees they are actually recycled.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I believe they are recycled, or at least processed as if they are going to be recycled.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
https://news.delta.com/beyond-straw-...-onboard-clubs

"Delta was the first U.S. airline to recycle aluminum cans, plastic bottles and cups, newspapers and magazines from aircraft and has recycled more than 3 million pounds of aluminum from onboard waste – equivalent to 22 Boeing 747s – over 10 years."
quoo, TravelLawyer, smc333 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by kipper
I believe they are recycled, or at least processed as if they are going to be recycled.
It seems that it is getting harder to recycle these days, and numerous places or entities are processing recycling but in the end the stuff winds up in landfill. Some towns aren't even taking recycling, or reducing the kinds of items recycled. For example, ours no longer takes glass or styrofoam anymore.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
People don’t buy enough products made from recycled content to drive sifficient demand for recycling. If you want to make sure things get recycled please buy the products those items are made into.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by daloosh
It seems that it is getting harder to recycle these days, and numerous places or entities are processing recycling but in the end the stuff winds up in landfill. Some towns aren't even taking recycling, or reducing the kinds of items recycled. For example, ours no longer takes glass or styrofoam anymore.
Somewhat OT, but at hotels with separate waste baskets for recycling, I regularly see housekeepers combining everything into the same big trash bag.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Personally I highly doubt that DL is really recycling, I think its more of a "theater" for passengers that DL "cares about the environment"
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
I've always noticed them stacking used plastic cups as they get collected (rather than just tossing them in the trash bag) but I always assumed this was to save space rather than for any reuse/recycling purpose
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Personally I highly doubt that DL is really recycling, I think its more of a "theater" for passengers that DL "cares about the environment"
LOL....of course.

Btw....Delta has used funds from inflight recycling to help build some of the 264 Habitat for Humanity houses worldwide.
smc333 and HMPS like this.

Last edited by OHDL1; Apr 11, 2019 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:58 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by daloosh
Ours cut down on what they will take as well.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Air Houston
People don’t buy enough products made from recycled content to drive sifficient demand for recycling. If you want to make sure things get recycled please buy the products those items are made into.
I don't know what number of plastic DL cups are made of. I do know that many plastics, especially soda bottles, are recycled into carpet fibers. The carpet industry in north Georgia is a huge consumer of recycled plastic.

BTW, these are the different types of plastics.
#1: PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate)
#2: HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene)
#3: PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
#4: LDPE (Low-Density Polyethylene)
#5: PP (Polypropylene)
#6: PS (Polystyrene)
#7: Polycarbonate, BPA, and Other Plastics.

I know that #2 HDPE is "hard plastic" (things like brush handles, milk crates, etc). I don't know what is what of the other types.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by ecaarch
I don't know what number of plastic DL cups are made of. I do know that many plastics, especially soda bottles, are recycled into carpet fibers. The carpet industry in north Georgia is a huge consumer of recycled plastic.
That's cool. We just got new outside rubber door mats -- they are made of recycled tires, supposedly.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Somewhat OT, but at hotels with separate waste baskets for recycling, I regularly see housekeepers combining everything into the same big trash bag.
Yah, me too. I remember reading that Delta separates the cups for recycling and that they supposedly sort the garbage from the plane. But recently, I also read that while MEM still has recycling containers in the airport, the airport is no longer recycling.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: none
This is America in the 21st century. If there’s a need out there for someone who can make a buck by making plastic parts, someone will fill it.
just gather enough capital, start up a business, and get rich
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:23 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
To help the flight attendants, don't put your trash in the cup and hand it to them. They stack the cups to recycle and throw everything else way.
Maestro Ramen and Air Houston like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.