Wiki Posts
Search

FA stay seated whole flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
FA stay seated whole flight

I understand turbulence happens. However multiple times now on short SLC flights the crew stays seated the whole flight. They claim there's turbulence that severe. Only one problem! There is no turbulence, at all. It seems they just don't want to work. No service to the F cabin. Heck, they don't even get up to do a final cabin check! As a pilot I've gone online to look at PIREPs
, TAFs, SIGMETS and winds aloft. None indicate severe turbulence, in fact PIREPs normally indicate no turbulence .

Last night again flying out of SLC. Not one bump. Yet again, stay seated whole flight duration.
sdadept likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Did the Captain announce that the FA's should remain seated?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:20 am

I am not nearly as trigger happy on the "file a complaint" button as many in this forum seem to be, but I would definitely file one here. This is one of those chronic things that people will just keep doing forever if they never face any pushback, and it's unlikely to unjustly affect the FAs since it's pretty easy to investigate and see if there was actually valid concern.
Spiff, ATL10A, jamesteroh and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:24 am

Was this mainline or a regional carrier?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dime1622
Was this mainline or a regional carrier?
Had it on both mainline and regional on Skywest .
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I am not nearly as trigger happy on the "file a complaint" button as many in this forum seem to be, but I would definitely file one here. This is one of those chronic things that people will just keep doing forever if they never face any pushback, and it's unlikely to unjustly affect the FAs since it's pretty easy to investigate and see if there was actually valid concern.
I would file a complaint as well. (Excluding EU-261, I have filed 1 complaint in probably my past 100 segments, so not too trigger happy I think). I know for a fact that this is a game that is played at another carrier on short/short-mid range flights. It started off as one time here or there, and now it has become common practice on days where FAs don't feel like working, and especially on leisure routes where pax don't know any better. My connections are pretty frustrated by the situation, and contribute to the reasons I fly DL rather than the carrier I know people at. Bring this to DL's attention and don't let it become a habit or part of DL's culture.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
FC should always have an attempted service in-flight. If it's really that bumpy, I'm understanding, but usually it's not. Of course, Delta will be defensive of it being in the name of safety.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Those FAs must have joined from Alaska.
Its a normal occurrence on Alaska short flights. In my opinion these FAs should be the ones piloting the aircraft as they know more about the turbulence then pilots.

On one of my Alaska flights, the pilot pointedly came on and announced that the flight will be smooth RIGHT AFTER FA announced that they will not serve due to turbulence that is expected. Go Figure!
BearX220, flyerCO, Gerbs and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:44 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Honestly, I think there should be no service on flights under an hour. On a ATL-TPA flight on a 739 a few days ago, the crew struggled to complete a full service due to the flight being like 56 minutes. I am fine not eating/drinking for that short of a period. Maybe they could leave the water bottles that are always in F at every seat.
I am not defending the crew, but maybe they think if they start the service, and it gets too bumpy and they have to stop before they can finish the entire cabin, people would get angry. Just a thought. Hopefully you bring this to Delta's attention even if they quote safety being their main concern.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Honestly, I think there should be no service on flights under an hour. On a ATL-TPA flight on a 739 a few days ago, the crew struggled to complete a full service due to the flight being like 56 minutes. I am fine not eating/drinking for that short of a period. Maybe they could leave the water bottles that are always in F at every seat.
I am not defending the crew, but maybe they think if they start the service, and it gets too bumpy and they have to stop before they can finish the entire cabin, people would get angry. Just a thought. Hopefully you bring this to Delta's attention even if they quote safety being their main concern.
Somehow I managed to restrain myself from clapping back!
Are you a shareholder?

By that standard there should be no planes with F cabin on any route less then 500 miles.
If you are in F cabin you should expect to get the service advertised as long as its safe. Plain and Simple. Faking a turbulence should not become a norm.
Spiff, ND76, jamesteroh and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jeet
Are you a shareholder?

By that standard there should be no planes with F cabin on any route less then 500 miles.
If you are in F cabin you should expect to get the service advertised as long as its safe. Plain and Simple. Faking a turbulence should not become a norm.
I got the impression jackvogt was referring to service in the Y cabin. And yes, I’ve been on short hops where the FAs were unable to complete service throughout the Y Cabin because the flight wasn’t long enough, and I would be fine if for the Main Cabin, they just did the “Water Bottle” service, either just mini Dasani bottles or the big bottle and plastic cups to make sure everyone got something versus doing a "full service" where they only get through 1/2 or 2/3rds of the cabin before having to stop service and put the carts away.

nancypants likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Apr 8, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:13 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by jeet
Are you a shareholder?

First of all, I am not advocating to fake turbulence. I own stock in multiple airlines. I was talking about economy. No need for a service. All they'll be handing out is sodas and cookies. Big whoop. I don't need that. I don't pay for that. So maybe I'll just amend my original statement. F should get a service if its safe. Otherwise leave a little snack box and water bottle in everyone's seats. Again, faking turbulence is not ok. Delta should be made aware.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I get this routinely on PSC-SLC/SEA. Fortunately Delta now changed the rules and officially said no beverage service on SEA-PSC, since it's only half an hour from wheels up to wheels down.

If they are advertising cabin service, the should attempt to do it and not just manufacture turbulence as an excuse.

To the OP - if the flight is advertised as having cabin service, file a complaint.
IndyHoosier and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Honestly, I think there should be no service on flights under an hour. On a ATL-TPA flight on a 739 a few days ago, the crew struggled to complete a full service due to the flight being like 56 minutes.
That's a bit of a laugh. I know Europe is not America, but I've been on flights like London-Paris or Geneva-London of about an hour's duration in the air where the crew manages to serve 150 passengers a full trayed lunch or snack. It's not the duration that rules out amenities, it's crew accountability and motivation.
Spiff, chica, bubbashow and 21 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:37 pm

@ jackvogt Sorry, I misinterpreted your post and thought you were advocating no service in F on short flights.
I inferred from first post that OP was talking about F service

In my book if the flight has F cabin it should get full service (barring meals on short ones) irrespective of flying time.

Totally understand the need to stop/suspend service for 'real' turbulence.
Just last night on a 4 hr flight, it was very choppy for after takeoff and the FA just about managed to get drinks to 1A and 1B and then had to sit down so rest of us got our drinks after about an hour. Thats totally fine.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.