Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA stay seated whole flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Originally Posted by ng1265
Even on a 15-minute flight in domestic Greenland the crew managed to serve passengers a full dash-8 with water bottles and a basket of snacks.
Hawaiian does a quick cabin service on 20 min (flight- time), 100 mile island hoppers as well, passing out mini-waters and juice.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Too often, it's whether the FAs are feeling it or not. A little while ago my wife and I did a SEA-YVR return in AS F. On the way up there were 5 or 6 of us up front; the FA claimed short flight duration made service impossible, and relaxed and read a gossip magazine in her jumpseat. On the way back: full F cabin but different FA, PDBs for all including coffee, then cocktails in the air. Fine weather both directions.

Once the forward door is closed management can't make them do anything.
I could see whether an FA has time to really serve the F cabin on SEA-YVR (only 127 miles) being impacted by which direction the flow is going in to/out of SEA (North flow or South flow). For example, if coming from YVR and SEA is on South Flow, I could see where that flight is only in the air 15-20 min not having enough time to serve drinks to the F cabin, especially if on a 737 (other than maybe a water service at most) while if on North flow, due to having to fly well south of SEA and then turn around to land, you’re in the air closer to 25-30 min from YVR which might be just enough time to serve the F cabin quickly.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Apr 10, 2019 at 5:05 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Is this a US thing? On JAL flights between Tokyo and Osaka (45 minutes in the air) they manage to serve a full meal in F.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Is this a US thing? On JAL flights between Tokyo and Osaka (45 minutes in the air) they manage to serve a full meal in F.
For the most part yes. Several other posters in this thread have made your point, e.g. there is more hustle and efficiency on the part of the cabin staff aboard short flights in Asia and Europe.

It's partly due to the withdrawal of trayed meal service in Y on all US domestic flights, short or long. It's partly because in the US, cabin staff have so much flexibility to execute against or ignore service standards as they see fit.

Even on a 4-to-6-hour flight in the US, it is not unusual to have the cabin quiet and service-free for the first 90 minutes or so. If you're sitting near a galley you may not hear staff dishing up ice and getting the cart prepped until you've been aloft an hour or more. In that time, as you point out, other airlines in other regions serve a whole meal plus beverage service, even on widebodies.
Spiff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:42 am

Comparing any US carrier service to European, Asian, etc carriers service is different. Most of those airlines can accomplish full service with meals on short flights because they staff above minimum crew. We only staff at minimum crew. Completing those full service flights with more than the required crew is easy. The bottom line comes before staffing to levels where we could do the same. I don’t agree that using turbulence as an excuse is acceptable.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
For the most part yes. Several other posters in this thread have made your point, e.g. there is more hustle and efficiency on the part of the cabin staff aboard short flights in Asia and Europe.

It's partly due to the withdrawal of trayed meal service in Y on all US domestic flights, short or long. It's partly because in the US, cabin staff have so much flexibility to execute against or ignore service standards as they see fit.

Even on a 4-to-6-hour flight in the US, it is not unusual to have the cabin quiet and service-free for the first 90 minutes or so. If you're sitting near a galley you may not hear staff dishing up ice and getting the cart prepped until you've been aloft an hour or more. In that time, as you point out, other airlines in other regions serve a whole meal plus beverage service, even on widebodies.
  1. It's partly due to the withdrawal of trayed meal service in Y on all US domestic flights, short or long.
  2. It's partly because in the US, cabin staff have so much flexibility to execute against or ignore service standards as they see fit.
  3. It's totally because in US, cabin staff is there primarily for our safety
  4. It's totally because in US, (as another poster mentioned) cabin staff can go on a power trip without any fear of repercussions once the door is closed
There.. now we have a complete list!
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
5. It is partly bacause on USA carriers, there's generally not an inflight service supervisor/manager position (except on longhaul flights where there's a purser), just a "lead" (usually most senior FA) position. A supervisor/manager could tell FAs to do their jobs, but the "lead" supposedly doesn't have such authority.
BearX220, Spiff and jamesteroh like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:57 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Flight # 1360 PHL to ATL. Haven’t even left the gate yet and the pilots already made an announcement that because of turbulence the FAs will remain seated. Something is up!

In flight update. FAs getting a free ride to ATL. Pilots just make an additional announcement that they will stay seated.

Just a reference flew MIA to PHL on AA 2333 last night. Actual storms in FL and no announcement was made to have FAs seated during the flight.

Last edited by SSF556; Apr 10, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:19 pm

My husband and I were just talking about this. On our last few flights - MSP-MCO, and MSP-LAS; the captain mentioned turbulence and the flight attendants will stay seated. They did for virtually the entire flight. There was zero turbulence. Much smoother than most flights. We were thinking this was an anomaly, but now we are thinking Delta has been sued by their flight attendants due to injuries received during turbulence and now a directive has gone out to the flight crew to err extremely on the side of caution. While the fasten seat belts signs stayed on, after a while the passengers did have to give up and get up to go to the bathroom.
Went from Tokyo-Hiroshima on JAL - had the worst turbulence ever experienced and the flight attendants served drinks and snacks no problem. Fasten seat belt sign did not even come on. We are too cautious and afraid of lawsuits in the US!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SSF556
Flight # 1360 PHL to ATL. Haven’t even left the gate yet and the pilots already made an announcement that because of turbulence the FAs will remain seated. Something is up!

In flight update. FAs getting a free ride to ATL. Pilots just make an additional announcement that they will stay seated.

Just a reference flew MIA to PHL on AA 2333 last night. Actual storms in FL and no announcement was made to have FAs seated during the flight.
It sounds to me more like some sort of a labor action, the crew version of a slowdown or something.
xiphoid76, hortkie and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I understand turbulence happens. However multiple times now on short SLC flights the crew stays seated the whole flight. They claim there's turbulence that severe. Only one problem! There is no turbulence, at all. It seems they just don't want to work. No service to the F cabin. Heck, they don't even get up to do a final cabin check! As a pilot I've gone online to look at PIREPs
, TAFs, SIGMETS and winds aloft. None indicate severe turbulence, in fact PIREPs normally indicate no turbulence .

Last night again flying out of SLC. Not one bump. Yet again, stay seated whole flight duration.
was on dtw > day and fa said “I’d better do this now” and served the entire RJ snacks while on the ground and then served cups of water prepared as soon as he could after intial climb out

on dsm > dtw the fa made the rounds in first 3 times while cruising They aren’t all lazy
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:15 am

Flew ATL-DCA Monday PM - the pilot did mention in initial announcement that there was weather between the two cities and that we were deviating around it. Then during the flight FA announced that there would be an abbreviated service of just water. At some point during that a different FA came on and in a somewhat panicky voice said "Flight attendants please take your seats immediately." Mind you, I love some nice chop so I was getting pretty excited at this point. But the whole flight, there was literally no noticeable turbulence, so not sure what the fuss was about. I was in C+ and was really looking forward to a glass of white wine but alas...

FWIW, the crew was basically nice but the flight attendant by me (I was in 13F) seemed to be reading his Kindle during takeoff and landing. Not sure if that's acceptable but he was kind of cute so who cares... (ATL GAs were fun, sassy, friendly, and nice...)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by William1865
Flew ATL-DCA Monday PM - the pilot did mention in initial announcement that there was weather between the two cities and that we were deviating around it. Then during the flight FA announced that there would be an abbreviated service of just water. At some point during that a different FA came on and in a somewhat panicky voice said "Flight attendants please take your seats immediately." Mind you, I love some nice chop so I was getting pretty excited at this point. But the whole flight, there was literally no noticeable turbulence, so not sure what the fuss was about. I was in C+ and was really looking forward to a glass of white wine but alas...

FWIW, the crew was basically nice but the flight attendant by me (I was in 13F) seemed to be reading his Kindle during takeoff and landing. Not sure if that's acceptable but he was kind of cute so who cares... (ATL GAs were fun, sassy, friendly, and nice...)
“Personal Pastimes” as Delta calls it are not allowed while on the plane and working.....these lazy FAs should realize doing their job would be a better use of their time and longevity than being reported to Delta. If they want their personal phone and tablet time it can’t happen while on the plane so please report this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

“Personal Pastimes” as Delta calls it are not allowed while on the plane and working.....these lazy FAs should realize doing their job would be a better use of their time and longevity than being reported to Delta. If they want their personal phone and tablet time it can’t happen while on the plane so please report this.
I'm glad to hear this. To me, it looks like just bad form when a customer service employee is more interested and preoccupied with playing with a personal device than serving customers. I've noticed a lot for front desk staff ignoring guests while using phones and iPads.

Of course the situation is very different during designated (staggered) break times on longer flights, when deadheading, when commuting for work (even if in uniform) etc., although I'm not sure how many passengers would recognize and appreciate the distinction in that if they see a FA in a jumpseat or in the galley, they assume that the employee is on duty.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:51 pm

I can't think of anything more offensive than an flight attendant READING during takeoff. The vapours!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have everyone else's experiences beat. I was on a SkyWest-operated Delta Connection early-morning flight at 6 o'clock-ish. The flight attendant not only stayed seated for the whole flight, but she slept for at least 20 of the 40 minutes. The cabin was mostly empty and nothing happened.

As soon as I landed and deplaned I saw a red jacket supervisor and reported the flight attendant.
Spiff and AANYC1981 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.