Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic PS Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Domestic PS Upgrades

On airplanes that have Premium Select and are running domestic routes for positioning, do elites have access to complimentary PS upgrades?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
On airplanes that have Premium Select and are running domestic routes for positioning, do elites have access to complimentary PS upgrades?
I’m not aware of any A350 or refurbished 777 domestic routes.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thinking about the 777s that run SYD-LAX, fly out to ATL and then to Jo-berg and I think they turn around and repeat. This is for the unrefurbs though, but given the SYD-LAX gets in the early in the morning and LAX-SYD leaves that night I think they would find something to do with those planes.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thinking about the 777s that run SYD-LAX, fly out to ATL and then to Jo-berg and I think they turn around and repeat. This is for the unrefurbs though, but given the SYD-LAX gets in the early in the morning and LAX-SYD leaves that night I think they would find something to do with those planes.
There are no 777s on ATL-LAX currently. LAX-SYD just switched to the refurbished 77L and ATL-JNB is using the regular 77L so they don’t rotate the aircraft through ATL anymore.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

There are no 777s on ATL-LAX currently. LAX-SYD just switched to the refurbished 77L and ATL-JNB is using the regular 77L so they don’t rotate the aircraft through ATL anymore.
1954 and 1218 are showing as 777's on various dates in May starting around May 8th. They are selling the PS seats as C+, and the C+ seats are just Preferred.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
1954 and 1218 are showing as 777's on various dates in May starting around May 8th. They are selling the PS seats as C+, and the C+ seats are just Preferred.
Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
I wouldn't want an "upgrade" (or as a certain blogger says, a "sidegrade") to either of the two middle seats in the center section of premium-economy. I really wish Delta would have found a way to put either a dividing wall or a gap of three or four inches between the second and third seats.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I wouldn't want an "upgrade" (or as a certain blogger says, a "sidegrade") to either of the two middle seats in the center section of premium-economy. I really wish Delta would have found a way to put either a dividing wall or a gap of three or four inches between the second and third seats.
I agree with you that the middle section of four seats is not ideal. For an overnight flight, I would NOT want those.

But for a domestic flight - especially as a free upgrade - I would take it. The legroom in ANY of the PS seats is better than most domestic first seats. And as Delta starts updating A330s and B767s we will see more domestic flights with them.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by blitzcon
I agree with you that the middle section of four seats is not ideal. For an overnight flight, I would NOT want those.

But for a domestic flight - especially as a free upgrade - I would take it. The legroom in ANY of the PS seats is better than most domestic first seats. And as Delta starts updating A330s and B767s we will see more domestic flights with them.
I'd rather have the A or G seats in the first row of economy or comfort-plus at the bulkhead on the 767 than any of the middle four seats in premium-economy.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I'd rather have the A or G seats in the first row of economy or comfort-plus at the bulkhead on the 767 than any of the middle four seats in premium-economy.
What's the logic here? The reason why people want window/aisle seats is so they can "lean away" from the person next to them. The entire idea of premium economy is that you have more room so that you aren't playing shoulder bump games with your neighbor. On all of Delta's planes, there is enough room that this is generally the case.

I'd take a Premium Select seat over any C+ seat any day.
Duke787 and bubbashow like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal
What's the logic here? The reason why people want window/aisle seats is so they can "lean away" from the person next to them. The entire idea of premium economy is that you have more room so that you aren't playing shoulder bump games with your neighbor. On all of Delta's planes, there is enough room that this is generally the case.

I'd take a Premium Select seat over any C+ seat any day.
Legroom but also you only have one neighbor as opposed to the three neighbors (presumably two on the 767) you get in premium-economy. And with drinks served in plastic glasses and meals basically a choice between chicken or pasta, I don't know think it is truly worth the premium if you can get this these critical bulkhead seats.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:00 pm

Legroom but also you only have one neighbor as opposed to the three neighbors (presumably two on the 767) you get in premium-economy. And with drinks served in plastic glasses and meals basically a choice between chicken or pasta, I don't know think it is truly worth the premium if you can get this these critical bulkhead seats.
Premium Select legroom is pretty generous - significantly more than Domestic F (although some of that is compensated for if the person reclines given the deeper recline).

And on number of neighbors - I'd rather have two neighbors I'm not touching than one neighbor I'm rammed up against. But to each their own...

Who cares about the food and what it's served out of (in the case of a domestic trip I doubt meals would be served in either anyways)?

I could see your point if this was a discussion about paying, but I think it's pretty fooldhardy to turn down 4 inches of extra horizontal space between you and your neighbor. The only time I would agree with you is if your C+ seat next to you was empty.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:06 pm

Flying an Air France 777, I recently traded seats with a split couple, moving myself from an economy exit row to premium economy.
Now, I really hate those PE shell seats. Sliding forward your legs on recline is terrible. And the AF food is not really any different between cabins. But I assure you having neighbors was not a problem and nobody’s shoulders were in danger of touching, as opposed to economy where I’m always leaning away from the middle.

i haven’t flown Delta’s PS yet, but given the published numbers and reviews I can’t imagine that’s a plausible concern for them either.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Since this thread has drifted, I will say that I have verified on FlightAware that this is exactly what seems to be happening - today's DL40 from Sydney gets into LAX, chills for ~14 hours, and then turns around to Sydney.

That seems surprisingly wasteful to have an airplane sit doing nothing for that long. But I'm guessing this a temporary measure while refurbs are happening?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Since this thread has drifted, I will say that I have verified on FlightAware that this is exactly what seems to be happening - today's DL40 from Sydney gets into LAX, chills for ~14 hours, and then turns around to Sydney.

That seems surprisingly wasteful to have an airplane sit doing nothing for that long. But I'm guessing this a temporary measure while refurbs are happening?
Given that they only have one plane of this type they probably want to reduce the risk of a tight schedule leading to delays/cancellations. Plus we're still not back to peak season yet for international travel so there is a lot of widebody slack in the fleet (although that will go away in the next couple of weeks).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.