Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Thickened milk?!?!? Breakfast in First today!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

Maybe I have not been paying attention, and missed the rollout of this product but I was offered cereal in First today flying BTV to ATL and the cereal came with a small carton of "thickened dairy product"! It was a small carton of milk that was thickened to the consistency of honey-it said so right on the carton. Is this the norm now? Is there a problem with old watery milk? Does this stuff keep longer, spill less? Just curious what others think. The FA had never seen it before either. It kind of sits on top of the cereal.

I tried to post pictures of it but can't as I am too new to posting here.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Maybe it's because of the 15 month room temp shelf life. I drink unsweetened almond milk because it tastes good enough and it's still ok to drink after being in the fridge for three months. I hate it when after one week I reach for the real milk and realize it has already gone bad.

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Sounds like a first flight of the day out of a small outstation and no catering facility so your breakfast has to be shelf stable and most likely flew in the night before with that same equipment.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's a plausible explanation. To my mind, cereal + room temp thickened dairy beverage beats several-day-old room temp bagel.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond
You can get shelf stable milk in a PET box without the added tapioca, sugar, thickeners, and artificial ingredients that come with whatever this is.

I stock shelf stable (UHT pasteurized) 2% milk at home for when I go on a trip and don't want to go to the grocery store when I get home and still want cold milk in the AM. It keeps for months before opening.

Not sure why this is provisioned, but it seems pretty nasty.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What was the old DuPont tag line? Better Living Through Chemistry.

From the Hormel Health Labs web pages:

Ingredients: Reduced Fat Milk, Modified Food Starch, Sugar, Contains 2% or less of Water, Xanthan Gum, Nonfat Dry Milk, Phosphate and Citrate Blend (Sodium Citrate, Disodium Phosphate, Trisodium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate), Carrageenan (Contains Dextrose), Locust Bean Gum, Polysorbate 80, Vitamin A Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Vitamin D3. CONTAINS: MILK.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They have been selling milk that doesn't need refrigeration and doesn't spoil for a long time in Europe for decades. It always seems weird to see the milk sitting on shelves at room temperature. AFAIK it's regular 2%, skim, etc. and isn't thick.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Yum, that would go great with the Rice Chex which on the box says "Partially Produced with Genetic Engineering"
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Ingredients: Reduced Fat Milk, Modified Food Starch, Sugar, Contains 2% or less of Water, Xanthan Gum, Nonfat Dry Milk, Phosphate and Citrate Blend (Sodium Citrate, Disodium Phosphate, Trisodium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate), Carrageenan (Contains Dextrose), Locust Bean Gum, Polysorbate 80, Vitamin A Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Vitamin D3. CONTAINS: MILK.
Ahhhh, yes. I'm just about to have some breakfast. I think I'll have a little Carrageenan to go with my Sodium Hexametaphosphate.

Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Strange that is is that thick... at first I assumed it would be a little thicker like a cream with perhaps the purpose to reduce spills or splashing? But having it thick like honey or condensed milk is strange.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by laurieb14
Maybe I have not been paying attention, and missed the rollout of this product but I was offered cereal in First today flying BTV to ATL and the cereal came with a small carton of "thickened dairy product"! It was a small carton of milk that was thickened to the consistency of honey-it said so right on the carton. Is this the norm now? Is there a problem with old watery milk? Does this stuff keep longer, spill less? Just curious what others think. The FA had never seen it before either. It kind of sits on top of the cereal.

I tried to post pictures of it but can't as I am too new to posting here.
How did it taste?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What was the old DuPont tag line? Better Living Through Chemistry.

From the Hormel Health Labs web pages:

Originally Posted by davetravels
Ahhhh, yes. I'm just about to have some breakfast. I think I'll have a little Carrageenan to go with my Sodium Hexametaphosphate.

Without going into too much unnecessary detail, basically part of my job involves doing low-level observation flights in helicopters. Recently, flying around central Illinois, I had the olfactory pleasure of passing over a plant where this stuff is made. From googling it afterwards, I could tell that this plant literally makes the 'processed' in processed foods. Starches, syrups, emulsifiers, stabilizers, etc... That stench is permanently ingrained in the back of my mind. Nothing that smells that awful being made could possibly be good for you.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:12 pm

This has to be the result of a miscater. Let's not read too much into this unless it shows up again.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
This has to be the result of a miscater. Let's not read too much into this unless it shows up again.
I'd hope so. But at the same time, I can't help but wonder why the hell aan airline catering operation even has this product on hand. Is this supposed to be an ingredient, rather than an end product to be served to consumers?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They have been selling milk that doesn't need refrigeration and doesn't spoil for a long time in Europe for decades. It always seems weird to see the milk sitting on shelves at room temperature. AFAIK it's regular 2%, skim, etc. and isn't thick.
My local grocery store (HEB) has started carrying this. Seems to be slowly catching on in the US.

As for OP I'm guessing that someone ordered the wrong stuff. The product is designed for those with dysphagia, a problem swallowing. It's made by Hormel Health Labs. This is a product that's not really meant to be used by anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.