Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zipties on luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
Seems like there's always a way around almost every lock or zip tie. Here's a video that shows how thieves can use a ballpoint pen to open your locked luggage - and zip it back up so you never know it was ever opened:
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:43 am

Cool What kind of cutter for zipties?

So what kind of zip tie cutter will always get through security? Do the small fingernail cutters work on the zip tie size that KLM uses?

(How can a message be too short? Isn't short good?)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by ConnieDee
So what kind of zip tie cutter will always get through security? Do the small fingernail cutters work on the zip tie size that KLM uses?

(How can a message be too short? Isn't short good?)
I use generally put zip ties on my carry on if I plan on sleeping during a long flight and have never had any trouble using fingernail clippers to get them off. And I generally use these for my checked luggage.

I always figure that there's nothing that's gonna stop a committed thief from getting in to my bag. So my goal is just to make it take a tiny bit of work in the hopes that they move on to an easier target.
gooselee and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Yes, nail clippers work and I've always (knock wood) been able to get through security around the world.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I always figure that there's nothing that's gonna stop a committed thief from getting in to my bag. So my goal is just to make it take a tiny bit of work in the hopes that they move on to an easier target.
This. I use zip ties as well for checked bags (and a nail clipper to undo them). It's not that they're really that hard to defeat, but thieves are looking for the laziest & fastest route so if they're comparing a bag with a zip tie vs. one without, 99% of the time I'm betting on them going after the one without.

Similar philosophy with the "take/hide/lock" signs you see around car parks. Two cars have laptops in them. Car A has the laptop hidden away in the trunk and all doors locked. Car B has the laptop sitting out on the seat and a window halfway rolled down. Car B is going to lose that laptop first.
ConnieDee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.