Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Moving from NYC to WAS area - Flying DL in WAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving from NYC to WAS area - Flying DL in WAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcdc
oh great to know! good thinking on Alaska too....
Alaska has DCA - PDX / LAX / SEA / SFO directs I believe.

Good option for west coast, less appealing for middle of the country and non-existent for East Coast.

In the old days AS + DL/AA for East Coast and international would've been a great option
marcdc likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:27 pm

I live in Bethesda

Depending on the time of day and your proximity to Metro, DCA is a breeze coming from Bethesda or Rockville, especially if you'll be east of 270 outside the beltway or inside the beltway.

I usually take Metro (Red Line then connect at Gallery Place to Yellow has proven the easiest connection for me) vs. driving, but when the current construction in over, if you need to drive, George Washington Parkway from 405 after crossing into VA is usually the best route. It's always worth check traffic though as bottlenecks can happen.

The construction in front of the terminals makes driving frustrating at present until the project is complete.

As a light packer, I take Metro unless I have an early AM flight on a holiday or Sunday.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Convenient train? Sorry this made me laugh out loud. Metro's LONG delayed Silver Line extension to IAD will open next year. From downtown the ride will take more than an hour.

If you're going to be close to the city center and DCA, DL is a good choice. Super convenient airport, if you have PreCheck/Clear you're through security very fast. Nice SkyClub.
On DL you'll mainly take flights to their major hubs: ATL, JFK, LGA, SLC, MSP, DTW and they also have a NS to LAX on a D1 75S. It depends on where you travel the most.

I've been a PM with DL since 2008 and fly DL exclusively. I switched from AA.. and then back in the day TWA. DL's service is just better in my opinion.I probably fly 50-60 segments annually.

If you want more NS routes from DCA look at AA. If you are close to IAD look at UA. If you're closer to BWI look at WN.
It's convenient compared to the current situation, and compared to the train ride to JFK and some other airports.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by TurfGuy
From that area, the GW Parkway is a great (and very pretty) route down to DCA. I had a client in Gaithersburg and would fly into DCA, spend a night near the airport (lots of great restaurant options in Crystal City) and then drive up the GW in the morning against the inbound commuters.
Except that there was a sinkhole in the GW parkway between the Beltway and Chain Bridge Road (VA 123) that manifested itself today, and as a result the northbound lanes of the GW parkway are closed to traffic.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by hotturnip
It's convenient compared to the current situation, and compared to the train ride to JFK and some other airports.
Have you used DC's Metro system lately?
And there has always been an express bus from downtown DC or Rosslyn in Arlington to IAD. There's a dedicated Dulles access road just off of 66 that takes you right to the airport.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
I moved to Reston from Westchester County, NY about 8 years ago. I've stayed with Delta, both because of inertia (have regularly been Plat and later Diamond, with about 2 million miles) and also because I've always had a good customer experience with Delta.

In NY I always flew out of LGA or JFK. I would do one-way rentals from/to HPN. That meant about 2+/- hours of pre-flight travel time before I even stepped onto the plane.

Now I live 10 minutes from IAD and with Clear I can be at the gate within 30 minutes of leaving my house. So compared to my NY area flights, I consider IAD a breeze and am willing to overlook some of the other downsides others have mentioned.

I only wish IAD had a lounge, but I have Priority Pass so I use the Turkish lounge and occasionally the BA lounge.

I wholeheartedly agree that DCA is a great option, especially if you're near a Metro stop. Since the Wiehle station opened I don't hesitate to trek to DCA if it means a reasonable price savings.

I thought about maybe switching to United when I moved here, but most of my travel now is leisure and, like I mentioned earlier, the loyalty benefits made me stick with Delta.
marcdc likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Have you used DC's Metro system lately?
And there has always been an express bus from downtown DC or Rosslyn in Arlington to IAD. There's a dedicated Dulles access road just off of 66 that takes you right to the airport.
Yes, in November.

I'm not sure about the relevance of your subsequent comment regarding the bus and the access road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.