Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trigger buy up offer again after checking in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

Last night I checked in for my flight tonight, and it gave me a buy up offer. I declined at the time but 15 min later thought it made more sense for me to take the buy up. I couldnt find it again in the app, tweeted at delta who un-checked me in so i could run it again. Except this time i couldnt get the offer to show up. Is there any way to 'trigger' these again?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Last night I checked in for my flight tonight, and it gave me a buy up offer. I declined at the time but 15 min later thought it made more sense for me to take the buy up. I couldnt find it again in the app, tweeted at delta who un-checked me in so i could run it again. Except this time i couldnt get the offer to show up. Is there any way to 'trigger' these again?
No, but you could just call Delta and see if they can sell you the same buy up. At least on domestic routes phone agents now seem to be able to sell the same type of buy up offers that are available online, and sometimes they can even offer a better price depending on what type of fares are available.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it is still available, a phone agent ought to be able to sell it. The question really is whether it was still available. Just as likely that between the initial check in and subsequent attempt, someone else grabbed what might have had availability for just one passenger.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

No one could find the cash buy up, so i just used miles. =/ offer was ~$900 to D1 MSP-LHR which i should have just jumped on the moment i saw it.....
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Blinged Out
No one could find the cash buy up, so i just used miles. =/ offer was ~$900 to D1 MSP-LHR which i should have just jumped on the moment i saw it.....

Not sure what your fare basis was, but that isn’t a bad buy up- especially from MSP
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaHawg

Not sure what your fare basis was, but that isn’t a bad buy up- especially from MSP
H fare so not a cheap fare to begin with, but since its for work...$900 out of my pocket isnt bad at all for arriving well rested.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you know what fare classes DL was selling at the time for your flight?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you know what fare classes DL was selling at the time for your flight?
Dummy booking OW shows B fare for main, C+ sold out, and D1 in D, RT shows H for main outbound still.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
D is a fairly expensive D1 fare, so I'm guessing that $900 to upgrade would be a nice discount, even from an H fare (which would require a RT purchase as would Z, I, and IIRC D too). You've probably looked at the numbers but I would guess that a D MSP-LHR RT is about $9000, although I haven't looked recently at low season fares.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dummy booking OW shows B fare for main, C+ sold out, and D1 in D, RT shows H for main outbound still.
On today's DL10 flight? That's not what I see. For D1 I see -- J5 C5 D5 I5 Z5 . Dummy booking is not particularly useful since lower fares will not be available for purchase this close in. From what I've seen, FCM offer is generally based on availability in the lower buckets and price does not have relationship with your original fare or booking class. Could be un-checking you in was not sufficient to return the offer.

Upgrades will not be available on delta.com or the Fly Delta app if:
  • Any flight segment of your trip is departing the United Kingdom, France, India, Ghana or Honduras
  • You have already checked in to your flight
  • Any segment of your flight is operated by a partner airline
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
On today's DL10 flight? That's not what I see. For D1 I see -- J5 C5 D5 I5 Z5 . Dummy booking is not particularly useful since lower fares will not be available for purchase this close in. From what I've seen, FCM offer is generally based on availability in the lower buckets and price does not have relationship with your original fare or booking class. Could be un-checking you in was not sufficient to return the offer.

• Any flight segment of your trip is departing the United Kingdom, France, India, Ghana or Honduras
The UK and France exclusions are presumably because of the "luxury tax" which would require collecting additional money for premium cabin departures, although IIRC PS and D1 would have the same tax.

Partner segments make it difficult to calculate a price and then reissue the ticket.

Could it be that DL doesn't want to encourage people to call and un-check in so they won't make an offer if the person has already checked in?

BTW, this looks like odd fare class availability to me. I would interpret it as five empty D1 seats, but it's surprising that DL would be willing to sell all 5 at a Z fare or permit someone with a Z ticket to change to the flight (for example, after the outbound has been flown). If only DL would open more coach fare classes on the day of travel to make SDC easier when the flight clearly has empty seats.

Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:51 am

How many miles?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ

True, i didnt check buckets i just did the quick dummy book. DL10 today, so departing US, and not partner operated.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
How many miles?
65k. Not the best but...I'll take it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:47 pm

65k. Not the best but...I'll take it.
Compared to spending $900 I think you did well. You came in well under the 90K mile pay per mile rate. Personally, if I had the miles, I'd rather spend 65K of them for a D1 upgrade over spending $900. The way that Delta is valuing miles these days, that's means you spent $650 rather than $900 (but of course it is possible to find much better redemption values).
rogo, FLYPWM, MEABFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Compared to spending $900 I think you did well. You came in well under the 90K mile pay per mile rate. Personally, if I had the miles, I'd rather spend 65K of them for a D1 upgrade over spending $900. The way that Delta is valuing miles these days, that's means you spent $650 rather than $900 (but of course it is possible to find much better redemption values).
True, I'm just low on miles these days after burning a lot on last min trips. End of the day tho, im happy with the outcome. Now i just gotta pray for an equip swap to anything but the 767

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.