Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Downgrading a Medallion Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I'm pretty sure the only way they are bumping an upgraded pax is an IT error, plane change, or some other automated process gone wrong.

I've never heard of it being done intentionally. And I've tried... last month had ATL-SAN rt in paid F. I SDC'd the first leg to an earlier flight, and the agent who did it messed up and reissued my ticket as a one way. I didn't realize until I went to check in for my return and had no flight. Called up and my original flight was "fully booked" in F. I asked them to downgrade someone back to Y, since I was in paid F and it was 100% their error. Was steadfastly refused by agent, supervisor, reissue desk, and redcoat at airport. (I ended up with a connection getting in 5 hours later and $1200 in vouchers for the trouble).
In IT error? I can't believe that Delta's IT department would ever make a mistake.
ijgordon and hnewman like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I could also imagine DL overbooking F for a VIP of some kind, like a 360 or the CEO of a company with which they have a big corporate contract. Someone at DL has the power to put a GM/PM back in Y so that someone that is a VIP for DL can sit in F on a flight they "must" be on.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by PupManS
This is a problem I've had a couple times. In many cases, the GA is running upgrade process in the wrong order between GUC/RUC and complimentary upgrades. I have had on 3 occasions (all out of SLC ironically enough) put in a RUC after check in. At some point, the RUC gets pulled, I get upgraded, get a seat, but then the ticket doesn't reissue. Then the complimentary process runs and somehow trumps the RUCs.

So in 2 of these cases I have been very firm that I was upgraded and had some sort of F seat assignment and I paid in instruments (RUC). Net, a redcoat shows up and removes someone from F and sends them to the back of the plane.

Combination of overly complex business rules and technology, and poor training practices.
This exact thing has happened to me as well. I was surprised that my seat had disappeared and even more surprised when the downgraded the DM who had just been upgraded.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I highly doubt DL (or any other US airline for that matter) gives out confirmed upgrades and then re-sells the seat in F. It's simply not worth the negative publicity. Most likely either the OP misheard or the hearsay from the other pax was wrong. Downgrades happen, but they're almost always a result of an equipment swap. The agent might not even know about it if the eq swap is done hours before the flight.

From a former agent, I can tell you they book in advance. They have their own peeps for that, and those peeps have a direct line into airline system ops centers to handle this stuff outside of the purview of the gate. How far in advance I don't know, but I had numerous on flights I worked post-9/11 and all of them already had a confirmed booking. I don't know that they're even required to ID themselves to anyone (gate, crew, etc.) anymore. I hate to be all captain obvious, but it wouldn't make much sense for an undercover Air Marshall to go up to the agent, identify themselves *in public* and say you have to book/upgrade me. And if they did, odds are the agent wouldn't know how to book them anyway.
They certainly do goto gate and get placed on a flight by GA. I've seen it happen, and know of gate agents that have had to handle it. Yes majority of flights it's handled before hand. However not all flights are. I believe they're supposed to I'D to crew. Otherwise what stops a pilot who's been deputizied and is carrying a gun from shooting the FAM? How would crew know that its ok for them to have a gun if it becomes visible? (Shouldn't happen, but it does happen)
Widgets likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've posted about this before but I had this happen to me once -- they paged me to the podium to give me my upgraded BP, then a few minutes later paged me to apologize and rescind the upgrade because they needed the seat to accommodate a displaced F pax due to IRROPs handling. Which was fine with me, I would hope for the same accommodation if the situation were reversed.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This has happened to me three times over the years. Looking at it from the other side, I have been upgraded twice after taking my seat in either Y or C+.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They certainly do goto gate and get placed on a flight by GA. I've seen it happen, and know of gate agents that have had to handle it. Yes majority of flights it's handled before hand. However not all flights are. I believe they're supposed to I'D to crew. Otherwise what stops a pilot who's been deputizied and is carrying a gun from shooting the FAM? How would crew know that its ok for them to have a gun if it becomes visible? (Shouldn't happen, but it does happen)
Or if the FAM accidentally leaves his firearm in the bathroom.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I could also imagine DL overbooking F for a VIP of some kind, like a 360 or the CEO of a company with which they have a big corporate contract. Someone at DL has the power to put a GM/PM back in Y so that someone that is a VIP for DL can sit in F on a flight they "must" be on.
This is my guess. A high value customer needed the seat and got it. I am sure they exist out there and DL is willing to accomodate to keep their business.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think UA does (or did) it for a particular congressperson from Houston.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
I think once an upgrade has been cleared, they cannot unclear it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by manually
I think once an upgrade has been cleared, they cannot unclear it.
You may think that, but I wrote about a direct personal experience to the contrary 5 posts earlier.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
You may think that, but I wrote about a direct personal experience to the contrary 5 posts earlier.
Granted you have a point because the upgrade happened a few minutes apart from when you were un-upgraded. I was referring to getting an upgrade during the upgrade window of 5 days and then at the airport un upgrading you.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
American Airlines has "guaranteed availability" for Exec Platinum customers, but for Y cabin. If purchased more than 24h out, Exec Plats can get on to sold-out flights in Y by paying full-Y.

Slightly different than this scenario, but it is a published benefit. Presumably the Full Y fare offsets the bump cost of another Y pax.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
American Airlines has "guaranteed availability" for Exec Platinum customers, but for Y cabin. If purchased more than 24h out, Exec Plats can get on to sold-out flights in Y by paying full-Y.

Slightly different than this scenario, but it is a published benefit. Presumably the Full Y fare offsets the bump cost of another Y pax.
PMNW and then DL used to have a similar benefit, but IIRC it's 48 hours (and perhaps was seven days for WBC much earlier???). I once asked how this would work if the flight were indeed oversold and was told that the airline would pay someone to get off.

Once I witnessed two people being downgraded from WBC to coach TATL after I (and my seatmate) was rebooked during IROPs. They commented about us occupying their seats when boarding and we just smiled at each other. At boarding, the GA explicitly gave me the aisle seat as a Plat while my Gold seatmate was given the window.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by manually
Granted you have a point because the upgrade happened a few minutes apart from when you were un-upgraded. I was referring to getting an upgrade during the upgrade window of 5 days and then at the airport un upgrading you.
I agree that seems much much less likely, and I believe others have said you'd be entitled to downgrade compensation in such a circumstance (I forget whether that's actually been tested)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.