Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have a Delta AMEX card and elite status question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here have a Delta AMEX card and elite status question?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I think the answer to both questions is a combination of spouses and business cards. If you and a spouse both had Plat and Reserve cards, that would be a total of 4 certs per year (not that I would do that - that's $1250/year in CC fees for those "free" tickets!)

By the same token, if one held personal and business versions of Plat and Reserve and spend $220k between them you would be at 110k MQM. If your spouse also had a reserve, spent another $30k, and gifted you their bonus MQM, you would be at 125k MQM without ever stepping on a plane, and just another $30k of spend shy of the spend waiver.

So..... Husband and wife with a business, 5 Delta AmEx cards, $1,800 in annual fees, and $280,000 in annual spend would get you DM without ever stepping on a plane. Or, you could put $150k on a DPJ card and get DM instantly.
Don't forget: the annual fees are prorated by month. So, if you really want to get down in the details, you can upgrade a platinum card at 79,999 in YTD spend. (in fact you can upgrade it even if you've passed the 30k/60k in additional spend and get the boosts) The next dollar will earn you the first reserve bonus. Then you focus on that card for the next 30k in spend, earn the bonus, then downgrade it. Depending on your spending patterns, you only have to hold the reserve for a few months. It just so happens that my annual fees are assessed on one card in July and the other in December. I time it so that I'm holding that card as reserve when the annual fee is assessed because that's when you get the companion certificate. So, If I upgrade in mid June, I save myself a few months of reserve's annual fee, but I still get the benefits of the F/J reserve companion certificate without shelling out $450 for the annual fee.

FWIW, my parents with small businesses hate traveling, so I have been able to benefit for years with their business spend that they put on cards associated with my account. It's been nice, but they are selfish and have decided to start to slowly wind down the work and retire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.