Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking for someone else- select preferred seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

A friend of mine is traveling to Greece. Her and her companion have no status, so when she goes to book the ticket she's not even given the option to pay for Preferred seats. I'm Platinum and when I look I can choose Preferred seats. If I booked for her and her companion (I'm not traveling) could I pick Preferred seats for them?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, booking for them won't provide access. They must be travelling with you on same PNR for complimentary access. Option to pay for Preferred Seating is provided 45 days prior to departure.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...d-seating.html
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
A hack that used to work, (but may not work anymore), is to book all three of you, select the seats you want, and then call in and remove yourself from the reservation while you are still within the 24 hour cutoff. I think this does not work anymore for Comfort+ seats, but it *might* work for preferred seats.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
A hack that used to work, (but may not work anymore), is to book all three of you, select the seats you want, and then call in and remove yourself from the reservation while you are still within the 24 hour cutoff. I think this does not work anymore for Comfort+ seats, but it *might* work for preferred seats.
I've had success when booking with two different methods. IE I use a companion cert for 2 tickets, then book 2 award tickets and link the PNRs. Rep selected preferred seats for all over the phone. I would think doing so here (being on separate PNRs) would be easier to do.

Since he's PM, I would book using whatever method desired for the others, then book an award ticket for himself, then redeposit.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Why does anyone think these work arounds are fair????? Do you want to "show off" that you can get things? I find this unacceptable and not fair to the rest of us who
play by the rules. Good seats can be difficult enough, without having to compete with people who did not even earn status.
Often1 and eastindywalrus like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta, United
Other than being more forward in the plane preferred seats are not any better seats than std. seats except in one case. As such, the money will not be well spent.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Why does anyone think these work arounds are fair????? Do you want to "show off" that you can get things? I find this unacceptable and not fair to the rest of us who
play by the rules. Good seats can be difficult enough, without having to compete with people who did not even earn status.
It is also, if repeated, a good way to get one's SM account and status revoked.

No different than the people who would book D1 close in and then cancel it so their upgrade would clear rather than having someone but it
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Other than being more forward in the plane preferred seats are not any better seats than std. seats except in one case. As such, the money will not be well spent.
It is not uncommon that selecting only non preferred seats leaves you with nothing but scattered middles, while preferred seats would have 2 or 3 abreast available.

It does not matter that on an empty flight the seats you can chose are about the same, all that counts is the seats one can actually chose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.