Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX domestic to international

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

LAX domestic to international

Does delta have a bus or transfer hallway to allow you to avoid going through security for a domestic to international connection? I'm flying AVP>DTW>LAX>SYD in May and I'll have plenty of layover time (8+ hours) but would rather not have to deal with security again if I don't have to.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's an airside shuttle between T2, T3, and TBIT. DL41 has been departing out of T2 these days while VA2 departs from TBIT. DTW-LAX flights generally arrive in T3, although 1714 uses T2.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

So it's likely then that I won't even have to change terminals? Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeatherDsyd
So it's likely then that I won't even have to change terminals? Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge.
No, it's likely you'll have to take the shuttle between T3 and T2 -- assuming you are flying actual DL metal (flight 41) to SYD and not the VA codeshare flight. The exception is if you are on DL1714 from DTW where you could arrive and depart from T2. But that flight leaves at 7:00AM, so there's no way you can catch it from AVP unless you overnight at DTW.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Ah, I'm with you now, sorry. I'm on all DL (2911 from DTW) no codeshares. Shuttle sounds better than security lines.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Even if your flight departs from TBIT, there is also an airside shuttle between T2/T3 and TBIT. So you are protected in any case.
HeatherDsyd likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
The drawback is the return flight....if you are returning through LAX from SYD....and they haven't changed it since last Nov.

Arrival is of course through Immigration, then baggage, then customs and finally bag recheck.
Then you are effectively dropped out of the terminal.
As in walk to your departing terminal, go through security as if you were just dropped off at the airport.

Re-check to see that you don't have any left over water in your water bottle you kept from the long haul...or TSA will treat you like an idiot. (Not done it, but have seen it)
HeatherDsyd likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BHammy
The drawback is the return flight....if you are returning through LAX from SYD....and they haven't changed it since last Nov.
Arrival is of course through Immigration, then baggage, then customs and finally bag recheck.
Then you are effectively dropped out of the terminal.
As in walk to your departing terminal, go through security as if you were just dropped off at the airport.
Same as any USA international arrival.... you always have to go through USA customs and reclear security for an onwards USA flight.
HeatherDsyd and ryw like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Same as any USA international arrival.... you always have to go through USA customs and reclear security for an onwards USA flight.
But LAX int'l->dom used to be "internal" like in SYD - not thrown out into general population as they have re-engineered it.

And departure from these international airports arrive into the US as domestic connections (have pre-cleared before boarding):
https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BHammy
But LAX int'l->dom used to be "internal" like in SYD - not thrown out into general population as they have re-engineered it.

And departure from these international airports arrive into the US as domestic connections (have pre-cleared before boarding):
https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
I'm confused? I->D has always operated same way. You clear immigration, pickup bags, clear customs, recheck bags, clear security, board flight. Not sure how that's any different today.

SYD you not only do the same, but have to catch a bus to the domestic airport terminals.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm confused? I->D has always operated same way. You clear immigration, pickup bags, clear customs, recheck bags, clear security, board flight. Not sure how that's any different today.
Some airports/terminals the TSA checkpoint you go thru is only for arriving international passengers. I think these generally go quicker as there isn't an ID check and you don't have people holding up the line with "What, I can't bring this six pack of water bottles with me?" issues.

Other places you are dumped out in the main terminal and have to clear TSA with the hordes.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Some airports/terminals the TSA checkpoint you go thru is only for arriving international passengers. I think these generally go quicker as there isn't an ID check and you don't have people holding up the line with "What, I can't bring this six pack of water bottles with me?" issues.

Other places you are dumped out in the main terminal and have to clear TSA with the hordes.
There's still an ID check (At least last time I went through one). Might be shorter, might not depends on how many people are going through at that moment. Regardless, doesn't explain the post I replied to.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
SYD you not only do the same, but have to catch a bus to the domestic airport terminals.

In SYD - you're correct, I'm thinking of AKL-SYD-LAX where there is a re screening of carry on bags - no ID check.

Several airports (in posted link) have pre-clearance - so they are not all the same way as its always done...in these departures, you check bags, clear security, clear customs, board flight. Upon US arrival, you walk off jetbridge into terminal.

But I seem to remember a few to several years back - when LAX was under construction (felt like opening scene of Joe vs Volcano) - that there was immigration, bags, customs, recheck bags, but NOT dumped out into general population to clear security again.
I remember those years (2x annual trips), because I wish they would go back to that...it made for easier transitions than having to walk outside to the new terminal connection.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Some airports/terminals the TSA checkpoint you go thru is only for arriving international passengers. I think these generally go quicker as there isn't an ID check and you don't have people holding up the line with "What, I can't bring this six pack of water bottles with me?" issues. Other places you are dumped out in the main terminal and have to clear TSA with the hordes.
I thought that the huge LAX renovation included a new TSA checkpoint over near where customs dumps you towards the T4 side. I had assumed this was to handle transits. It was kind of mixed in with the already completed T4-Bradly connector, but supposed to be done later.

Anybody know the real details?

Last edited by exwannabe; Mar 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HeatherDsyd
Does delta have a bus or transfer hallway to allow you to avoid going through security for a domestic to international connection? I'm flying AVP>DTW>LAX>SYD in May and I'll have plenty of layover time (8+ hours) but would rather not have to deal with security again if I don't have to.
8+ hours - get out of the airport and enjoy the city.
bsagator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.