LAX domestic to international

Reply

Old Mar 13, 19, 11:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
LAX domestic to international

Does delta have a bus or transfer hallway to allow you to avoid going through security for a domestic to international connection? I'm flying AVP>DTW>LAX>SYD in May and I'll have plenty of layover time (8+ hours) but would rather not have to deal with security again if I don't have to.
HeatherDsyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 12:11 pm
  #2  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,141
There's an airside shuttle between T2, T3, and TBIT. DL41 has been departing out of T2 these days while VA2 departs from TBIT. DTW-LAX flights generally arrive in T3, although 1714 uses T2.
LBJ is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:06 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
So it's likely then that I won't even have to change terminals? Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge.
HeatherDsyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:33 pm
  #4  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,141
Originally Posted by HeatherDsyd View Post
So it's likely then that I won't even have to change terminals? Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge.
No, it's likely you'll have to take the shuttle between T3 and T2 -- assuming you are flying actual DL metal (flight 41) to SYD and not the VA codeshare flight. The exception is if you are on DL1714 from DTW where you could arrive and depart from T2. But that flight leaves at 7:00AM, so there's no way you can catch it from AVP unless you overnight at DTW.
LBJ is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 4:40 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Ah, I'm with you now, sorry. I'm on all DL (2911 from DTW) no codeshares. Shuttle sounds better than security lines.
Spiff likes this.
HeatherDsyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 10:03 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
Posts: 7,121
Even if your flight departs from TBIT, there is also an airside shuttle between T2/T3 and TBIT. So you are protected in any case.
HeatherDsyd likes this.
CPMaverick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CHA
Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott LT PP Elite w/Amb, Hertz-PC
Posts: 404
The drawback is the return flight....if you are returning through LAX from SYD....and they haven't changed it since last Nov.

Arrival is of course through Immigration, then baggage, then customs and finally bag recheck.
Then you are effectively dropped out of the terminal.
As in walk to your departing terminal, go through security as if you were just dropped off at the airport.

Re-check to see that you don't have any left over water in your water bottle you kept from the long haul...or TSA will treat you like an idiot. (Not done it, but have seen it)
HeatherDsyd likes this.
BHammy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
Posts: 7,121
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
The drawback is the return flight....if you are returning through LAX from SYD....and they haven't changed it since last Nov.
Arrival is of course through Immigration, then baggage, then customs and finally bag recheck.
Then you are effectively dropped out of the terminal.
As in walk to your departing terminal, go through security as if you were just dropped off at the airport.
Same as any USA international arrival.... you always have to go through USA customs and reclear security for an onwards USA flight.
HeatherDsyd and ryw like this.
CPMaverick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 9:02 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CHA
Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott LT PP Elite w/Amb, Hertz-PC
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Same as any USA international arrival.... you always have to go through USA customs and reclear security for an onwards USA flight.
But LAX int'l->dom used to be "internal" like in SYD - not thrown out into general population as they have re-engineered it.

And departure from these international airports arrive into the US as domestic connections (have pre-cleared before boarding):
https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
BHammy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:32 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,408
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
But LAX int'l->dom used to be "internal" like in SYD - not thrown out into general population as they have re-engineered it.

And departure from these international airports arrive into the US as domestic connections (have pre-cleared before boarding):
https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
I'm confused? I->D has always operated same way. You clear immigration, pickup bags, clear customs, recheck bags, clear security, board flight. Not sure how that's any different today.

SYD you not only do the same, but have to catch a bus to the domestic airport terminals.
CPMaverick likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Posts: 4,516
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I'm confused? I->D has always operated same way. You clear immigration, pickup bags, clear customs, recheck bags, clear security, board flight. Not sure how that's any different today.
Some airports/terminals the TSA checkpoint you go thru is only for arriving international passengers. I think these generally go quicker as there isn't an ID check and you don't have people holding up the line with "What, I can't bring this six pack of water bottles with me?" issues.

Other places you are dumped out in the main terminal and have to clear TSA with the hordes.
TheMadBrewer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:50 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,408
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Some airports/terminals the TSA checkpoint you go thru is only for arriving international passengers. I think these generally go quicker as there isn't an ID check and you don't have people holding up the line with "What, I can't bring this six pack of water bottles with me?" issues.

Other places you are dumped out in the main terminal and have to clear TSA with the hordes.
There's still an ID check (At least last time I went through one). Might be shorter, might not depends on how many people are going through at that moment. Regardless, doesn't explain the post I replied to.
CPMaverick likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:05 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CHA
Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott LT PP Elite w/Amb, Hertz-PC
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I'm confused? I->D has always operated same way. You clear immigration, pickup bags, clear customs, recheck bags, clear security, board flight. Not sure how that's any different today.
SYD you not only do the same, but have to catch a bus to the domestic airport terminals.

In SYD - you're correct, I'm thinking of AKL-SYD-LAX where there is a re screening of carry on bags - no ID check.

Several airports (in posted link) have pre-clearance - so they are not all the same way as its always done...in these departures, you check bags, clear security, clear customs, board flight. Upon US arrival, you walk off jetbridge into terminal.

But I seem to remember a few to several years back - when LAX was under construction (felt like opening scene of Joe vs Volcano) - that there was immigration, bags, customs, recheck bags, but NOT dumped out into general population to clear security again.
I remember those years (2x annual trips), because I wish they would go back to that...it made for easier transitions than having to walk outside to the new terminal connection.
BHammy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:12 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 5,411
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Some airports/terminals the TSA checkpoint you go thru is only for arriving international passengers. I think these generally go quicker as there isn't an ID check and you don't have people holding up the line with "What, I can't bring this six pack of water bottles with me?" issues. Other places you are dumped out in the main terminal and have to clear TSA with the hordes.
I thought that the huge LAX renovation included a new TSA checkpoint over near where customs dumps you towards the T4 side. I had assumed this was to handle transits. It was kind of mixed in with the already completed T4-Bradly connector, but supposed to be done later.

Anybody know the real details?

Last edited by exwannabe; Mar 17, 19 at 2:18 pm
exwannabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:45 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Posts: 1,592
Originally Posted by HeatherDsyd View Post
Does delta have a bus or transfer hallway to allow you to avoid going through security for a domestic to international connection? I'm flying AVP>DTW>LAX>SYD in May and I'll have plenty of layover time (8+ hours) but would rather not have to deal with security again if I don't have to.
8+ hours - get out of the airport and enjoy the city.
bsagator likes this.
Repooc17 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread