Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta codeshare Virgin Premium Select

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Delta codeshare Virgin Premium Select 👎

I recently did this TYS-ATL-LHR, RT and was not pleased with the Virgin Premium Select product. Seats weren’t very comfortable and only had a foot pedal on the back of the seat in front of you (like the trains in Europe). The VOD was old and hard to see, food was so-so, and the service was indifferent. I had gotten a pre-departure e-mail from Virgin showing a separate snack bar area available for PS, which turned out to be for Upper Class only and I was curtly directed to a snack bowl in the back of the galley.

BTW, the TYS-ATL-TYS segments in FC on Delta were good.

My only other PS experience was DTW-NRT on Delta metal last year and was very pleased with the product. Shouldn’t Delta have a standard branding with the PS product when code-sharing?

Very dissapointung - I will pay closer attention to flight numbers indicating codeshares when I book in the future,

Last edited by EarlVolFan; Mar 11, 2019 at 5:44 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
Shouldn’t Delta have a standard branding with the PS product when code-sharing?
How do you propose that would work?

Very dissapointung - I will pay closer attention to flight numbers indicating codeshares when I book in the future,
That's not a flight number thing. DOT rules have mandated disclosure of operating carrier when different from the marketing carrier for two decades - online, and orally when booking by phone. It's the reason behind the 'Delta xxxx operated by KLM' announcement when you get rebooked in IROPs headed back from AMS.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...38.pdf#page=14

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:30 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The VS product is Premium Economy. It is not the same as the DL Premium Select.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Delta sells it as Premium Select.

A quick look at Virgin’s website shows that they do indeed sell a ‘Premium’ class seat. The ‘Economy Delight’ product is their Premuim Economy.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The VS product is Premium Economy. It is not the same as the DL Premium Select.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:43 am
Original Poster

If Delta is going to sell Premium Select seats on a their website as a codeshare, there should be the same quality standards. The flight number, as I recall was 4xxx, with an asterisk beside it, referring to the fine print below sating it was a Virgin flight.

Delta dovetails this with their First Class product on the connecting flights to the code share just like their own PS product. Why shouldn’t I expect the same quality of service on the Virgin PS product?

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How do you propose that would work?

That's not a flight number thing. DOT rules have mandated disclosure of operating carrier when different from the marketing carrier for two decades - online, and orally when booking by phone. It's the reason behind the 'Delta xxxx operated by KLM' announcement when you get rebooked in IROPs headed back from AMS.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...38.pdf#page=14
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite

A quick look at Virgin’s website shows that they do indeed sell a ‘Premium’ class seat. The ‘Economy Delight’ product is their Premuim Economy.

No, "Economy Delight" is another truly-coach product. "Premium Economy" is Virgin's "Premium Economy" product. It is similar to Delta's Premium Select experience on the A350 and, now, half of the 777 fleet as far as the seat product goes. It is not similar to Delta's Comfort+.

I presume that you got into Delta F on the TYS-ATL and ATL-TYS legs as an upgrade thanks to DM status.

I will admit it is confusing.

The good news is that, if you can find the seats, you can upgrade from Virgin's "Premium Economy" into Upper Class for 25,000 miles each way if it is booked with the Delta codeshare flight number.

"AuburnVol"
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
My opinion differs from the OP’s. I’ve done several flights in VS Premium Economy (not Premium Delight) and liked it a lot. The seats are quite a bit wider (~2 inches) than the Delta PS seats. I especially like the bulkhead PE seats on VS, for which they bring out pleather foot cushions after takeoff. Those seats are held for people with disabilities but you can sometimes get one at the gate. I enjoyed the meals and have always found the FAs to be helpful and friendly. Nice amenity kits. I mostly read on airplanes, so am less attuned to AVOD differences.
FlyfromLAS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
My opinion differs from the OP’s. I’ve done several flights in VS Premium Economy (not Premium Delight) and liked it a lot. The seats are quite a bit wider (~2 inches) than the Delta PS seats. I especially like the bulkhead PE seats on VS, for which they bring out pleather foot cushions after takeoff. Those seats are held for people with disabilities but you can sometimes get one at the gate. I enjoyed the meals and have always found the FAs to be helpful and friendly. Nice amenity kits. I mostly read on airplanes, so am less attuned to AVOD differences.
I haven’t flow Delta Premium Select, so I can’t make a direct comparison, but I have flow Premium Economy on Virgin numerous times. I was also very pleased with both the hard and soft product. The width of the seats (I believe VS still has the widest premium economy seats of any carrier) makes a big difference in comfort. I also personally prefer Vera (Virgin’s IFE system) to Delta’s IFE – specifically, the “What’s on Vera” overview, the ability to bookmark movies you’re interested in watching, and the handset remote. I’ve also flown BA’s W product and VS’s was much better.
FlyfromLAS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I presume that you got into Delta F on the TYS-ATL and ATL-TYS legs as an upgrade thanks to DM status.
There was a time when DL first started rolling out the PS class, that the connecting domestic segments would book into F; it's possible OP booked at a time where that was the case; or the codeshare fares still have the domestic segments book F.
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Same. I had quite a nice experience on my VS flight from JFK-MAN last year. I'm not sure how much the product varies across their fleet, but I really enjoyed my PE seat on the 747 upper deck. The window seat storage bins were great. AVOD was pretty average, much better than DLs old AVOD seen on the 767s/738s, but not quite as nice DLs newer AVOD systems. IIRC, it was about $300 more than regular Y, which for such a short overnight flight I considered to be a good value for the extra comfort.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If Delta is going to sell Premium Select seats on a their website as a codeshare, there should be the same quality standards. The flight number, as I recall was 4xxx, with an asterisk beside it, referring to the fine print below sating it was a Virgin flight.

Delta dovetails this with their First Class product on the connecting flights to the code share just like their own PS product. Why shouldn’t I expect the same quality of service on the Virgin PS product?

You seem to misunderstand what codeshare means. It simply means one airline selling a seat on another. No airline in the world follows the standard you're stating. It's part of reason why, as noted above, DOT requires airlines to let you know the operating carrier when booking codeshares.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

You are quite simply wrong.

PE is definitely not the same as Economy Delight which is a subset of Economy

Premium Economy is a totally different cabin to economy with different seats, more leg room (more even than economy extra leg room seats) meals and baggage allowance amongst other features.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I have to agree with others, I find Virgin’s Premium Economy to be a great hard/soft product. From a service perspective, it’s been as good as Delta One (obviously the hard product isn’t as good but the seat is wide/comfortable). I haven’t flown Premium Select but can’t conceive of it being demonstrably better than Virgin Premium Economy.

Now, Economy Delight is different. Economy Delight is the equivalent of Comfort+, albeit with better service in my experience. As an example, last year I did C+ from SEA to JFK and ED from JFK to LHR. Even accounting for the fact that I was seated next to two lap children in the C+ flight (an actual violation of FAA rules that the FAs only enforced after said children started standing on the tray tables...), I still would’ve paid a premium for the ED product/service over C+. Hell, European domestic would’ve been better.

On the return, LHR-SEA, I was in Premium Economy on VS and as I said, its service was comparable to D1 and the seat, while not lie flat, was great (certainly better than the standard domestic first seat Delta uses on most of its transcons, which aren’t *that* much shorter in length), and I was in a middle seat! Interestingly, that ticket actually terminated in DEN, and the Delta SEA to DEN segment was matched as first class, not C+.

So I guess I wonder how Delta is matching some of these segments with VS. It would make sense for Delta to do ED :: C+, PE :: PS, UD :: D1, but Delta doesn’t truly offer three truly distinct classes of service on most of its routes, so I wonder. The PE paired with first class domestic thing is what throws me...

It it seems like you may have had an Econmy Delight seat, which would definitely be a downgrade from Premium Select. If that isn’t the case and you really were in PE, I’m seriously doubtful a true PS experience would’ve been any better.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think I know what happened. I think OP was probably on one of VS's old A340's, which may have been swapped out from a 787 due to the ongoing engine issues. While the seats are decent on these, the a/c certainly feels worn out. Also, instead of having the Premium Economy snack wall, it is just snacks set out in the galley between UC and PE.
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

According to Virgin, I’m simply right...

Delta’s Comfort Plus = Virgin’s Economy Delight
According to Viirgin’s website their Premium (there is no word Economy in their syntax) seating is supposed to be equivalent to Delta’s Premium Select,

I contend it is not.

Delta’s PS product has a seat that has a recliner-like leg rest for support, Virgin’s does not. I had bulkhead on the Virgin outbound and I did not enjoy the Naugahyde wedge foot pillows that we were given. I also believe the food, amenities and level of service is inferior to Delta’s.

Before all of you Virgin apologists get defensive, this post is in the Delta forum, which is for people like me who travel 99% of the time on Delta metal for a reason, and is meant to point out my perception of the product that Delta is selling us as a ‘Premium Select’ product, which did include seats in FC for the Delta connecting segments.

The Virgin flights were on an Airbus, not a 747, which I have flown in prior years on Virgin that I had positive memories of.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You are quite simply wrong.

PE is definitely not the same as Economy Delight which is a subset of Economy

Premium Economy is a totally different cabin to economy with different seats, more leg room (more even than economy extra leg room seats) meals and baggage allowance amongst other features.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.