Search

Westjet redeemable miles and MQM?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Westjet redeemable miles and MQM?

Hi,

I'm a Delta PM. I'll be flying from NYC to YYC in March, and there aren't many good options.
Google flights dhows an option through Westjet. How does that affect my miles and MQMs earned? I know Westjet is affiliated with Delta, but not sure exactly how it all works out.

Thanks!!

Departure Sat, Mar 16
Select flight
$558
round trip
6:05 AM
LaGuardia Airport LGA
Travel time: 1h 37m
7:42 AM
Toronto Pearson International Airport YYZ
WestJet
Economy
Boeing 737
WS 1201
Ticket also sold by Delta

1h 18m layover
Toronto YYZ
9:00 AM
Toronto Pearson International Airport YYZ
Travel time: 4h 5m
11:05 AM
Calgary International Airport YYC
WestJet
Economy
Boeing 787
WS 655
Often delayed by 30+ min
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
WestJet has a codeshare partnership with Delta, but is not a SkyTeam partner and, last time I traveled, did not recognize Medallion or SkyTeam status. So basically, you'll get your miles and MQMs as if you had flown Delta metal. You won't be able to choose your seat in advance (although I haven't yet been stuck in a middle seat), you won't be eligible for complimentary upgrades, and you'll have to pay to check a bag on the return flight (since you'll check in with WestJet rather than Delta.)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you book as DL-coded flights, they will earn miles/MQD's based on spend (and MQM's distance). If booked as WS-coded, miles/MQD's will be based on distance (refer to WS earnings table). Note that most economy fares do not earn 100% MQM's (unlike DL marketed flights).
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:53 am

Their staff was very friendly in my one experience with them. Soft product good, hard product not so good. As others have commented, no advance seat choice, but you do get full earning if you book through Delta. I don't think they have F on their 737 but do have an economy comfort-like product. If you show proof of medallion status they will probably waive your bag fee. If you ask at the gate (gate agents have more powers) if there are any benefits to Delta status that could get you a better seat, they might upgrade you.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I would be more curious how that works if you can actually buy that ticket from Delta?

Even if Google flights shows it, but my experience is Delta won't (by default) route you on Westjet if they fly there already. For example YYC has plenty of Delta flights from MSP, so I would think NYC to MSP to YYC?

Again I am just curious how that works.

I second those mentioning Westjet's soft product. Westjetters are amazing.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by defrosted
I would be more curious how that works if you can actually buy that ticket from Delta?

Even if Google flights shows it, but my experience is Delta won't (by default) route you on Westjet if they fly there already. For example YYC has plenty of Delta flights from MSP, so I would think NYC to MSP to YYC?
Yes and no. Delta will always favor its own routes over codeshares, but I've had cases, for instance, where I needed to get from YYZ to SBN. The "usual" routing would be all Delta/Delta Connection metal YYZ - DTW - SBN, but they did offer me YYZ - LGA (WS) - SBN (DL) as well.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by reimero
Yes and no. Delta will always favor its own routes over codeshares, but I've had cases, for instance, where I needed to get from YYZ to SBN. The "usual" routing would be all Delta/Delta Connection metal YYZ - DTW - SBN, but they did offer me YYZ - LGA (WS) - SBN (DL) as well.
YMMV.... indeed, very common on these forums.
Going to YYZ myself I had expected a Westjet option to show, but nothing.

Anyway I can see in some cases (as in your example) if one of the legs is DL metal then that would make sense but 100% codeshare as OP asked? I tried booking an inter Island on Hawaiian once using Delta website, it would let me redeem miles for it, but to purchase it required a connecting flight on Delta. Well at least that is what customer service said when all I got was an error code and that was their reason.

So this would mean OP would have to book with Westjet and try and claim the milage after?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
YMMV.... indeed, very common on these forums.
Going to YYZ myself I had expected a Westjet option to show, but nothing.

Anyway I can see in some cases (as in your example) if one of the legs is DL metal then that would make sense but 100% codeshare as OP asked? I tried booking an inter Island on Hawaiian once using Delta website, it would let me redeem miles for it, but to purchase it required a connecting flight on Delta. Well at least that is what customer service said when all I got was an error code and that was their reason.

So this would mean OP would have to book with Westjet and try and claim the milage after?
My reading of the SkyMiles terms & conditions is that in order to get miles and MQMs, you have to book through Delta or SkyTeam, Since WestJet is not a member of SkyTeam, I'm 95% sure that Delta won't give any mileage credit if you book through WS rather than DL.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:10 pm

Is there not a good connection through Seattle that would keep you on Delta metal?
i went from LAX to Vancouver a couple times last year and returned on WestJet once and made sure to take the Delta connection the next time. It’s not a terrible seat, but it’s not great (especially if you’re used to + seats) and WestJet seems to be prone to delays. Since you’re already doing a one-stop anyway...

Otherwise, if you book through Delta you’ll get MQMs and miles calculated the same as on Delta metal. I never tried talking to a gate agent, but there’s no written policy I found online about any status benefits while traveling and I wasn’t able to pick seats ahead of time or anything.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My reading of the SkyMiles terms & conditions is that in order to get miles and MQMs, you have to book through Delta or SkyTeam, Since WestJet is not a member of SkyTeam, I'm 95% sure that Delta won't give any mileage credit if you book through WS rather than DL.
WS coded flights earn miles/MQM"s/MQD's just like other partners (see table linked above). Being a Skyteam member is not a requirement for mileage earning. VS is also not a Skyteam member.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Anybody have experience with how long it takes the MQMs to credit? I am 400 miles to gold, but waiting on a YYZ-LAX flight to post (and it turns out I could have flown through MSP and landed at the same time because of a delay, but premium economy is almost like Delta business class and only $100 on that route, including the bag that I needed to check).
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:00 am

DL definitely gives 50% MQM credit for miles flown when booked on a discounted fare with Westjet. 100% MQMs when booked with DL. I very frequently travel to Canada.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by kersie
Anybody have experience with how long it takes the MQMs to credit? I am 400 miles to gold, but waiting on a YYZ-LAX flight to post (and it turns out I could have flown through MSP and landed at the same time because of a delay, but premium economy is almost like Delta business class and only $100 on that route, including the bag that I needed to check).
In my experience it is within 3 days if you provided your DL number at booking.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:58 pm

As a reserve card holder and unbranded amex plat holder may one use a sky club if departing on WestJet and it is a delta coded flight?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
As a reserve card holder and unbranded amex plat holder may one use a sky club if departing on WestJet and it is a delta coded flight?
Yes.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.