Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA Threatened to Enforce Carry On Size Limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA Threatened to Enforce Carry On Size Limit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Large carry on problems

On a Sunday flight SRQ to ATL, we had, from the look of it , a lot of business men / frequent fliers with huge carry on luggage. I believe this because we boarded Comfort and the luggage compartment was already filled until ten seats back. It was a full flight and a nightmare to get off as our ( small ) carry ons were so far back. Staff did nothing about this except say sorry. In our other legs of the journey, all flights were equally full but a staff member stood in the aisles to assist in stowing luggage. Everyone was happy.

Last edited by gungadin; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:19 am Reason: auto mistake
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:58 pm

While I would normally applaud the gate agents for enforcing this restriction, the only time I've ever seen it actually happen was with my wife, carrying our then infant son on a flight from Seattle to Bangkok.
It was the only carry on she had with her (wasn't a second bag). So, ya, diapers, formula, etc, all in THAT bag. For about 20 hours of flight time plus the layover. We ended up over stuffing my bag to get the expansion zipper on her's closed.... And I was rather annoyed at that, when enforcement is so obviously as selective and arbitrary as it is, pick someone with an infant.
But, I'm 6'3" and 220 pounds, and almost always have trips longer than overnight, usually 3-4 nights, and am not too interested in wearing the same clothes multiple days... So I almost always pack a bag. It's usually less than three minutes to drop it at the bag drop line (always using the dedicated bag drop only line, never any of those "sky" priority counters with people wanting things that take time in line in front of you). And it's usually not more than a five minute wait at the bag claim.
It sure beats trying to pack 4 days of clean clothing, and something to work out in (including tennis shoes) into something small enough to carry on. And then trying to haul it through the airport. Making sure all my shampoos and shaving cream, etc, are small enough for TSA.
My bag has been delayed several times. Luckily each time on the way home so far, and delivered within 24 hours. Important business stuff goes in my carry on with me (usually just a laptop), with one light change of clothes in case the flight is delayed overnight (has happened more than my bag getting lost).
And under the seat in front of my is where I put my FEET. (6'3", but I do need an exit row or comfort+ to make that angle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.