Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One International w/ Infant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Delta One International w/ Infant

My wife and I have a ton of SkyMiles to burn through and just booked a NYC - Italy trip in Delta One on a A330. We will be traveling with our 6 month old infant in our laps but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the Delta skycots in Delta One specifically. Some feedback around economy skycots but nothing around Business so not even sure if that is an option. Multiple Delta customer service reps do not have a clue.

I know everyone has opinions on traveling with children in Business/First class but hoping to avoid that here. My money/miles and I can book what I want!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta PM
From this page: https://www.delta.com/us/en/children.../infant-travel

Per FAA regulations, children under 2 years of age are not allowed to sit in a seat equipped with an airbag seat belt.

When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas:
  • Aisle seats
  • Emergency exit rows
  • Any seat one row forward or one row back from an emergency exit row
  • Bulkhead seats when the safety seat is a combination car seat and stroller
  • Flatbed seats in the Delta One™ area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by hbrown352
My wife and I have a ton of SkyMiles to burn through and just booked a NYC - Italy trip in Delta One on a A330. We will be traveling with our 6 month old infant in our laps but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the Delta skycots in Delta One specifically. Some feedback around economy skycots but nothing around Business so not even sure if that is an option. Multiple Delta customer service reps do not have a clue.

I know everyone has opinions on traveling with children in Business/First class but hoping to avoid that here. My money/miles and I can book what I want!
There are no skycots in D1, only in main cabin. So, for a D1 flight on A330, no skycots.

DL does permit child restraint device in D1 - on the A350 ONLY. I didn't think DL allowed CRS in any D1 cabin - the A350 was news to me.

Reference: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...formation.html

Infants and Children and Flat-Bed Seats

All types of child restraint devices (CRS) - including the CARES harnesses – are not permitted in flat-bed Delta One and First Class seats. Exception: FAA approved CRS are permitted on the A350 aircraft in all cabins.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
No skycots in D1. Since infant is in lap, there is no issue in any D1 seat. Just hold him/her.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM

Remember to consider that you’ll need to pay a fee for the lap child. My understanding it is 10% of the prevailing for purchase ticket price at the time of booking. So, even though your own tickets would be from your SkyMiles “bank” account, the infant ticket would be in the $100s. I believe some folk overlook to purchase the lap ticket at the time of their booking and end up paying the 10% of a likely higher J ticket price at check-in time.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Probably should have mentioned that everything is already booked and my son was only 10k skymiles round trip. Fully confirmed on ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's still safer than driving, especially to Italy.
There haven't been many car crashes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Flying is safer than riding a motorcycle, but that doesn't mean that I have a right to take a flight but refuse to ever fasten my seatbelt because hey, it's safer.....

Part of the problem is that unsecured items and unsecured humans can cause injury to others sitting nearby.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by awayIgo
i fail to understand why reminding someone that it is not safe for,the child is terrible. What happens if there is severe turbulence.The child become a projectile. Google for incidents if you don’t believe me.
I understand that there are risks involved. It was the condescending and judgmental tone of "too bad with your money and your miles you decided the safety of your infant wasn’t worth them." The suggestion is that a parent who travels with a lap infant is a bad parent, is irresponsible, does not care about their child's safety, etc. It's just obviously more complex than that, not to mention that OP came looking for advice on Skycots.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Probably should have mentioned that everything is already booked and my son was only 10k skymiles round trip. Fully confirmed on ticket.
Just to confirm, you paid 10k SkyMiles for the lap infant ticket? I thought that could only be paid with $. That's a very good deal if it's true, as it usually costs $250-500 for a lap infant ticket to Europe when the parents are in J. The only times I got $100 tickets were when I bought Y tickets and immediately upgraded to J with GUCs, but the agent processed the lap infant ticket based on the Y ticket price before the upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I flew international D1 with a lap kid a few times. Like others have said, there are no skycots up front and I can’t even think of where they’d be able to install them if they wanted to.

When the child is too small for their own seat (not just physically, but also emotionally), D1 is the way to go (assuming you have the miles or the cash). It is vastly more comfortable sharing a D1 seat with an infant than a Y seat, and everyone sleeps much better.
Schuhfly likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

too bad with your money and your miles you decided the safety of your infant wasn’t worth them. Yes I know you can travel with a Lap child, but having your 6 month old as a projectile seems unnecessary
Strap them in and then there's no risk of flying all over the plane:

DaCus3 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Just to confirm, you paid 10k SkyMiles for the lap infant ticket? I thought that could only be paid with $. That's a very good deal if it's true, as it usually costs $250-500 for a lap infant ticket to Europe when the parents are in J. The only times I got $100 tickets were when I bought Y tickets and immediately upgraded to J with GUCs, but the agent processed the lap infant ticket based on the Y ticket price before the upgrade.
Yep but actually booked it through Virgin Atlantic. One way from Baltimore - Atlanta - Milan for 50k Virgin Atlantic miles per person, infant was 5k miles (10% of adult miles). Best deal I have ever seen by far.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Yep but actually booked it through Virgin Atlantic. One way from Baltimore - Atlanta - Milan for 50k Virgin Atlantic miles per person, infant was 5k miles (10% of adult miles). Best deal I have ever seen by far.
👍 not bad! Korean Air charges the same way, just 10% of adult ticket MILEAGE, not $.

Delta will definitely charge you 10% of adult ticket $, whether with an award, paid, GUC, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's 10% of the fare plus 100% of applicable taxes and fees.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's an important detail. You didn't book with DL miles - you booked with VS miles. VS (and BA) have intl infant fares at 10% of adult mileage - Delta does not. Delta's Infant redemptions get their own seat but at 100% of adult mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.