Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interesting "thanks for being DM" i actually liked...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting "thanks for being DM" i actually liked...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by indufan
Complete and utter BS.
I am guessing that you might mean one of three things:

a) The statement by the earlier poster is utter BS.
or
b) The actions of Delta are utter BS.
or
c) Something else I missed.

(why do people make posts and hope everyone understands what they are thinking?)
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
+1

Unfortunately, DL really likes to fire its best staff like that, usually in a bad manner with little notice and no consultation with staff. FUK ground staff are just as good, if not better, than NGO, yet everyone there is getting fired with less than 4 months notice - it coming as a big shock to everyone there. Something that DL has done so many times at so many stations (usually the best staffed ones), as it continually keeps shrinking. It's seems like DL is determined to put out its brightest stars of the best staff, by never holding onto them.
Any DL employee in a station that's closing has several options, including transferring to another station (across the system), another division, or a buyout if they decide not to stay with the company. FUK is a station staffed mainly with contractors, who will just move on to another contract when one airline pulls out. I know many DL employees at stations that closed that transferred elsewhere.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
duplicate post
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Jeez, how did Delta employees survive before diamond medallions? You all deserve some kind of humanitarian medal.
bonoman, NeedstoFly and CalebMCO like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
+1

Unfortunately, DL really likes to fire its best staff like that, usually in a bad manner with little notice and no consultation with staff. FUK ground staff are just as good, if not better, than NGO, yet everyone there is getting fired with less than 4 months notice - it coming as a big shock to everyone there. Something that DL has done so many times at so many stations (usually the best staffed ones), as it continually keeps shrinking. It's seems like DL is determined to put out its brightest stars of the best staff, by never holding onto them.
I agree with you,
I like the way Delta treat me.
But sometime they fire VERY good employer, I know one supervisor from the French service at Atlanta, because he is "friend" with his boss (who have been fire some week before). they fire him. Also the guy know very well (many bug) from most Delta & KLM/AF system and always find a solutions.
The guy is so nice, when he see I have a problem with a ticket (with a departure the next day). Because he is "off" the next day (at home with his kids), he give me his personal mobile #, and say me to call him if any problem (he can solve this from home).
Each time after that I have a problem with a ticket, this guy always call me back (rapidly), a real gentleman and very dedicated to his work. VERY sad situation...
In my eyes (as a customer), this is the bigger "lost" I have see in Delta...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Any DL employee in a station that's closing has several options, including transferring to another station (across the system), another division, or a buyout if they decide not to stay with the company. FUK is a station staffed mainly with contractors, who will just move on to another contract when one airline pulls out. I know many DL employees at stations that closed that transferred elsewhere.
Sometimes though that may not work. Often with DL's even shrinking footprint there are very few stations to choose from anyway in the region, and may be none in the country if the last station in a country was shut down, which makes a potential move much more difficult, if not outright impossible.

Anyhow, DL really has and has had a lot of very good staff, it's just always sad to see the really good and outstanding people be let go, even more so than the ever shrinking Delta route footprint. I mean it is what it is, just unfortunate and sad to see, that's all.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I agree with you,
I like the way Delta treat me.
But sometime they fire VERY good employer, I know one supervisor from the French service at Atlanta, because he is "friend" with his boss (who have been fire some week before). they fire him. Also the guy know very well (many bug) from most Delta & KLM/AF system and always find a solutions.
The guy is so nice, when he see I have a problem with a ticket (with a departure the next day). Because he is "off" the next day (at home with his kids), he give me his personal mobile #, and say me to call him if any problem (he can solve this from home).
Each time after that I have a problem with a ticket, this guy always call me back (rapidly), a real gentleman and very dedicated to his work. VERY sad situation...
In my eyes (as a customer), this is the bigger "lost" I have see in Delta...
Sadly, what you are describing is a liability and not an asset in the eyes of DL. DL does not like to see its staff actively helping customers in the way you describe and will take various measures to put a stop to it. (I mean from a business perspective I can see several reasons why, but it is rather myopic and ignoring the customer satisfaction and loyalty and the positive aspects of what it brings, which is the one thing that DL demonstrably just doesn't care about and puts next to zero value on.)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:48 am

Anyhow, DL really has and has had a lot of very good staff, it's just always sad to see the really good and outstanding people be let go, even more so than the ever shrinking Delta route footprint. I mean it is what it is, just unfortunate and sad to see, that's all.
You're right that Delta's shrunk in the Pacific, but from a global scale, they serve more destinations now than they did 6 years ago.

Delta's not going to serve cities that are unprofitable just for the sake of it. So yes, they've scaled back in some areas, but grown in others.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
Originally Posted by pgh234
I find it hard to believe that Delta makes money when I spend $500 R/T taking up space on a first class seat to Europe on a full flight, then get a $1000 VDB or EU Compensation Voucher. ...and then I repeat the process for about 8 years, collecting SkyPesos along the way. It makes me feel dirty for an employee to thank me for helping their company. haha

I have never explained the concept of my "stupid travel behavior" to anyone and not had their eyes glass over (in particular, my coworkers, friends, and every Porsche driver that has picked me up). Luckily my wife finally understood the year we traveled to Asia three times.

I would like the DL employees to please just stick to the "thanks for your status" line so I don't feel dirty, guilty, and weird about my hobbies when engaging in small talk with them.
It doesn't sound like anything you are doing is "illegal". You take advantage of fringes of the system that probably take a significant amount of your time and effort to execute (even though you may not feel it is arduous since it is somehow enjoyable). From Delta's perspective it actually might make sense to have their employees be very nice to you...you clearly feel some type of "conscience pang" when they greet you and the guilt may be usable to their advantage if managed appropriately...sounds like a reason for them to do more of this type of greeting not less...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:26 am

(I mean from a business perspective I can see several reasons why, but it is rather myopic and ignoring the customer satisfaction and loyalty and the positive aspects of what it brings, which is the one thing that DL demonstrably just doesn't care about and puts next to zero value on.)
I did not remember it "cost" any $ to solve the issues/problems I have, even this avoid Delta to give me some "compensation" after...
Example: to "reissue" a ticket with no change in the class or fare,cost nothing to Delta (except a little time from the agent), but this solve a huge problem at the airport and a possibility you miss your flight (and the consequence for Delta)), can you explain me your "business perspective"...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by vincentharris
he said "thanks for keeping me employed and my family fed, what do you do that keeps you in the air so much?.
This is where you reply “Thanks! Just what do you feed your family?”

Then just watch their expression... priceless.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I did not remember it "cost" any $ to solve the issues/problems I have, even this avoid Delta to give me some "compensation" after...
Example: to "reissue" a ticket with no change in the class or fare,cost nothing to Delta (except a little time from the agent), but this solve a huge problem at the airport and a possibility you miss your flight (and the consequence for Delta)), can you explain me your "business perspective"...
You did so yourself already yourself. Lost revenue. (Cost is not a factor in it, what you described "should" have been revenue to DL yet was not.)

Also, setting a precedent, a customer getting preferential treatment vs. others, expecting that in the future, talking about, then other customers asking for the same, etc.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:05 pm

You did so yourself already yourself. Lost revenue. (Cost is not a factor in it, what you described "should" have been revenue to DL yet was not.)
Sorry... I did not follow you... If Delta sell me a ticket, and I paid for it.
If this ticket have a problem, it is normal for Delta to solve the situation.
If a flight is cancel, and Delta provide me an "unconventional" solution to solve my return, it is a lost of revenue for Delta ? (Or Delta must abandon customers in problematic situation ?).
Or I must paid "more" to have Delta solve my problem ?
I also have been in a series of "bugs" on Delta/AF system, this person know this bugs, and made change in my ticket to solve the issue (this is not normal?)

I think is "normal" for Delta to solve bugs & issue with ticket, example... When you book an award ticket on Delta.com, on flight with China Eastern, before you made your flight. Delta MUST reissue the ticket and add manually your passeport #, if this is not done, it is a mess at the Chinese airport.
When I call for a problem, I did not ask for a "favor", I expect from Delta to solve issue with the ticket they have sold me (it is not normal ?)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
+1

I have not noticed any changes in the staff at NGO. I have been going there for the past 3 years and the staff has remained the same. I hope they don't make any changes as they are very nice. I have given my JWD cards mostly at that airport.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by gitismatt
regardless of the price you paid for the ticket, you contributed to the revenue of the airline and thus the overall profitability. delta just announced that they shared over $1bn back to their employees so I would really argue that your points #1 and #2 are incorrect. any extra cash given to delta most certainly does help their employees. as for #3 I have actually had more interesting conversations with people (employees and fellow pax) about my crazy mileage runs or other stupid travel behavior than I ever have about my travel for work. and I live in LAS which is always a guaranteed convo starter.
I actually got "called out" (in a friendly way) on an...er...unplanned mileage run that was the result of a whole bunch of IRROPSy incidents (multiple weather issues plus one delayed pilot due to his flight being late). It was a baggage agent, though, and we were laughing because he'd spent the previous day "babysitting" my luggage while I got thrown through multiple airports. We both had a good laugh, partly because (due to all of the issues) the routing was so crazy.

One thing to remember is that in many cases, the "stupid mileage run" still fills a seat that would have gone empty and SkyMiles is now set up so the airline is at least not losing money on RDM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.