Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fake News: Global upgrade certificate on China Eastern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Is this fake news?

We were able to use Harris’ existing Diamond global upgrade certificates to move them from economy into business class on their outbound China Eastern flight. At JFK, they boarded MU’s flagship 777-300ER, equipped with the airline’s best reverse-herringbone style business class seats.

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...s-in-one-trip/
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Fake news at it’s finest. Got to be on the lookout.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is this fake news?
Maybe they gave it to her as a favor due to her age/ status...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I also thought this was strange and untrue unless delta has changed its GUC policies.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 355F1
I also thought this was strange and untrue unless delta has changed its GUC policies.
And China Eastern....
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I commented that it was news to me that one could use GUCs on MU in the other thread. This is reassuring to me that I hadn't missed something and that the blog about the kid's * one* DM MR is not totally accurate.

BTW, just how/who could confirm the upgrade for kid and parent on MU with a DL GUC? I'm sure DL wouldn't pay for this except possibly in IROPs if something had gone badly wrong, and I'm sure MU wouldn't honor a DL GUC and would not even have a way to accept them. It's beyond a matter of having contacts within DL/MU to make it happen.

Could the blogger and MR booking service have done this for the (presumably good) publicity?
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Fake news and highly misleading. Sorry I clicked on it and gave the website/author a positive statistic.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the blogger and MR booking service have done this for the (presumably good) publicity?
The fact that Delta did not directly confirm the 8-year-old's newly minted Delta diamond status makes me believe this is fake news or, worse, a hoax designed to generate revenue for this mileage run and award booking scheme that charges customers money.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Seems this entire story is made up to drive traffic to this "mileage run consulting" service's website. Realistically, would any sane parents subject their child to this in order to have a chance at clearing upgrades on 2 roundtrip transcons/year?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Seems this entire story is made up to drive traffic to this "mileage run consulting" service's website. Realistically, would any sane parents subject their child to this in order to have a chance at clearing upgrades on 2 roundtrip transcons/year?
I was feeling skeptical the moment it said DM was worth $20,000 in benefits. But I didn't want to be a naysayer, I'm glad there is so much more to confirm this suspicion/shadiness.
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wimsta
I was feeling skeptical the moment it said DM was worth $20,000 in benefits. But I didn't want to be a naysayer, I'm glad there is so much more to confirm this suspicion/shadiness.
You know a blog has gone bonkers when it values DM more than TPG's valuations.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Even if you could use GUCs on MU, why would you? Seats in J are already cheap and you can get 40% of the distance in MQDs. I paid $2500 for a roundtrip to India and always use my GUCs on much more expensive KLM flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Even if you could use GUCs on MU, why would you? Seats in J are already cheap and you can get 40% of the distance in MQDs. I paid $2500 for a roundtrip to India and always use my GUCs on much more expensive KLM flights.
I also prefer to avoid flying MU.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also prefer to avoid flying MU.
I thought it represented good value. Food wasn't great and the portions were too small, but the seats were excellent and it was half the price of comparable flights. My biggest concern with MU is safety (particularly maintenance standards and the experience of the pilots).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
To save me time on the math, what route was it, and what was the MQD yield? I'll probably fly to India, then Sri Lanka later this year. You may be saving me a lot of time here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.