Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Policy violation or just bad luck? Upgrades clear at T-80 before check-ins finish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Policy violation or just bad luck? Upgrades clear at T-80 before check-ins finish

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I am getting sick of this. Upgrades clear nearly two hours before the flight in some cases. A flight cleared at least 95 minutes prior to departure today. It was a 739. I was #1 for 3 and I received the dreaded 01A seat on a 739 despite two other seats being available.

Before I knew the upgrades would clear so early - I made an effort to get to the gate early and left my house half an hour early (got there at T-65 instead of T-40 like normal) to say I did not want 01A. Unfortunately I ended up in this seat anyways. The gate agent refused to swap me with another person who got upgraded, so she placed me back in my original seat on coach (19C). What a joke.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
I am getting sick of this. Upgrades clear nearly two hours before the flight in some cases. A flight cleared at least 95 minutes prior to departure today. It was a 739. I was #1 for 3 and I received the dreaded 01A seat on a 739 despite two other seats being available.

Before I knew the upgrades would clear so early - I made an effort to get to the gate early and left my house half an hour early (got there at T-65 instead of T-40 like normal) to say I did not want 01A. Unfortunately I ended up in this seat anyways. The gate agent refused to swap me with another person who got upgraded, so she placed me back in my original seat on coach (19C). What a joke.
Generally this happens when a flight is overbooked.

Regardless DL, and all airlines I know of, clear front to back, left to right. Not like this is something new, or odd.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Generally this happens when a flight is overbooked.

Regardless DL, and all airlines I know of, clear front to back, left to right. Not like this is something new, or odd.
Yes, this was the excuse the gate agent used. But every flight I am on seems to be overbooked. I mean that somewhat seriously. Same day changes have become impossible because every flight is sold out. I've even had issues booking flights as early as a Thursday/Friday before a Sunday or Monday departure.

I am not sure why it would matter. It only takes them about 3 minutes to clear upgrades and standbys (as I was watching them do it as it happened on the app). When I got to the gate, there was no one in line and the gate agent was chatting with a colleague about non-work topics.

And yes, I know they load front to back, left to right. That is why I try to get to the gate early. Because that means that the person #1 on the list gets the worst seat, and I like to avoid that.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, this was the excuse the gate agent used. But every flight I am on seems to be overbooked. I mean that somewhat seriously. Same day changes have become impossible because every flight is sold out. I've even had issues booking flights as early as a Thursday/Friday before a Sunday or Monday departure.

I am not sure why it would matter. It only takes them about 3 minutes to clear upgrades and standbys (as I was watching them do it as it happened on the app). When I got to the gate, there was no one in line and the gate agent was chatting with a colleague about non-work topics.

And yes, I know they load front to back, left to right. That is why I try to get to the gate early. Because that means that the person #1 on the list gets the worst seat, and I like to avoid that.
I think they also do it to make it easier to know how over plane is. Once they've upgraded passengers and assigned seats to those without one, they know clearly how many they're looking at being over. They can then plan accordingly.
Of course means they can let the GA be a bit late if their previous flight gets delayed. Always better to get done now what you know must be done. Otherwise when it gets to later you might be short on time.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think they also do it to make it easier to know how over plane is. Once they've upgraded passengers and assigned seats to those without one, they know clearly how many they're looking at being over. They can then plan accordingly.
Of course means they can let the GA be a bit late if their previous flight gets delayed. Always better to get done now what you know must be done. Otherwise when it gets to later you might be short on time.
You're joking right?

There is literally a number on their Deltamatic screens that tell them how overbooked/oversold the flight is regardless of whether or not they have processed upgrades. The computer doesn't have to upgrade people to know how many total seats there are versus how many total number of confirmed butts there are to fill those seats.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
You're joking right?

There is literally a number on their Deltamatic screens that tell them how overbooked/oversold the flight is regardless of whether or not they have processed upgrades. The computer doesn't have to upgrade people to know how many total seats there are versus how many total number of confirmed butts there are to fill those seats.

It's like counting with your fingers.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

1A is not so horrible I would move back to coach. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me but I am only 5' 8" tall.
OHDL1 and FSUnole03 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
1A is not so horrible I would move back to coach. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me but I am only 5' 8" tall.
1A is terrible and moving back to coach is a no-brainer assuming it is a good coach seat. I am 6' 4".
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb

I've seen the upgrades clear around 2 hours before flight on a couple flights lately as well. Maybe 10-15 % of flights.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
To be fair, DL makes no promise about waiting to clear upgrades, do they? I believe they have stated that they will try to do it at least 40 minutes before departure. If coach is oversold and the problem can be solved by processing upgrades, I see no reason for them not to. I also think most people would take 1A over a coach seat. I happen to be more in your camp, where I prefer an aisle seat no matter what, including an aisle in coach over a window in F, but I don't think DL did anything wrong here.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:52 pm

1A is terrible and moving back to coach is a no-brainer assuming it is a good coach seat. I am 6' 4".
While I'm significantly shorter than you at 6'3.75 I guess I'm the minority who prefers this seat
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
To be fair, DL makes no promise about waiting to clear upgrades, do they? I believe they have stated that they will try to do it at least 40 minutes before departure. If coach is oversold and the problem can be solved by processing upgrades, I see no reason for them not to. I also think most people would take 1A over a coach seat. I happen to be more in your camp, where I prefer an aisle seat no matter what, including an aisle in coach over a window in F, but I don't think DL did anything wrong here.
Per customer care, policy is to clear them at T-45. This makes 100% intuitive sense as this is the check-in deadline for most major airports. I have missed upgrades in the past due to late ticket purchases (T-80 or so) that I have not checked in for yet. Even ignoring seat preference, there is a good reason not to clear upgrades until closer to departure.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're joking right?

Is there any reason to doubt the numbers of remaining seats shown on the DL app? My only qualification is that AFAIK the total number of remaining seats shown at the top of the standby list included remaining FC and C+ seats (numbers shown at the top ot the upgrade waitlist), which makes logical sense as NRSAs can clear into FC or C+ if seats are available and age/dress/employee status conditions are satisfied.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there any reason to doubt the numbers of remaining seats shown on the DL app? My only qualification is that AFAIK the total number of remaining seats shown at the top of the standby list included remaining FC and C+ seats (numbers shown at the top ot the upgrade waitlist), which makes logical sense as NRSAs can clear into FC or C+ if seats are available and age/dress/employee status conditions are satisfied.
The number appears accurate (although I believe that agents may have additional information around "likely missed connections" or the like before people are formally offloaded and therefore reflected in the seats available page).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.