Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL SEA <-> KIX Cancelled after Nov

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by ethernal
I'd blame them for even trying to be honest.

Delta needs to decide what they want to do with TPAC. If their strategy is to wait out the capacity glut / bloodbath then they should just do it - stop trying new weird secondary routes that likely won't be successful (e.g. SEA-KIX). The alternative (i.e., the United approach) is to actually invest in meaningful TPAC service and run losses in hope that they can retain market share when the glut subsides. Delta does not seem willing to do that (which is totally justifiable).

Delta is of course challenged by their lack of real TPAC hub (too much competition in LAX and not enough high value O/D relative to, e.g., SFO) which is why they made SEA. Unfortunately SEA is not exactly the best geographic location for a TPAC hub and Delta will always be playing second-fiddle to United on the west coast.

If Detroit wasn't dying, it would almost make more sense for Delta to try to re-invigorate DTW as a TPAC hub, but I don't see that happening with the current economic environment there.
Newsflash: Detroit's not dying. It's not 2007 anymore.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Joshua C
I'm not wanting to inject politics into this but Detroit was saved by pure luck. If GM and Chrysler bottom out under this administration or another GOP adminstration in the future then they are done for. The taxpayers won't bail them out again. But even DC wasn't able to save Detroit from bankruptcy.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Joshua C
Did you read my follow-up on this? Detroit is, at best, stagnating. Population continues to decline and per capita GDP lags the rest of the country (both in static value as well as growth rate). These are facts. Detroit is not unique - most midwestern cities face the same challenges.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Seem gone again for 2020

Originally Posted by BenA
Aha, finally... here’s something relatively authoritative - in this news dispatch from Delta’s VP of Seattle, the Osaka flight is advertised as “seasonal”. This wasn’t true in the original press release, for sure, but it seems like a good indication that they currently intend to bring it back for 2020:

Delta Air Lines - Tony's Regional Update - SEA - Winter 2019 ? Page 5
Looks to be gone again, likely due to COVID19. Can't seem to find any non-stop flights SEA-KIX now for late Spring and Summer travel even though, my friend is booked on the flight in April but hasn't been notified of rebooking.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Mar 4, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jiburi
Looks to be gone again, likely due to COVID19. Can't seem to find any non-stop flights SEA-KIX now for late Spring and Summer travel even though, my friend is booked on the flight in April but hasn't been notified of rebooking.

Jiburi
Yeah it was suspended for all of 2020 as of March 7/8 per the Japan reductions announced today.

Will be curious if it comes back at all.

https://news.delta.com/delta-reduces...e-due-covid-19

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.