Wiki Posts
Search

MCO Security Breach 2/2/2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
MCO Security Breach 2/2/2019

Heads up for anyone flying in an out of MCO today. A TSA officer committed suicide by jumping from a balcony in the Hyatt Atrium inside the airport and 4 people were able to breach security after panic erupted after a loud bang noise was heard. Everyone in Airsides 2 & 4 (Gates 70-129) had to be re-screened again and there are now massive lines and delays as a result of this.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/secu...-say/913554953

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Feb 2, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:55 pm

I was getting ready to jump in the shower to head to the airport for a 330 flight to Atl onto LAX. Called delta and pushed it to tomorrow via slc. I saw the nightmare that was becoming mco and didn’t want to end up stuck in Atl looking for a hotel superbowl eve.

Sorry about the agent and his/her family.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
A bit more over on the Southwest forum for whatever reason.

Orlando airport security is normally a mess - add in Saturday with heavy vacation and cruise traffic and - yikes!

By time most read this , they are probably getting back in shape.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
The incident happened at about 9:30 am. Incident response and clearing airside areas to allow pax screening to restart took until about 11:25 am.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:48 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think the title of this thread is misleading. There was no "security breach". Therefore I don't think it is appropriate to say there was such...it could cause people to go into a panic.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I think the title of this thread is misleading. There was no "security breach". Therefore I don't think it is appropriate to say there was such...it could cause people to go into a panic.
Yes there was a security breach. 4 passengers ran through the checkpoint afterwards unscreened as I assume they may have thought the noise was a gunshot.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yes, a minimal security breach.

A reasonable management team would have let it go. But our insane "better safe than sorry" thinking means we need to rescreen a few thousand people, even those already on planes.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Yes there was a security breach. 4 passengers ran through the checkpoint afterwards unscreened as I assume they may have thought the noise was a gunshot.
No, there's no gunshots. It was TSA screener that he jumping off balcony. He was committed suicide. He was being killed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.